Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MBP 2018 A1990, Voiceover works but no display after U9080 replaced

Hi,

This Macbook came in for display replacement but had corrosion around U9080. I advised the customer but they did not want to pay for motherboard work... unfortunately at the time I was unaware of this common issue. Laptop returned after two weeks with no boot. PPBUS_G3H_SSD0_SND and PP2V5_NAND_SSD0 were shorted. When I removed U9800 the short was gone. I replaced U9080 and still no short.
    At first boot attempt I got 20V and heard the startup chime, no apple logo but saw the current draw exceeding 3A and I turned off power.
    I tried to boot without the battery and the current draw didn't exceed 2.5A so I assume the battery was charging as the reason for the > 3A draw.
    The laptop seems to boot but with no display, nothing external either. I see the "esc" light up on the touch bar, caps lock lights when I press it, I hear the voiceover come on when I press the power button 3 times and I'm able to navigate a bit by tapping the touchpad with 3 fingers and using the arrow buttons. I was able to shut down this way.
    I'm thinking that since the voiceover works then the NAND are good?
    I have not tried SMC or PRAM reset, safe mode yet. For now I just wanted to get an opinion about the NAND from the more experienced persons on the forum, I read on another thread that if the caps lock lights then the OS has booted. TIA

Reason for reposting - I thought the title could be better, sorry if I made any violations. Admins please delete the previous thread I created for this.
Working...
X