Mystery Component

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery Component

I've been sorting through recently acquired boxes of components that I got at the estate sale of an old-school ham radio operator. Even with my elementary level of knowledge I've been able to identify a lot of the parts (the obvious stuff). With the help of others I have most of the not-so-obvious stuff figured out. Then there's this thing. I've heard several guesses but no one seems 100% sure. Does anyone here know what this is in the attached photo?
    Attached Files

Re: Mystery Component

some type of tuning coil for a resonant circuit.
    the screw at the bottom pushes a core into the center of the coil on the outside causing the inductance to change

Comment

These tuning inductors are pluggable, they plug into radios for use on certain bands. This one has thick winding wire so I would guess it's for a transmitter. The capacitor looks European?

Keep an eye out for more of them, they belong to a particular ham radio. Just stuff'em in a bag when going through the estate.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
        These tuning inductors are pluggable, they plug into radios for use on certain bands. This one has thick winding wire so I would guess it's for a transmitter. The capacitor looks European?

Keep an eye out for more of them, they belong to a particular ham radio. Just stuff'em in a bag when going through the estate.
        So far this is the only one I have found but I do have a little more digging to do. I have all of the identified components sorted into tubs... "Caps", "Resistors", "Transistors", etc. All of the unusual (to me at least) stuff if going in a "Misc" tub. I appreciate the info on this inductor!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          some type of tuning coil for a resonant circuit.
          the screw at the bottom pushes a core into the center of the coil on the outside causing the inductance to change
          I would like to make some measurements but from what I just read you can't really do that with a DMM. Sounds like I need to buy an LCR meter?

Comment

yes, and it may depend on the voltage too.

Comment

Working...
            X