NETGEAR extender power supply problems recap working good now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NETGEAR extender power supply problems recap working good now

This extender unit was having drop out issues and not very reliable and I stopped using it and it sat around for a couple years not being used

Then I had to replace my router because of a lot of dropouts and becoming anointing my wife has to work from home because of the Coronavirus and she had just about enough of this

So we got another router but the range of this router is not quite as good my door bell camera would not work correctly anymore so I found the extender again and replaced two 1000uf@16 volt capacitors ( ESR values of 02 and 04 ) with a very low profile so I had to use one 2200uf@16 volt capacitor and lay it on it side it also has one ( 10uf@50 volt capacitor that had a ESR —> 1.5 ohm resistance value new one has a value of 0.39 ohms )

One note the outside case gets a little warm to the touch so I guess that why the capacitors gets slowly cooked to death

This unit has two boards one is basically the switching power supply board
    The other board is WiFi board and has a connector between the two boards so there is not much space between the two boards

Unfortunately I did not take any pictures of this repair because I did not think that this repair would really work

( my wife has bought a new extender and said that if I could not get the one that I have now to work correctly to return the one we just bought but this might be a “?” able idea with Coronavirus issues )

Because I have tried to repair routers before and my success rate is about 50% so I am sorry about this

NETGEAR routers use too be easy to setup but I do not understand why they thought the setup has to be so difficult to do

Netgear routers were easy to link extender together but not anymore

I had to reset both units to factory settings at least 6 to 8 times before it would correctly work together

Now my door bell camera work great again

In fact I am using the extender right now writing this post
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-02-2020, 06:43 AM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Re: NETGEAR extender power supply problems recap working good now

i like TP-Link stuff,
    and most of it you can re-flash with open-source firmware.

Comment

For the Heating ,I have added a fan to my Netgear C7100v, as a measure of caution and love and it keeps it cool all the time,
      Attached Files
      Last edited by ivtec; 05-03-2020, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ivtec View Post
        For the Heating ,I have added a fan to my Netgear C7100v, as a measure of caution and love and it keeps it cool all the time,
        I like your idea and might be doing this myself on my new router as well but I going to wait 90 days before I do this modification just in case I have issues with this router while it under warranty

But I going to do this with a temperature sensor/fan speed controller unit because I do not want the fan running at full speed for no reason I do not want to hear it running unless it has to

Can I ask why you you did not put a filter fan guard on it ( if you are interested in getting one let me know what size the fan is and I will post a website link to where you can get some )

By the way how are you powering this fan
        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-03-2020, 09:37 PM.
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

filters on anything less than 80mm will really fuck with the flow and make the fan motor get hot

Comment

This depends on filter medium and how thick it but yes I would agree with you in general this is true

I have used them in the past and not had any issues doing this
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
              I like your idea and might be doing this myself on my new router as well but I going to wait 90 days before I do this modification just in case I have issues with this router while it under warranty

But I going to do this with a temperature sensor/fan speed controller unit because I do not want the fan running at full speed for no reason I do not want to hear it running unless it has to

Can I ask why you you did not put a filter fan guard on it ( if you are interested in getting one let me know what size the fan is and I will post a website link to where you can get some )

By the way how are you powering this fan
              I use a 12v computer fan ,i connect it to the 5 v usb port on the router,it's very silent.
              My router is almost payed up,since i had to pay 10 bucks a month to Comcast ,and performance compared to Comcast router is abysmal for better,no comparison.
              Last edited by ivtec; 05-04-2020, 10:00 AM.

Comment

This extender is doing good every once in while it still drops out but no where as bad as use to do it
                9 PC LCD Monitor
                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                1 Dell Mother Board
                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

I just recap my router every 2-3 years. I had one going for almost 8 years, until internet speeds outpaced it's ability to keep up. Still have the router too, runs openwrt, might see if I can get a mesh with ethernet backplane going. Isn't any good for a main router anymore, but would be fine as a node. I write the date of last recap on the underside of the router, along with the caps required. I hate opening up a router and not having the caps on hand.

Comment

Update

I have been having WiFi signal strength levels not being consistent and had to run cat5 drop cable to the front of my house for the door camera because sometimes would be offline

Now it works a lot better however to setup the extender in this configuration is just short of a nightmare because the automated setup system keeps doing the setup incorrectly each time it would a different issue finely I got to setup correctly and keep the settings

Why does setting up got to such a nightmare to get to work correctly is beyond me that it needs to be this difficult to do

I find that NETGEAR seem to have real issues with there application that is supposedly suppose to be easy to do is a real joke because to get the router to play with the extender makes this installation a real nightmare

Is there a company that makes this installation easier to do because when I have to replace this setup again I would like to get something that is a little bit easier to setup
                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                    1 Dell Mother Board
                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Update on this setup issue I even tried a newer version of there extender and the setup results were even more of a nightmare to the point that I could not use it for the type of setup I need

It’s biggest issue is that you would get it work correctly with nice download speeds come back hour later and the download speed would be at a crawl on both the router and the extender this is real crap now if you only hooked up the extender to the modem it work correctly but as soon as you hook up the router it would go to a crawl for download speed

And if you try to hook both of them together to work correctly forget it its not going to happen

I even had the modem to router and modem to extender and this was a real nightmare because one or the other would have download speed that were so slow that was a joke

On these devices the setup is automated and there is no such thing as a manual setup not really

I did not show the hole data plate because of security concerns reasons just in case I find a solution to this setup issue and decide to use this new extender
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-10-2021, 08:28 AM.
                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                      1 Dell Mother Board
                      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

i think televizora talked about this before. consumer grade brands and stuff like netgear, linksys etc. are complete crap when it comes to this type of application. either the equipment is crap or a hacker/neighbor is jamming up your wifi connection to mess with you and hack/disable your cameras.

i vaguely recall televizora said to get a mikrotik wireless router as its much better, tho that wont help if its truly indeed a hacker or your neighbor focking with your wifi.

Comment

It not that someone hacking the router or the extender it that they did want to play together

Which I have had this issue before with this brand and certain devices that do not want to work correctly together
                          9 PC LCD Monitor
                          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                          1 Dell Mother Board
                          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Ok here is an update

This all started because my wife has to work from home two to three times a week and she was having issues with printer access and the door bell camera not work correctly all the time and she works in the front of the house so she see the drive way and keep an eye on the dog as well and keep an eye on me as well also

I thought some of these issues were internet service connection issues with internet service provider and some of the issues were service issues but not all of them

I could not get either extender version to work correctly at all——>

I also could not get the printers to work correctly with new version of the extender either because if I could have done this I would have just use the extender because it has a better signal strength range than the router but this was also a no go as well so I am just striking out no matter what way I was trying to go

I called NETGEAR tech support and what I was told that I could not setup my internet connection the way I want to because it would not/could not work correctly with the setup I want to do because of interference from the modem to router and the extender

The extender is not setup to work the way you would expect it to work because my thought was you extend the range of the signal strength range to the hole house but this is not the case

So what I have had to do is relocate the router to front of the house and have the modem in the office in the back of the house which works ok but down load speed is half the speed being 100 feet from the modem
                            but I can use the printer with this setup correctly and seems to work ok so far but time will tell if I have issues with printer problems connecting correctly

( the router signal strength range is decent for this router it just that the range is little bit shorter than what I expect from the router because the modem has as good as range as the new extender does which would have been wonderful if I could get everything to play correctly together )

When the modem and router are right next to each other ( with a very short cable connection) the down load speed is the same as the modem but I guess this is the price of having them that far apart

I can live with this trade off unless someone has a solution for this issue but at least I have my front door bell camera working correctly on the modem

This front door camera is the most pick-e device I have used in a very long time
                            For what ever reason it would not detect the router in the front of the house but would detect the modem

But the funny thing is when the modem and the router are next to each other it would not stay connected all the time and drop out for periods of time and it did not matter which device you used

So what I do when suffering the internet connection using the modem and when I need to print something from the printer I switch to the router and use the printer which is fine I can live with this setup as long as I can access internet and print what I need to print which is what I was after in the first place anyway

Here is why the door bell camera not work and I am in the back of the house I would have to go to the front door but having the door bell camera I can use my tablet and see the camera with it and decide if I need to answer the door or just pretend that I am not home
                            Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-11-2021, 09:28 PM.
                            9 PC LCD Monitor
                            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                            1 Dell Mother Board
                            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Update again

Door bell camera not wanting to connect again but did earlier so I guess I still have issues with it
                              It connects when it wants to because I tried it again it connects this time so who knows what this issue now is

I am able to so far access the printers when I want to
                              Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-11-2021, 10:21 PM.
                              9 PC LCD Monitor
                              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                              1 Dell Mother Board
                              15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

One note on the NETGEAR extender that I was taking about in post # 1 has been retired because of the device not wanting to stay connected to the internet all the time and very reluctant to be configured correctly anymore so unless I find a good use for it I will probably part it out

The recapping did give me some extra run time for a little while but unfortunately it did not really resolve the issue with it working correctly all the time but did improve the stability for a while but not for the long run

As far as the new extender and using it correctly and setting it up correctly for continuously service probably is not going to happen with my situation unless someone out know of solution for this issue
                                Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-12-2021, 06:35 AM.
                                9 PC LCD Monitor
                                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                1 Dell Mother Board
                                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

those camera's will have a limited life unless the wifi chipset is heatsinked,
                                  it's not a good tech for 24/7 streaming - i have killed over a dozen wifi cards & dongles over the years on a torrent-box.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                    those camera's will have a limited life unless the wifi chipset is heatsinked,
                                    it's not a good tech for 24/7 streaming - i have killed over a dozen wifi cards & dongles over the years on a torrent-box.
                                    The only time that I know about is the motion sensor sensing something by the front door or if you push the door bell button then it is activated the device to stream the video and sound for certain amount of time unless you activate it on your phone or tablet because when you activate the request from your phone or tablet there is delay for it the connection to be made live in real time

But the question is there a workable solution for this issue that is the question

Because this camera is a very small package and I sure that will be no extra room for any type of heat sink of any type or kind so it is what it is

Just hopefully the alarm company is offering a special promotion for a door bell camera that how I got this one in the first place

I might have to wait awhile for a promotion offer but this not real big deal if I can save some money being paid up front
                                    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-12-2021, 10:41 AM.
                                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                    1 Dell Mother Board
                                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

i'm pretty sure they stream to the company server continuously,
                                      they have footage from these camera's showing stuff like meteorites coming down.

Comment

Working...
                                      X