Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSI PE62 not working webcam and usb ports.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI PE62 not working webcam and usb ports.

Hi, this laptop have all usb ports and webcam not working at all.

It doesn't detect usb mouse or usb keyboard. (doesn't detect pendrives also)

The usb 3.1 chip (ASM1142) U12, is not mounted. (seems a change from factory)

Could be a pch (HM175) related issue?

Thanks for your help.

Re: MSI PE62 not working webcam and usb ports.

The usb 3.1 chip (ASM1142) U12, is not mounted.
    Seems U12 is mounted in version 1.1 (page 33: PCB 1.1 modify)

It is a bit weird that in version 1.0 the USB3.1 TYPE C (CON3) is controlled By PCH (U15)

All readings in usb ports are good, there are no shorts and 5 volts are present.

I have tested some PCH signals and found that USB2_COMP has some weird pulses.

OTG_ID_JNC circuit in pch (pin AG2) has no voltage and R185 seems good (1K)

R446 (USB_OC) has 3 volts in both pins.

Please help.
    Attached Files

Comment

All usb port+webcam not working-Very likely PCH fault. What is the resistance on D+ & D- on usb ports??

Comment

What is the resistance on D+ & D- on usb ports??
        Hi mcplslg123, the resistance in those pins are 2 mega ohms, and diode mode readings are 0.540 in both.

I think it is a PCH issue, but seems so weird to me, (only usb bad) that I want to discard all other possibilities.

Thanks.

Comment

Its not wierd and has faced many times specially on acer's. Replacing the SOC/PCH solves it.

PS: Your camera is also likely to get faulty and may need replacement as well going by experience with acer's.
          Last edited by mcplslg123; 03-02-2021, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Hi, bad news for this motherboard.

After replace the pch***, all usb ports continue with the same problem.

It is a real weird thing.

I have reprogrammed pch-bios and ec- bios one more time, just in case.

The motherboard is a MS-16J91, and The schematic and boardview is posted in this thread:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=84710

I am completely lost with this issue. Please help¡¡¡

*** pch is a HM170-HF.
            Last edited by Francisco.s; 04-26-2021, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Review the attached diagram.

Which resistors are stuffed on your logic board?
              Attached Files

Comment

Which resistors are stuffed on your logic board?
                Hi, all resistors going to U12 are missing. This board not mount ASM1142, this port is controlled by the pch.

I have tested USB_OC signal just in case pch sees an over-current but it has 3,4 volts and nothing changes if this signal is grounded manually.

I'm trying to find a resistor strap that disables all usb but can't see any.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Hmm. As a suggestion, consider to remove temporarily the 0 ohm resistors linked to USB 3.1 port 1 and then test to see if port 2 is functional or not.

Then repeat this exercise for USB 3.1 port 2. Only to see if USB components are to blame for this non-working condition or not.

Perhaps one of the ESD protection device is causing these issues.

Comment

consider to remove temporarily the 0 ohm resistors linked to USB 3.1
                    Hi, can not find this 0 ohm resistor.

Can you point me how it is called on the schematic?

Thanks.

Comment

See if the attached helps.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Check voltage USB_ENABLE and CAMERA_ON.
                        All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

consider to remove temporarily the 0 ohm resistors linked to USB 3.1
                          I misunderstand you, I thought you were referring to a a 0 ohm resistor in the USB5V_PTx pin of ESD protection devices.

I have removed esd protection devices in order to not interfering the circuit.
                          Check voltage USB_ENABLE and CAMERA_ON
                          USB_ENABLE is present in all usb SWITCHS.
                          CAMERA_ON is also present, and it can be switch on and off with Fn+ F6.

Do you know if there is a voltage regulator for pch I/O circuit, specifically involved in usb?

Comment

What is the full laptop model number is it the PE62 7RD .Can you check R186. Edit: is the card reader,wlan and keyboard backlight working ok
                            Last edited by SMDFlea; 04-28-2021, 09:58 AM.
                            All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Is there any short circuit in any of the usb ports. maybe camera. Perhaps the IO chip itself or its software has flown.
                              Last edited by Sametbey; 04-28-2021, 11:44 AM.
                              I'm not happy to be so strong. because it's not humanly

Comment

What is the full laptop model number is it the PE62 7RD .Can you check R186. Edit: is the card reader,wlan and keyboard backlight working ok
                                The model is Gl62W TRD and R186 is 113 ohms, but I can't tell you if there is a goo connection with pin AG3 of pch. (something to check for tomorrow)

The keyboard and wlan are both working. The card reader is mounted on the same pcb as power button, and it is disconnected in order to not interfering. (there is a power pad near the kbc to power it on)

Is there any short circuit in any of the usb ports. maybe camera. Perhaps the IO chip itself or its software has flown.
                                There are no short circuit in any of its usb, also i have tested without the screen connector to avoid the camera being causing any problem.

IO chip can be programmed by svod programmer or by an app in windows, it have the last update.

Comment

did you mean the GL62M 7RD

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
                                    did you mean the GL62M 7RD
                                    Yes, you are right, it is a GL62M 7RD.

Comment

R186 is 113 ohms, but I can't tell you if there is a goo connection with pin AG3 of pch
                                      I have removed R186 and the reading in diodo mode is .475, so no problem with this connection.

I have checked USBSMI# signal has no voltage at all, as consequence of R175 not being mounted in this motherboard.

The ohms readings in all of usb lines are about 2.1 Mega-ohms, but data sheet says that pch integrates 15 kΩ pull-downs resistors.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

If I recall correctly, the internal 15k resistor is not a resistor but a circuit that is enabled on demand. For this reason, you will not read 15k on that line. Also, believe that the USB spec notes that it is a 15k value to +Vbus.

Comment

Working...
                                        X