ACER Nitro AN515-53-55H5 Keyboard problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ACER Nitro AN515-53-55H5 Keyboard problem

Hi all., can anyone help me get this ACER Nitro AN515-53-55H5 (Motherboard LA-F952P Rev: 1.0) keybaord working. I replaced it with another main motherboard as my previous one had the power section burnt. The new motherboard works & boots up finebut the keyboard does not work at all. I know that the laptop keyboard was 100% working with the older motherboard & when I installed this new one, it does not sense any keys. The ON/OFF button is on the keyboard & it works fine. The keyboard neither works in the BIOS setup or Windows 10. I use an external USB Keyboard & it is working fine without any problem. On JKB2, which this laptop uses, I get 3.3v on most of the point. Is there 5v on any of the pins as I cannot measure 5v on any of the pins? Do you think the I/O chip is defective??? I need the help in this one, thanks for all the help in advance.

Re: ACER Nitro AN515-53-55H5 Keyboard problem

Originally posted by mferna14 View Post
    Hi all., can anyone help me get this ACER Nitro AN515-53-55H5 (Motherboard LA-F952P Rev: 1.0) keybaord working. I replaced it with another main motherboard as my previous one had the power section burnt. The new motherboard works & boots up finebut the keyboard does not work at all. I know that the laptop keyboard was 100% working with the older motherboard & when I installed this new one, it does not sense any keys. The ON/OFF button is on the keyboard & it works fine. The keyboard neither works in the BIOS setup or Windows 10. I use an external USB Keyboard & it is working fine without any problem. On JKB2, which this laptop uses, I get 3.3v on most of the point. Is there 5v on any of the pins as I cannot measure 5v on any of the pins? Do you think the I/O chip is defective??? I need the help in this one, thanks for all the help in advance.
    If your keyboard work on bios even power button, maybe your proble is OS. does your touchpad working on windows ?

Comment

Dear, "martha februarini" thanks for the reply, I think you did not read the motherboard error description well, I clearly said it "keyboard neither works in the BIOS setup or Windows 10". This is where I am having problem. Thanks replying back.

Comment

No 5 volts since the KBC is the scan controller and the GPIO are at 3v3. Confirm the interface cable is firmly seated. The mating connectors are soldered on the logic board. The replacement keyboard is for sure compatible?
        Are you able to test the original keyboard on this box?

Does the keyboard backlight work? The enable for the backlight is also invoked by the same KBC IC. The firmware is inside this device.

Comment

It seems new mb is not faulty as you have 3.3V on many pins and power button of kbd is working is sure indication of keyboard being powered. Keyboard fail very often. I'll strongly suggest to replace the keyboard first even though you assumed it was working 100%. Before trying out a new kbd, its not advisable to mess up with EC.

Comment

Originally posted by mferna14 View Post
            Dear, "martha februarini" thanks for the reply, I think you did not read the motherboard error description well, I clearly said it "keyboard neither works in the BIOS setup or Windows 10". This is where I am having problem. Thanks replying back.
            sorry i didn't read carefully, i think i'm sleepy when read your description. i'm facing problem like yours many times cause dry solder join from keyboard connector and pull up resistor form keyboard to kbc.
            I agree with mcplslg123, just check again before mess up with kbc. Try to resolder keyboard connector or pull up resistor if they're exist on your keyboard

Comment

Do you have a keyboard tester to use?

Comment

Thanks for all yous tips & answers, I do not have a replacement keyboard for this ACER model. One thing more, I do not physically see any pull-up resistors, the circuit is directing going into the KBC. I will take another with a 30-pin connector & attach it to this motheboard. Let me see what happens. It should print characters when pressing any or all the buttons. This might proof that the KBC is working & the keyboard is faulty. Let me check today. Thanks all.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
                  No 5 volts since the KBC is the scan controller and the GPIO are at 3v3. Confirm the interface cable is firmly seated. The mating connectors are soldered on the logic board. The replacement keyboard is for sure compatible?
                  Are you able to test the original keyboard on this box?

Does the keyboard backlight work? The enable for the backlight is also invoked by the same KBC IC. The firmware is inside this device.
                  The Keyboard backlight is ON, & turns on very normal.

Comment

Just for fun sake, I carefully removed the IO (KB9022Q) chip from the old motherboard & installed it in the new MB, still same error, keyboard does not work all. I cannot try another keyboard because I do not have a 28pin cable keyboard. Keyboard is totally dead, only ON/OFF button & Keyb Backlight works 100% fine. Do you think any SMT chip or component inside the keyboard which is not allowing the keyboard to power on??? Any tips will be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Comment

Why waste so much time and energy in troubleshooting a keyboard issue?? Just order a new keyboard. You are residing in Canada where it is very likely available atleast online.

Comment

Yes "mcplslg123", I will just order a New keyboard today... Good it not too costly.. Hopefully this might rectify the problem. Thanks, will surely keep you updated.

Comment

Acer keyboards are total crap and fail regularly. Especially the ones with integrated power buttons.

Comment

Thanks @reformatt for the information. I have ordered another keyboard, once confirmed that this keyboard is defective I will inform you guys. I will surely tear apart the keyboard to see what is going wrong with the old keyb if faulty.

Comment

Originally posted by reformatt View Post
                              Acer keyboards are total crap and fail regularly. Especially the ones with integrated power buttons.
                              Agreed.What about Asus kbd?? I think they are even worst then acer.

Comment

Acer and Asus are the two brands I tell everyone to avoid.

I was in Harvey Norman the other day (a big electrical retailer here in Oz). I was waiting on the other half and standing in the computer section in front of a couple of Acer/Asus machines. Young sales kid asks me if I'm interested, and I said these are the two brands I tell everyone to avoid. So he asks what would I buy?? I said nothing you sell in here. And he asks me why. Suffice to say after 5 mins his eyes were spinning.

Comment

Originally posted by reformatt View Post
                                  Acer and Asus are the two brands I tell everyone to avoid.

I was in Harvey Norman the other day (a big electrical retailer here in Oz). I was waiting on the other half and standing in the computer section in front of a couple of Acer/Asus machines. Young sales kid asks me if I'm interested, and I said these are the two brands I tell everyone to avoid. So he asks what would I buy?? I said nothing you sell in here. And he asks me why. Suffice to say after 5 mins his eyes were spinning.
                                  you are right. especially asus zenbooks are real crap. have had so many of these machines with broken traces. they are the most sensitive ones i have ever seen when it comes to this type of failure. acer machines sometimes have the weirdest logic failures though...
                                  Last edited by rediii; 02-03-2023, 03:50 AM.

Comment

The question is HOW DOES THIS KEYBOARD GO TOTALLY DEAD???? Hope this is the problem, then I will tear apart the old one & check what goes wrong with them, how does it get totally dead & not a single key work. May the GRD trace might be burnt or cut off due to some reason. Hopefully this is the problem. The new keyboard is on it's way, might receive it within these days, I will keep you guys updated. Thanks

Comment

suffice to say after 5 mins his eyes were spinning.
                                      lmao

Comment

I have seen an issue on a HP Probook where the keyboard didn't work because of the WIFI button assembly. I actually replaced the EC on that one, had it all working only to find keyboard not working when I reassembled it. When disconnected, the keyboard began working. I sent it back to the shop it came from and they replaced that board which fixed it.

So just make sure you have everything else not essential disconnected to rule it out. Be surprised if the KB didn't fix it, they are truly awful.

Comment

Working...
                                        X