• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: socket 775 forever... no, no, no...

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
    I have this one at home

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...ES2L-rev-11#ov

Most boards you find that has any Nvidia chipset is probably dead
    That one is an Intel chipset. I see a lot of those for recapping still. They were very commonly used as controllers in commercial printers.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
      Most boards you find that has any Nvidia chipset is probably dead
      The old nForce 610i (MCP73) equipped MSI P6NGM (MS-7366) board in my media center PC is still alive and kicking, but that is likely the exception to the rule.

Attached Files
      Last edited by dmill89; 11-04-2022, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post
        The old nForce 610i (MCP73) equipped MSI P6NGM (MS-7366) board in my media center PC is still alive and kicking, but that is likely the exception to the rule.
        well, first off, it has quite a tall and beefy heatsink for the mcp with lots of fins on the heatsink, plus its quite tall and close enough to catch some breeze from the intel stock cooler so that it can receive some cooling from the cpu fan as well. so both factors may have helped in its longevity.

Comment

Speaking of 775 and old... just got hold of a ASUS P5PE-VM... i865G. It supposedly supports as far as E2xxx Pentiums, but I haven't been able to test that yet - the only CPU I've run on it is a P4 631. Neat lil' board, and if by magic people did run better CPUs (even as far as early C2Ds), I'd be more than happy to do a "retro" build with it. Gotta put my HP OEM'd Audigy 2 ZS to work somewhere.
          Main rig:
          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
          Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
          16GB DDR3-1600
          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
          FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
          120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
            well, first off, it has quite a tall and beefy heatsink for the mcp with lots of fins on the heatsink, plus its quite tall and close enough to catch some breeze from the intel stock cooler so that it can receive some cooling from the cpu fan as well. so both factors may have helped in its longevity.
            Yes, I imagine good cooling (both MSI putting a decent heatsink on it and being in a case with plenty of airflow) as well as always being used with a dedicated GPU is probably what has kept it alive this long.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post
              ^this, though at this point unless you already have the hardware or get it very cheap/free, allot of the earlier core i5/i7 stuff is selling for around the same price points on the used market these days, especially the 4th gen and older i5/i7, though with Microsoft announcing that Windows 11 would only officially support 8th gen and newer intel "core I" series (with a few select higher-end 7th gen chips thrown in) even the still very capable 6th/non-supported 7th gen chips have taken a hit in value.

Though admittedly even the best Q9xxx quads can only come close to matching modern low-end laptop CPUs, so while they're still capable of "basic computing" (office apps, web-browsing, etc.) and even "heavier" tasks if you aren't in too much of a hurry, most modern-ish hardware will run circles around them:

Elaborating on this I dug out some old hardware to do some comparisons:

Specs:
              CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q9450
              RAM: 8GB DDR3-1333
              Boot Drive: Western Digital Velociraptor 160GB 10k RPM SATA HDD
              GPU: AMD Radeon R9 380
              Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45C-UD3R
              Chipset: Intel P45

Specs:
              CPU: Intel I7-2600
              RAM: 8GB DDR3-1600
              Boot Drive: Team Group AX2 256GB SATA SSD
              GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT710
              Motherboard: OE Dell Optiplex 790
              Chipset: Intel Q65

(this takes a pretty big hit on the GPU, but CPU easily beats the socket 775 system)

Specs:
              CPU: Intel I7-4790
              RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600
              Boot Drive: Crucial P3 500GB NVMe SSD (note: the slot on this motherboard runs well below what the SSD is actually capable of)
              GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1060 (3GB)
              Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 3
              Chipset: Intel Z97

Specs:
              CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
              RAM: 32GB DDR4-3200
              Boot Drive: Western Digital Black SN850 2TB NVMe SSD
              GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070
              Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus
              Chipset: AMD X570

Now Lets throw some modern Laptops into the mix:

Entry Level:
              CPU: AMD Athlon Gold 3150U
              RAM: 8GB DDR4-3200
              Boot Drive: Samsung PM991a 256GB NVMe SSD
              GPU: Integrated Radeon

(even the ~$250 MSRP entry-level laptop blows the Socket 775 system out of the water on everything but GPU)

Mid Level:
              CPU: Intel I5-1135G7
              RAM: 8GB DDR4-3200
              Boot Drive: Hynix PC711 512GB NVMe SSD
              GPU: Integrated Intel Iris

Entry Level Gaming:
              CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600H
              RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200
              Boot Drive: Crucial P5 Plus 1TB NVMe SSD
              GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1650

Attached Files
              Last edited by dmill89; 11-06-2022, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                Speaking of 775 and old... just got hold of a ASUS P5PE-VM... i865G. It supposedly supports as far as E2xxx Pentiums, but I haven't been able to test that yet - the only CPU I've run on it is a P4 631. Neat lil' board, and if by magic people did run better CPUs (even as far as early C2Ds), I'd be more than happy to do a "retro" build with it. Gotta put my HP OEM'd Audigy 2 ZS to work somewhere.
                ok... helped u look it up and do your homework for u. it can support up to the e6k series of 1066 fsb c2d chips but u probably need to do a bios update to the latest version first with the p4 first then u can switch over to the c2d u want. however, there is a caveat with using the 1066 fsb cpus. u have to use a discrete video card to run the fsb at 1066 mhz. if u use the onboard igpu, the fsb has to run at 800 mhz and this downclocks the cpu and cripples it somewhat.

so go for it, the audigy 2 zs is also the best sound card that works on win98 so u'll have a blazing fast c2d agp win98 system even tho only one core will work. win98 is a single threaded os and cant recognise the two cores or hyperthreading p4 cpus, only one.
                ----------------------------------------------
                now, a few more comments that i forgot about with regard to the main topic of this thread. those boards that use all japanese polymer caps seem to be longer lasting and more robust indeed as some have mentioned. i like those gigabyte ds3 series boards as they use all jap polymer caps. the asus counterparts and equivalents use taiwanese apaq polymers instead and there are a few threads on here of those caps going short and giving problems.

however, i have two asus rog maximus 2 formula boards and they use chemicon psc caps all over the board for general filtering and fujitsus at the cpu vrm. no sign of any apaq caps there so asus' top-end boards are also desirable for a long lasting high-end 775 board.

im not very sure about the msi 775 boards as i dont have any but going by the review samples of the msi p45/p35 boards, i conclude msi likes using chemicon npcap polymer caps on their boards so they should be pretty much reliable also.

however, im not too fond of the layout msi uses on their boards so i probably wont be getting any unless they're going dirt cheap. the common issues i dont like are the dimm slots being situated too close to the line of the main x16 pci-e slot so u have to remove the video card first to remove the ram. the atx 12v connector is also often placed mid-board so this interferes with the installation of a tower cpu cooler or u have to remove the tower cpu cooler first before removing the atx 12v connector if u want to change psu or clean the psu.
                Attached Files

Comment

I usually don't like anything other than very-late-Core-2-era socket 775 motherboards.
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I got into LGA775 in the Dell BTX era. I'm still running them.
                    the G41 chipset supports DDR3 also and can run 8GB in 2 slots.
                    Optiplex 360 to 380 MB swap is cheaper than the 4GB x64 DDR2 RAM modules.
                    I got an X5470 Xeon running in one with a modded BIOS. 3GB GTX1060 was the sweet spot.
                    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/27732113
                    Dell T3400 is a BTX workstation with X38 chipset. Hidden support for 400fsb, 16GB DDR2 capacity, dual GPU and onboard RAID0. XPS420 is about the same with 1GPU. I've had one to 4.3GHz with a QX9650 and Throttlestop. If you want to try this just buy a whole workstation.Few aftermarket parts fit.

Comment

Working...
                    X