Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does higher voltage tolerance mean more robust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does higher voltage tolerance mean more robust?

Where electrolytic capacitors are concerned, when you're replacing them on a board that's say ... 20 years old...

Let's say we have a 10uF cap that is rated at 25 Volts.

If I replace that with a 10uF cap that is rated at 50 Volts, would that 50-volt cap be more resilient in terms of longevity and being able to handle more stress than the 25V cap ... assuming the cap will live a normal life and not have any defects throughout its life.

Does upping the voltage rating of a cap make any difference at in terms of longevity and over all "robustness"?

Re: Does higher voltage tolerance mean more robust?

It depends on the kind of circuit, and type of cap used. If it's used for power filtering it's usually ok to go fairly higher voltage, but the quality of the cap is also huge factor. Other than that, it depends. Others here should give you a better answer
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Re: Does higher voltage tolerance mean more robust?

Originally posted by EasyGoing1 View Post
      longevity and over all "robustness"?
      If you change within the same series, most likely yes.
      Look at the datasheet, it usually specifies the runtime at operating voltage and temperature and this value in hours often correlates to the size of the capacitor.
      i.e. if you put a capacity of the same series at a higher voltage, its size is probably larger and it is likely to indicate more hours of failure (but not always).

see the attached picture of Nichicon HE datasheet, it even describes that higher voltage -> more working hours
      [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Working...
      X