Denon AVR-X1000 MCU Shorted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Denon AVR-X1000 MCU Shorted

I wonder why the speaker relays click on but there is still nothing from the speakers or headphones before the protection turns everything off ? Could the HDMI board be causing this issue somehow ?

Not very technical but I'm tempted to disable the protection circuitry in the hopes that something smokes.

Comment

The B+ and B- for the amp are not that critical voltage wise, they can be slightly different and that will not effect the dc offset, The Dc protection is activated because it sees a high DC voltage (likely over 1~2 volts) on the output of one of the amp sections. You need to monitor the voltage on pin2 of CN5x0 on each channel one at a time from when the amp is turned on. One of them must be going higher than (+-) 1 volt and activating the DC protection circuit
      Last edited by R_J; 02-24-2021, 06:31 PM.

Comment

My meter doesn't have a Max function and the values are changing too rapidly to nail it down. Can I hook up my scope to chassis ground and probe pin2 without blowing it up ?

Comment

Yes you can use your scope, But the dc offset voltage should not be changing that much, unless you have an auto ranging meter and it starts a low mv range. If this is the case, lock the meter to a higher voltage range.

Comment

See post #14 for those readings.

Comment

Originally posted by mmartell View Post
              L5101-5501 all hover around 0.8v but go as low as 0.5 and as high as 1.1v on all channels.

The measurements were the same at the emitter resistors so I turned all pots down to minimum but the readings didn't change.

Also when the relays cut out and the unit goes to protection the readings at the emitter resistors jumps to positive rail voltage and begins to dissipate quickly but maybe that's normal ?
              If the voltages are changing " too rapidly" How did you adjust the pots to minimum voltage?

I see the board has a lot of jumper wires for the B+ and B- , It could be that one of them (B-) has an intermittent connection.
              Last edited by R_J; 02-24-2021, 07:04 PM.

Comment

The pots are all set to minimum, or all the way counter-clockwise. However turning the pots in either direction has no effect on the readings at CN5x05.

I redid those readings with another meter and they are pretty well spot on with the addendum that SL and SR peak higher at about 1.1v where the rest peak below that, around 0.6-0.8v, but all still fluctuating up to about 200mV each.

Comment

If the amp is in protection you can't set the offset pots.
                  Last edited by R_J; 02-24-2021, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Yes my mistake, was thinking of how you set to fully counter-clockwise before making idle-current adjustment (at least for receivers I've done that for)

The thing is the amp isn't in Protection until the detected by the MCU, which is up to one minute at times. Still no output to the speakers, at least not from the tuner. Shouldn't there be something ?

Comment

Originally posted by mmartell View Post
                      Ya colour me confused. It seems to be affecting all channels. What was the problem in the Crown amp ?
                      It had one channel with high distortion which had some outputs transistors in trouble but also a high DC level seen at the input stage / preamp area. Eventually I found a transistor associated with the positive side not functional.
                      Once replaced, everything became normal. As I said, I only have limited experience but was interested in your effort and hoped to help and learn as I have two denons(3805 4310) one of which has a level issue where loudness / volume seems to slowly drop thru the day. So its kind of "follow along" road for me with hope / learning. Sorry, if I have not helped... I will just monitor and wish you luck.

Comment

Have you checked the voltage on BN502 pin5 to see if the DC_PROT line is actually changing? Maybe it is not the amp that is at fault but the protection circuit it self, or the micro giving a false protect error.
                        It must be because you have a avre300 board in the avrx1000. I see there are version option resistors that are different between the models for IC761
                        Last edited by R_J; 02-24-2021, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                          Have you checked the voltage on BN502 pin5 to see if the DC_PROT line is actually changing? Maybe it is not the amp that is at fault but the protection circuit it self, or the micro giving a false protect error.
                          It must be because you have a avre300 board in the avrx1000. I see there are version option resistors that are different between the models for IC761
                          I don't have the AVR-E300 board in, only tried it once to see if that amp board would stay on without giving a fault. It did not.

The DC PROT line is in fact changing. Starts out at about 3.2v and bounces around a bit then starts going into free fall and the protection kicks in as it passes through 0.7v (enough to turn on a transistor ?)

What's weird though is if I measure R5x31 which drives the protect circuit I do not see the voltage change. DC_FRONT measures about 0.33v and DC_SURROUND measures about 0.56v. When the protect circuit kicks in those voltages change to 0.7v

Here is the other section of the protect circuit.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I would check the transistor that I mentioned at the start to ensure that it is good as it is "setting up" the preamp just ensure that it is indeed functional.

Comment

I was thinking there are three possible scenarios here, four if we count yours.

1) There is a leaking transistor in the DC PROTECTION circuit pulling the 3.3v to ground

2) The SWM_3.3v line (used to power the protection circuits) is faulty and being pulled down for another reason.

3) MCU problem

My head still tells me that any difference in B+ and B- will show up as DC offset at the speaker terminals but RJ rules that out.

Next step is I guess to pull the amp section out.

Comment

You might try my suggestion about the jumper in the protection circuit which then allows you to isolate the front from the surround in terms of protection. Then check the voltages at those two "halves" to see if you notice a difference in the detection operation. Might help.

The other thing that you can look at is doing resistance measurements along the protection line and comparing the result at each channels to see if anything is obviously different. You aren't necessarily looking for shorts to ground / opens although those would likely be of interest but just a plain obvious difference. You are dealing with DC issues so a metered resistance check / snoop will likely be of use.
                                Last edited by budwich; 02-25-2021, 11:45 AM.

Comment

It is starting to look like it is in the protection circuit, those are smd transistors, so maybe a poor connection, maybe try some cooling or heat in that section of the board

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                                    You might try my suggestion about the jumper in the protection circuit which then allows you to isolate the front from the surround in terms of protection. Then check the voltages at those two "halves" to see if you notice a difference in the detection operation. Might help.
                                    A good idea but if you're talking about J5675 it's marked as "Open". I'd either have to remove components or cut a trace or two.

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                                    The other thing that you can look at is doing resistance measurements along the protection line and comparing the result at each channels to see if anything is obviously different. You aren't necessarily looking for shorts to ground / opens although those would likely be of interest but just a plain obvious difference. You are dealing with DC issues so a metered resistance check / snoop will likely be of use.
                                    Will definitely do some of that before tearing the amp apart again.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                                      It is starting to look like it is in the protection circuit, those are smd transistors, so maybe a poor connection, maybe try some cooling or heat in that section of the board
                                      Going to try to get some heat there but there in a hard spot and on the bottom of the board. Looking like I'll be pulling the board soon.

Comment

OK... but I am not sure what "open" means with denon and this schematic. I was actually reading that as troubleshooting points to look for or use as opposed to NC (no connection). :-) If the jumper is not there, then based on the schematic, the front and surrounds dc detect / protect lines are not linked and therefore either one can be checked / watched independent of the other. You can then do some resistance measurements from those points in the protection circuit back toward the amp / preamp at "select" areas and compare the results... one would expect similar results for the front and similar ones for the surrounds... the front and surrounds may not look similar as the sections might have a slightly different setup.

Further, since the two protect lines are seperated, you previously mentioned some of the voltage readings that you were monitoring and jumping around or otherwise... which line were you monitoring? Did you watch / check both?

Comment

Yes the DC_FRONT measures about 0.4v and the DC_SURROUND measures just under 0.6v. Neither is enough to turn on the protection if I'm reading the schematic correctly.

But in the way of an update,,, I removed the DC_PROT pin from the BN502 socket and the unit does indeed stay on. That tells me the protect circuit is working as intended.

I still get NO AUDIO from the headphone jack. Well, if I just about stop my heart from beating I can hear FAINT sound. In the end it likely is an amp problem after all lol.

Can you make out how the protect circuit works ? I though it would take at least 0.7v to turn on one of the transistors and pull the protect line to ground signalling a problem to the MCU but I must have something wrong.

BTW the protect line I pulled from the socket reads zero volts which is I think what it should read if there are no problems.
                                          Last edited by mmartell; 02-25-2021, 04:24 PM. Reason: added more info

Comment

Working...
                                          X