Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooler Master 550 watt - fan spins few seconds and then stop

Hi guys,

i got this broken computer PSU with model number MPX5501AMAAB.

i detected that 1 of the diode (model number: SB2100) was broken and replaced with a new one. but that not solved the issue as the problem is still persists which indicates that other components are also shorted. maybe someone can advice on what to do next?

I attached some pictures for reference.

on the other hand, i encountered quite a few PSUs with the same problem..i.e the diode is shorted/opened but replacing it not solving the issue..may this be a good indicator what is the real problem is? maybe some of you experience the same thing and can direct what should i be looking for for such situation.
    Attached Files

Re: Cooler Master 550 watt - fan spins few seconds and then stop

Lets start at the beginning. Do you have 5 volts on the 5vsb output line?
    Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

Originally posted by everell View Post
      Lets start at the beginning. Do you have 5 volts on the 5vsb output line?
      hi everell, thank you for your reply. based on this picture i got from the psu tester showing that 3.3v is missing..the 5 volts is present.
      Attached Files

Comment

"bronze"=Sigh.

You'll be lucky to get 7 years with the original caps. I don't expect that one to be a lick better than my 2008 FSP 500W. Looked like it likely didn't even last as long.

Judging by appearance, it looks like the PSU was possibly made in the period of 2016-2019. If true, that would be recent enough that it failing now, is a big problem!
        Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 11-08-2022, 08:05 AM.
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

you have 3.3v - it's on the lcd.
          the leds refer to the extra cables on the left.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
            you have 3.3v - it's on the lcd.
            the leds refer to the extra cables on the left.
            i see. but the fan spins and stops after few seconds..i tested the fan and the fan is working well..what am i missing here

Comment

remove and inspect the fan control pcb - it may be waiting for the heatsink to warm up, or monitoring the current being drawn.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                remove and inspect the fan control pcb - it may be waiting for the heatsink to warm up, or monitoring the current being drawn.
                yea there is a small board that the fan is connected to it. i will desolder the board and inspect the ic

Comment

anyone knows any ic equivalent to apw9010? i am looking for the replacement of the fan controller ic

Comment

Originally posted by pronester View Post
                    i see. but the fan spins and stops after few seconds..i tested the fan and the fan is working well..what am i missing here
                    I learn that some atx psu need external load to come on operating state, dont judge on fan. Your tester shows all voltage present. If you connect motherboard, what happens?

See this thread as reference
                    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=114144

Comment

Working...
                    X