Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Properly connecting power to the motherboard

Hello guys,
    I have a brand new motherboard Asus TUF X570, that I just installed into chassis. Now I need to connect the power connectors properly. There is thing that confuses me and I want to double check, because I don't want to make any mistake.

Please have a look at the attached picture. This is extract from the manual. While 24 pin connector is obvious on the right hand side, EATX12V2 and EATX12_1 are not that obvious. I pretty sure it is power supply for the CPU. Now, from the PSU there are both 4 pins and 8 pins connectors. Normally, motherboards have only one of the type, but this has two. Should I connect both connectors from the PSU, or only one? The manual says that user should not connect only 4 pin connect but either both or only 8 pins. This will be a gaming PC, so I don't know why there is an option to choose.
    I guess if the premium GPU card is used, then both connectors are needed.

Maybe the question is stupid, but better safe than sorry.

Thank you!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Adenitz; 01-09-2023, 07:19 AM.

Re: Properly connecting power to the motherboard

This question is not stupid, if you're only using a low-power processor and have no plans on overclocking 1x CPU 8 pins on EATX12_1 is fine.
    But if you are using a higher-powered processor and have plans for overclocking it is recommended to plug in both EATX12_1 and EATX12_2

Keep in mind: Max continuous power on one CPU 8 pin is 235w, while one CPU 4 pin is 135w

so if you have a high-power processor or overclocked one that is near 200w it is better to put both EATX12_1 and EATX12_2.

Edit: This might be obvious but make sure to plug the right cables, mostly on a modular PSU. switching them may have bad effects.
    Last edited by Yolofolkss; 01-09-2023, 09:12 AM. Reason: Wrong word

Comment

Thank you Yolofolkss,
      good to know these numbers. Yes, I do have modular PSU and I connected the cables with great caution.

Comment

I would always connect both cables, even if you currently use a low powered CPU. If you switch to a more demanding CPU later on, the cables will already be routed and you won´t have to take out the mobo again.

Comment

Originally posted by FZG View Post
          I would always connect both cables, even if you currently use a low powered CPU. If you switch to a more demanding CPU later on, the cables will already be routed and you won´t have to take out the mobo again.
          +1
          If you have the cables on the PSU, might as well use them. It won't hurt anything.

Comment

Working...
          X