Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nintendo Switch draws 470mA one side on 5v only and boots ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nintendo Switch draws 470mA one side on 5v only and boots ...

Hello
    I have done some Nintendo Switch Consoles, but this one is getting to me.

I am a few years from 'retirement' and things are getting hectic - just to get on with daily repairs I do to get to the 'retiring' time!

I am no expert on consoles but here it is and I am not much on forums, although I would love to - I have not time, with family commitments too - everybody always asking for something!
    It came with its charging port 'snapped' from its welded anchor plate.
    I believe customer had previous problems and wiggled connector for a long time before it stopped charging - I wish he came earlier!
    The connector itself was holding onto 8 side B [top] pads only, and both anchors on the front disappeared, then found one inside!

What I have done is:

1. First attempted fixing pads - all 15-16 of them!
    It was working, but I noticed one in particular was naughty and I re-done it. Same problem.

2. This time I approached the preferred method of wiring it, but not having enough knowledge and I not having a working one at the time, I browsed internet to find connecting points.
    Anyway, found info [hopefully correct] and wired it.
    Then replaced M92 + PI13 + BQ chips and now it does charge at 0.470A only on 5v - nothing drawn from 15v both sides. (a classic I believe but ...)

[B]3.[.B] I have taken diode arrays off and replaced M92 again + PI3 too
    No change
    4. I charged original battery and my new battery living it for quit a few hours.
    5. I also taken 'all' Voltages and diode mode measurements twice [from internet pages I found] and checked for short 'everywhere' 7 times or more in the long run !!!
    I wish I had a working oe to compare it with. Initially I had the cap under PI3 shorted and replaced it only because one side looked bad, but measuring cap it was not short and also replaced PI3 - this is another weird one, as after taken the cap off and re-measured there was NO short - I am thinking maybe one anchor bit reached it.

I did measure M92 switching ports - so it does detect them and I also used Freeze spray on both sides and changing connection to port to see what was happening.
    Nothing particular and I could only see the 2x Mosfets in parallel under M92 (not the top one) getting 'slightly' warmer when switched - denoting they are switching too - also measured voltage - as far as I understand it.
    Bear in mind it does boot normally - always, with on-off or by connecting the 'detected' side of the cable
    I had it for a while now and no idea what to do next - I am stuck and customer waiting, although I believe he must have another one. I am my brain full of Nintendo confusion now.

My soldering of chips are fine and I believe chips are OK - believe me and I do not understand why it does not charge on other side.

One thing I do not know, can this type of behaviour 'also' have anything to do with the CPU - just asking.

Anybody ever had 'this' particular behaviour and can really help?
    I am getting tired of it now.

Thanks in advance
    M

PS sorry if I do not participate much ...
Working...
X