This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

After reading some of this "New Member" thread, I sure feel old! I started working with mainframe computers and punch cards, before personal computers came out. Then, when the old DEC PDP-11 Unix minicomputer machines came out, I worked with those...great machines! Later, I worked on development of 8-bit Zilog Z80 systems and applications for CP/M OS using Z80 assembler, while dabbling a bit with 6502 assembler. I helped in development of bank select memory and writing drivers to interface Z80 systems with early hard drives. Most of my experience is as a software guy, as I took courses in many of the "old" computer languages...Z80/6502 assembler, Fortran, Cobol, Algol, Smalltalk, Prolog, PL/1, Pascal, Lisp, Basic, C, etc. Unfortunately, many of these languages are no longer useful. I joined badcaps.net forums to learn more about hardware/electronic repair issues, since I don't know much about these areas, and this website seems to be a great community of knowledgeable and friendly people.

Comment

New member here

Comment

Re: New Members

Hey All,

I started my journey into electronics back in the days of C64, My computer geek friend received it for a B-day gift and within a week it stopped working. I was at the time in the automotive field but was willing to investigate why. Once inside I remember being so intrigued by all the pieces parts. But following common sense ideas about electricity I did find a problem with a power supply cap that was noticeably bulged, changed it out and all was great again.
        I always enjoyed electronic things but mechanics was the passion, it wasn't until the late 80's when continuing back and shoulder issues curbed my automotive career that I returned to school to pursue my electronic dreams. In 94 received a degree in Electronics Engineering Technology and thought I would be in the mix but it took 5 years to land an oilfield job as Senior Technologist at a horizontal drilling company. My timing could have not been any better, within 6 months I was promoted to a new department in charge of revolutionary rotary steerable drilling tool. All that I had learned about electronics, hydraulics, mechanical and instrumentation was put to the test, every day.
        I left the 24/7/365 oilfield for a more reasonable 9-5 at a local repair shop, where overtime is repairing the owners stuff for fun.

Well that's about it, I look forward to participating and informing those that need it.

Comment

Hi. I have a samsung 58" plasma tv that likes to turn itself off. This problem seems to be different than the turn on/turn off problem in most posts. Hopefully, we can find out what is wrong. Thanks in advance for all the help.

Comment

Hello. I'm Tommy. New member. I'm just another Panasonic Plasma victim in need of some kindly direction.

Comment

Hi. I joined to get information on a sanyo dp46840 with one half dark screen when turned on.

Comment

Hi New member here.I'm looking forward to learning alot about tv repair from you guys and sharing what i learn with other new members.
                I just got into buying and repairing broken lcd tv's and have learned a few things from this site so i figured i would join. See u in the Forums

Comment

Hello everyone. New member here. I look forward to making use of the vast knowledge assembled here.

Comment

Hello

Comment

hello, my name is mark and i have been working on tvs and other electronics since 1972. i am located in the city of downey, about 15 miles from los angeles

Comment

Hello, all. 2wheeler851 here. Probably figured out I like riding motorcycles but my interest in this forum is due to my tendency to never throw anything away. My siblings and children know this so give me stuff that they cannot get to function. Have two TVs as of late and discovered this forum through Badcaps.net. Will be reading and attempting to revive these half dead items. Have been doing some snooping through the posts and most of the info is indeed very interesting and it is apparent that there are some knowledgeable people on here. I hope I can glean some info. Glad to have a place to go to seek information. Thanks!

Comment

Hi,
                          i am mau from italy
                          found this forum searching for a samsung r540 issue, not found solution here, but found it with my experience
                          i would like to post how to solve
                          regards
                          M.

Comment

Hello all,

I've just found this forum this evening, so I'm saying hi to all of you and hope that someone will be able to help me with my pc's problem which has just let me down after many years of reliable use!

I dont know how far I should go with the details as this is my first post, so I will just outline what has happened so far - very briefly - and wait for one of you guys to guide me on further technical posting, if this is OK? Would it be better for me to start a new thread I wonder, or perhaps you may be aware of similar threads you may wish to point me towards?
                            OK; so last week I booted up my pc and it shut down withing 20 seconds. no display on the vga, nothing. I opened up the kit and watched the led display as the machine attempted to boot - again it shut down within 20 seconds. The MoBo is an Abit AA8 Duramax version 1. The post codes that I can see go from 00; 8.3; 9.6; 9.E(very briefly) and the boot halts at 9.F I have read the Abit manuals and post code guide and apparently, this shutdown is a "forced shutdown of the Guru application caused by either an OC or PSU fault. I've used another PSU and the shutdown sequence is identical. I dont think it is an OC condition as I havent overclocked the machine. I've done all the usual things like powering down the board and clearing the BIOS, but nothing I try changes the boot sequence. One thing I have notived is component EC17 which is a KZG 6.3v 2200uf 105c capacitor which has split on the top and has discharged a slight brownish powder and I'm wondering if this could effectively be contributing to some sort of power failure?

You'll all have to forgive me as this is my first solo venture into actually looking at component failure on a motherboard, so I'm quite new to this - but I'm willing to throw myself in the deep end to see if I can rectify the fault and retrieve the data from the RAID array.
                            Any guidance would be warmly welcomed!

Comment

well, i see that i cant post anyway

for this case, samsung r540, will boot on and off in a while.
                              after changed the supercondenser nec, nothing changed, and finally i have found that an overheating dued to a surcharge of the right corner usb caused melting of wires. This cause the automatic shutdown, as when the power switch is always pressed. You can check if this is your case just trying to plug in power with and without the power cable plugged in:: power cable in= mobo power on and then off after 5 sec. Power cable out = nothing happen, just the line led on,as before.

Please admin reply this solution on your forum, i see that i still cant, but i would like to share

sorry my bad english
                              regards
                              M.

Comment

Hi, New member here.

Trying to debug a dead HP LP2465 LCD monitor. The monitor is dead with no amber light on the front panel, when plugged in. The power supply board has one bad cap. Interestingly its the large 180uf 450V electrolytic cap which is supposed to rarely fail. One of the legs had some crystalline crusty deposits and with very little effort the leg came off completely disconnected from the cap. Not sure if theres other damage and if this alone can explain the symptoms.

Comment

New member here, trying to learn about one of the electronics i use everyday but know nothing about.

Comment

Hi, I'm Rory. Professional, in the industry over 30 years.

Comment

New member here. I have been into electronics since age 11, some time ago now.
                                      Computers, started with a Coco and still have my original 8088.

My first screw driver was a butter knife, graduated to a pair of old needle nose pliers with cutters, AKA finger pinchers , wow! So long and so many tools ago.

I work on anything that gets in my way.

There you have it in a very small nutshell.

Thor

Comment

Hello everyone.

I am a New member here and I look forward to making use of the vast knowledge assembled here by you folks.

Comment

new member, hello all.

Comment

Working...
                                          X