This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Hall of Shame - Badcaps Photo Montage

HoNY, that'd be a nice motherboard if it were either recapped, or had the caps stripped from it and hung on a wall.

taz, I'm a lucky one. Gotten a few old Biostar socket 7s with bad cap brands (forget which) and all of them appeared fine...only tried two out.
    You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
    Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

Originally posted by tazwegion
      I've heard people say that capacitor failure of socket7 motherboards was rare due to the low power consumption of the processors from that era...
      Relatively uncommon, but did happen - as you observed. Apart from lower CPU power consumption, the number of large electrolytics was also much lower before the PII era. Most Pentium and earlier motherboards rarely had more than 4 electrolytics, and these did not filter large ripple currents from a switching VRM - which showed up only towards the end of the era when dual-rail Socket-7 P55C MMX CPUs and then the Super-7 socket showed up. Some of these still had linear regulators (with a heat-sink) - there wasn't much power being wasted dropping 3.45v to 2.8v/2.9v for Vcore. However, with 2.2v Super-7 CPUs like the K6-2 and later, switching regulators showed up, and there are examples of bad caps from cheap mobos of that era.

However, you probably won't find many bad caps on 486 or Pentium Socket-5 boards.

Comment

Thanks linuxguru... that's a better explaination, and tis' true I don't recall bad capacitors on older pre-SS7 motherboards, but I do remember encountering my first Luxon & G-L capacitors towards the apex of the SS7 era product.

Shroomie... Biostar is to motherboards, what Teapo & GSC are to Capacitors
        Viva LA Retro!

Comment

I know...I had a M7VIG400 in my main rig for most of a year. (And yes, it had OST and G-Luxon caps; all of them are fine so far.) It was an OK board, if you didn't want standard features like four back-panel USB ports, CPU voltage adjustment, and SATA...
          You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
          Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

Tazwegion: Thanks - BTW, I have two recapped Biostar M6VLA S-370 Via 8601 boards chugging away for the last 5 years - they're fine if you take care of the caps. I'd rate Jetway, PCChips/ECS and Soltek much lower on the scale.

Comment

Originally posted by Shroomie
              HoNY, that'd be a nice motherboard if it were either recapped, or had the caps stripped from it and hung on a wall.
              I can only buy Jamicon, Hitano (EXR series)them over here.
              I use Hitano and many of board after replacing working. But many of combination with OEM HW (such as ManLi, PC-Chips...) and higher power consumption is not 100% stable.
              Honny & -HoNY- not brothers, but friends who lives in same town

Comment

Pannasonic FM 2200uF 6.3V dead in week or so of folding (one out of 10 ones, yet still machine become unstable)

Bad apples happen even for the trusted brands. My first blow-off Panny
                Attached Files
                "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
                "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Comment

I think you installed it backward. Look at the negative pole in comparison to the identical values around it.

Don't feel bad, even I've done that a time or two...
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                  Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                  http://folding.stanford.edu/
                  Team : 49813
                  Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

The manufacturing test area at Boschert had scores of little round holes in the acoustic ceiling tiles from reversed and wrong-voltage caps that launched. Some holes still retained the corpus dilecti; others, the missile simply went through the tile.
                    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

lol

Sounds like fun, I once "detonated" a cap the size of a small grenade... good times, still have both eyes and all my fingers!
                      Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Some KSC caps from an LC-6550 psu. They are on the 5v sb line. As i have seen similiar failures in Seasonic SS400FS psu`s with Ost caps, i think this could be a mistake fro the manufakturer and not necesarily a faulth on the caps.
                        The right one was the first in the pi filter, therefore mos ripple current. The left has no bulging, but replaced too.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Topcat - geeee, you are right! A stupid, stupid careless mistake. My bad. I can't understand how I can did THAT mistake, but I did it.

Well, at least we all see what Pannyes are made off - a thick yellow stuff inside
                          "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
                          "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Comment

I have seen a Panasonic FC fail before, in my old VCR. It wasn't spilling out like this one, but the top was bulged a bit. Symptoms: VCR took ages to power on, every time you pressed Power it would cut off a second later. Eventually it would stay powered on, but took a further 5 minutes to 'warm up' before you could get a stable picture through it! Playing a tape during that time would cause it to snap

Eventually the VCR stopped working completely - no response, no matter how many times I press the Power button.
                            Trodas, it's possible that the board stencil was the wrong way round - it's not unknown! Check the voltage across the cap to see if it's positive or negative - negative, and it's the wrong way round.
                            You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Comment

GSC caps busted hard on GFX GF4MX440 card

User reporting "minor crashes" and are used to rebooting his machine at least 10 times per day...
                              Attached Files

Comment

Here's a few pictures of Choyo caps in a FIC AZ-11 motherboard. It worked for a long time until I retired it. I took it out the other day to play around with PVR software, and it booted up, ran a few minutes, then died. That's when I found out about badcaps... lol There's a total of 12 bad ones that I can see. I've changed 5 so far, that looked to be the worst ones, but no luck on getting it to boot. It's giving a video card error code. I'll have to hunt down 7 more and change the rest now, I guess.

Feel free to use the pictures in any way shape or form!
                                Attached Files

Comment

cehtr ?
                                  found in a seasonic redundant server psu module
                                  Attached Files

Comment

I've already seen that - bad, of course - https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2372

Comment

noname? vent brand?
                                      Attached Files

Comment

don't bother trying a search, they made it impossible.
                                        Jim

Comment

the name was omitted to protect the guilty.

Comment

Working...
                                          X