Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ROG Front Base repair

Hi guys.
    I ordered used ROG front base guy claiming it is working.
    But when I got home,I installed it with my MoBo which is supported and only got white backlight..
    It was a rip off,luckly did not paid much for this thing.
    But carefullly inspecting the board I see broken notch on SATA connector so my assumption is that maybe someone was installing the SATA power cable from PSU in opposite direction and fried "something" on board (look at the pic below).
    So with your guys experience what do you think, if that is the case, what component(s) could be dead, and what to test and how in order to try to repair this thing?
    Luckly I ordered second one, this time from other guy claiming this one is working.
    So maybe I will have 2 of them and judging by the working one maybe I could test the working one and compare voltages,ohms,amps or diode mode with failed one.
    But I dunno which components should I test first for failure?
    I did some pics so you guys can see the PCB.
    Attached Files

Re: ROG Front Base repair

I wish I had something that took those kind of pictures. What is it? Otherwise I have no clue what kind of thing you are talking about and probably nobody else can troubleshoot your issue until you post so MODEL NAMES AND NUMBERS for the thing in your pictures. Assuming that little lack dot it the controller, and then you should check the ribbon cables for damage. Assume that your MB plugs into that broken female socket, the socket is not the issue unless the contacts are damaged inside. It looks like to me the CONTACTS for that connector are on the side closest to the physical board, have you looked at them?..there should be 15 visible contact stripes inside that female scoket. If the contacts are carbon and on the top of the socket, the one on the RIGHT is damaged. You could always HOT GLUE your connector if it is. Give us som more pics from way further back and some model number and manufacturer.
    Last edited by captainKKK; 01-08-2023, 05:01 PM.

Comment

The device name is Asus Rog Front Base.
      I took pics with Samsung Galaxy Note 10+

Comment

Download the user manual to this "invention", you need some "ROG_EXT Cable" as well as an AAFP audio cable for it to connect to mobo. Do you have it ?
        Last edited by DynaxSC; 01-10-2023, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DynaxSC View Post
          Download the user manual to this "invention", you need some "ROG_EXT Cable" as well as an AAFP audio cable for it to connect to mobo. Do you have it ?
          The working one came 2 days ago and works normally.
          So now I have 2 working and none working one.
          What now?

Comment

Originally posted by captainKKK View Post
            I wish I had something that took those kind of pictures. What is it? Otherwise I have no clue what kind of thing you are talking about and probably nobody else can troubleshoot your issue until you post so MODEL NAMES AND NUMBERS for the thing in your pictures. Assuming that little lack dot it the controller, and then you should check the ribbon cables for damage. Assume that your MB plugs into that broken female socket, the socket is not the issue unless the contacts are damaged inside. It looks like to me the CONTACTS for that connector are on the side closest to the physical board, have you looked at them?..there should be 15 visible contact stripes inside that female scoket. If the contacts are carbon and on the top of the socket, the one on the RIGHT is damaged. You could always HOT GLUE your connector if it is. Give us som more pics from way further back and some model number and manufacturer.
            I'd probably need microscope to check those contacts and I am not pro not either amateur in repairing this stuff.

Comment

So assuming he did plug sata power cable opposite way to tje board what potentially could be damaged?
              I see a lot of caps near connector one chip and one mosfet/transistor.

Comment

I connected it once again to MoBo and I am geting only backlight.
                So I assume this repair is not for amateurs
                Probably smth messed up with power circutry.

Comment

Working...
                X