LG OLed Main Board Swap Upgrade Compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG OLed Main Board Swap Upgrade Compatibility

Hello ! I'm taking a chance here to see if there are any LG techs or anyone who messed with LG OLed panels here that know anything about my issue.

So i have an LG panel, it's from a OLED65B7 model. Second TV is a lg OLED65BX (new model) with a cracked panel.

So i took all the guts, and put it on the B7 Panel. It *somehow* works but image is not ok, it seems the reds/yellows/blacks are messed up.

I have heard (a quick google search shows many reddit users doing sucessful swaps) and i've done it myself, you can use a board from a B7/B8/B9, C7/C8/C9 and they are all cross compatible with each other,

But there's some new variants out there, like this BX i'm using, or CX, or C1, C2 even more recent. I'm just trying to figure out, am i facing a different hardware that is not compatible, or could it be something that can be adjusted from the service menus (lots of options in there)..

I attached the screenshot of the service menu, where we can also see the bad colors, more greenish in the middle for the yellows..

Or would it be a bad panel or bad tcon ?

I haven't tried the panel with a C9 board but will do and report soon.

Thanks for any inputs on this
    Attached Files

Re: LG OLed Main Board Swap Upgrade Compatibility

the problem are at T-CON firmware... if used BX T-con with BX Main board send first IN_Stop to let the firmware align the panel. or use B7 T-con and do Firmware downgrade to let MB and T-CON firmware align together

Comment

Hi Diah, exactly what i was wishing for!!

So, i cannot use a BX tcon as the flexes to the panel arent the same,

so im using BX main/B7 tcon

I hope the IN_stop does the job!!

Comment

Ok so to confirm, IN_Stop didn't fix the issue at all, it remains. Any other ideas on this ?!?

Comment

Diah, how do i downgrade firmware like you said, you are talking about the WebOS or the Tcon firmware itself ?

Comment

Ok, scratch that, i did a bit of research.

Question : Why your suggestion of a downgrade, to be able to upgrade it after ?

If it's not a the latest version, i could simply do an upgrade and it should adjust itself to the B7 t-con ?

Comment

you need to flash firmware... so the main board section and T-CON section will match together.... of course you can upgrade.. the both will match... but incase the Mainboard had the last Firmware Ver. then need to downgrade to old one so the both will match together... downgrade need to use Apache server on pc

Comment

Ok. It seems the tv is getting better by itself.. Self repairing tv?

Or maybe im just tired.

For the record, much easier method of downgrading WebOS fw here:
                https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/h...cx6la.4376371/

Comment

The t-con is factory programmed on the panel to prevent Mura clouding, these settings are stored in an EMMC. If you are going to replace a t-con then you have to transfer the software, LG has a Jig/tool for that that reads the old t-con and temporarily saves the settings on a PC and places them later in the new t-con. The Jig is this one; RAD33387801 and is not very cheap.
                  You can also try transferring the contents of the EMMC manually but that depends on the t-cons.

Comment

Ok, but im using the originl tcon that came with the panel. Motherboard/psu/wifi comes from another tv

Comment

you can also log in service menu " E-Z AdJ" take look if the B7 Panel listed at BX MB.. if it listed mean the parameter will be adjust automatically.... about self repair LOL... OLED at cold start always do Pixel Refresh.... this action can be due manually too via normal system menu.

Comment

Hi there, no the B7 panel isnt, in the list in ez-adj.. I will try with a C9 motherboard i think later to see if it does any better..

Comment

I wonder if you can put a C1 motherboard into an A1 and get 120Hz + other benefits.

In your case it seems mismatch between t-con and MB, of course the panel on both tvs can be different, shouldn't BX series panel be the same as B9? Only some C1 and all G1 TVs has the EVO panel, now replaced by new and better panel on G2.

Comment

Is there a way to check the panel with some kind of EDID info like with did with pc monitors ?

I was wondering exactly in the lines of what Diah said, i went thru the service menu and in the panel type i didn't have BX as the choices so.. It might be why it's incompatible

BX is like B10 from what i understand, *should* work as it's in the same series as B7/8/9 but it might be a different beast, might have settings that this panel needs removed up to some point.

Would downgrading the SW version and forcing and upgrade make it any better or am i losing my time ?

I'll try the C9 motherboard once i receive it's matching Wifi/IR receiver.

TV looks ok in some parts, but it's really greenish people look sick, mostly in the middle. Im hoping it's not badly burned-in pixels.

Comment

go head to downgrade.... so the T-CON NVRAM will flashed as the mainboards..
                              or first changeBx serial and model to B7 then do the downgrade.with B7 firmware incase the both MB matched in HW

Comment

Originally posted by cheebster View Post
                                I was wondering exactly in the lines of what Diah said, i went thru the service menu and in the panel type i didn't have BX as the choices so.. It might be why it's incompatible.
                                Panel Type code you can see it on the panrel chassis lable.. it will not contian any things related to module code as BX oe B7

Comment

Ok.. Thats another option then where i had the CX BX WX etc as choices..

Anyhow, software was not up to date so i did an update and issue remains

I think at this point its just burn-in as the greys/blacks are ok now..

Comment

Hi. Anyone with experience can see from these pics if its just horrible burn-in?

I do see the cnn logo, but it looks like its burned on all colors..
                                    Attached Files

Comment

its typical fault at OLED Panel not only TVs but Mobile too... high contrast burn the second sheet over OLEDs cell. .. if the sheet luckily wise not effected so much refresh Pixel would make it little better or disappeared.

Comment

Working...
                                      X