AV/HTPC Build/Purchase.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AV/HTPC Build/Purchase.

Per some issues I've run into with a new AV setup at Chuch, I'm thinking in the long term I need to look into buying/building an AV (HTPC) machine to work around the misbehaving laptop.

The rest of the AV system is currently built around HDMI: there is a switch and splitter to a projector (which feeds stereo RCA to the existing audio mixer) and monitor (which has headphones; the monitor is for previewing with the projector off/blanked). OS wise I'm thinking either Windows 10 or (less optimally) OSX, mainly since I'd like to eliminate the fiddly blu-ray player (which is causing all sorts off issues) and use the HTPC to handle any CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray needing played (and from some quick research Blu-Ray is still not particularly linux-friendly due to all the DRM). Also, I don't want to use anything too exotic so anybody after me who needs to work with it can do so (another reason why I'm avoiding linux here).

The issue I'm having (and why I'm starting this thread) is that it seems USFF and AIO's with Blu-Ray drives are somewhat rare. Apple doesn't seem to have ever put them in iMacs... and while I know of USFF's with optical drives (such as the Acer Veriton I used to use at my former church), I'm seeing very few that were anything more than a DVD burner. I guess technically I could find one of those and swap the slim drive (and hope I can work out the bezels somehow)? Or run an AIO with an external drive? Technically I could opt for a full tower on the floor under the desk, which is another can of worms entirely (not sure where I'd start there)...

Thoughts/Ideas?
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: AV/HTPC Build/Purchase.

Shouldda grabbed one of these little ITX's while you were here...
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      Shouldda grabbed one of these little ITX's while you were here...
      I know!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
        OS wise I'm thinking either Windows 10 or (less optimally) OSX, mainly since I'd like to eliminate the fiddly blu-ray player (which is causing all sorts off issues) and use the HTPC to handle any CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray needing played (and from some quick research Blu-Ray is still not particularly linux-friendly due to all the DRM). Also, I don't want to use anything too exotic so anybody after me who needs to work with it can do so (another reason why I'm avoiding linux here).
        other than clicking on icons, there are far more Linux savy people than osx ones.
        most apple junkies tend to be people who can only use one finger.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
          I know!
          I can send you one if you need. The motherboards in them are Asrock J3455-ITX, see if that would suit your needs. The opticals aren't BDROM, but it takes a standard laptop/mini optical drive.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
            other than clicking on icons, there are far more Linux savy people than osx ones.
            most apple junkies tend to be people who can only use one finger.
            Which is why win10 was the preference. Mac has blu-ray support why it ranked over Linux in this case.

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
            I can send you one if you need. The motherboards in them are Asrock J3455-ITX, see if that would suit your needs. The opticals aren't BDROM, but it takes a standard laptop/mini optical drive.
            My one worry would be having the same intel HDMI audio bull puckey crop up again.
            sigpic

Comment

Found this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284960842148

Asking the seller what GPU it has... if it's not Intel, that may be the way to go. Has a 1080 panel (which for 2012 when this was made (Ivy Bridge), may have been "nice" enough to warrant something more than intel HD). Uses a standard slim optical which would allow for a blu-ray upgrade...
              sigpic

Comment

That was intel. No bueno.

Look what I found:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304683133304

Making sure the CPU is decent... may be a winner. 2018 CPU... Edit- Ugh, the screenshot doesn't match the specs. Anemic CPU... E2-9000E
                Last edited by ratdude747; 12-08-2022, 01:49 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X