Ancient capacitor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ancient capacitor?

Can anyone identify, or give me any info about this? It's from a 1930s/40s era adding machine.
    Attached Files

Re: Ancient capacitor?

It's just an old wound aluminum foil paper+wax capacitor.
    Details would be printed on the other side of it. I would unscrew the mount and look for the part's value and voltage rating. It's surely a dud given the age.
    I would guess it's used to prevent some switch contacts from arcing. Or a small motor cap?

Comment

wow, tar-dipped cotton sleeving!

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
        It's just an old wound aluminum foil paper+wax capacitor.
        Details would be printed on the other side of it. I would unscrew the mount and look for the part's value and voltage rating. It's surely a dud given the age.
        I would guess it's used to prevent some switch contacts from arcing. Or a small motor cap?
        Thanks, I'll check the other side. There is a small motor, and under that, what looks like another motor underneath, perpendicular to it. Or maybe it's some kind of gear box…

Where the power cable comes in there's a switch with what looks kinda like (from my vague memory) ignition points from a distributor. Pressing those together will power the 1st motor. Underneath, there's another smaller set of “points” that will power the other motor, if the 1st set is closed. I found if I rotate a lever on the side, it closes the 1st set, and if I plug it in, the assembly on the side of the machine will rotate once, which opens the points back up and shuts it back off.

I have no clue what all might be wrong with it, but am curious what, if anything would change if I replace that cap, though I don't expect it to fix it.

I'd be happy to upload more pics if anyone would like to see them. It's a fascinating machine, and to me a bit mind boggling how complex it is with all the levers.

My favorite part is that inside the bottom cover a technician named C. Emmerich scratched in the details of a repair he did on it on 6/27/52. 3 hours of labor + parts, totaling $12.15. Replaced bushings, springs cleaned and oiled.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
          Details would be printed on the other side of it.
          Unfortunately, those markings in the picture are the only thing on the capacitor.

Comment

Working...
          X