Corsair VS650 - I was expecting more damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corsair VS650 - I was expecting more damage

I've bought a broken Corsair PSU for having some fixing time........(10€ investment)(in bellow image the capacitor is already changed)

Once connected to the serial bulb, nothing happens. So initial assumption is that at least the fuse is gone.

Once opened for visual inspection........I see the main capacitor blown and I start imagine the worst with the Mosfets and other components.

Taken the PCB out and start analysing I confirm that the 12A Fuse is gone, but nothing more till the diode rectifier (Corsair has put there a double rectifier).

No Termistors blown, no Mosfets or Shotky blown away......

The PSU is up&running just by changing the capacitor and the Fuse....How is that possible?

Don't get me wrong.........superhappy to have repair it with just spare parts, but I was expecting a lot of damage when I saw the main capacitor blown.......

Regards,
    Francesc.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Francesc V.; 01-13-2023, 03:53 PM.

Re: Corsair VS650 - I was expecting more damage

meter the old cap - maybe it shorted internally

Comment

I had the same exact thing happen to a ThermalTake Smart M Series M850W (model SP-850AH3CCB) power supply - main input cap shorted and it blew the fuse. Replaced the fuse and cap and works like nothing ever happened. Here's the thread about it:
      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62832

And yes stj, in my case, the main input cap was shorted. It was only a 400V-rated cap, so I suspect when the APFC section starts, it sometimes perhaps over-boosts the voltage and makes the cap "eat" the excess.

For this reason, I don't recommend anything less than caps rated for 420V in PSUs with APFC. If possible to fit, use 450V-rated caps of the same capacitance.

And one thing I've been experimenting with (and have confirmed Delta does it on their server PSUs) is adding a PP (PolyPropylene) film capacitor in parallel with the main input electrolytic. The idea being here that the PP cap will handle all of the high-voltage transients of the APFC circuit and possibly also off-load some of the filtering of the high-frequency ripple current from the input electrolytic cap. Also, in the case where the input electrolytic cap goes open, the PP cap may possibly provide at least enough energy storage to safely off-load the APFC inductor and then make the APFC controller shut down. Otherwise, when the input electrolytic goes open, I've seen the energy dumped from the APFC inductor take out MOSFETs and other silicon. Depending on your luck, that can be very few or very many parts.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        meter the old cap - maybe it shorted internally
        Not when I've measured it.........40K resistance right now..............I guess it blow away due to voltage............... Whatever, PSU fixed

Comment

I wish it usually is that easy!
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
          X