Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft just Giving 11 Away these days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microsoft just Giving 11 Away these days?

I was experimenting with a clean Win11 install on an Asrock J3455-ITX. Install went fine, blank drive, no key entered (it asked for one). Unmodified ISO, just the CPU pre-checks removed.

I do this all the time for experiments with 10....install the OS and run it not activated, but still 100% functions....but get a load of this:

Connected to the interwebs, and it activated....

No idea why.....no key was ever entered. Board is not an OEM (dell, hp, lenovo, etc), so no embedded key; I was asked for a key and just clicked "i don't have one"....
    Attached Files
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: Microsoft just Giving 11 Away these days?

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/disad...ivated-windows
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

I think Microsoft fingerprint the hardware, they've given you an 11 key based on that perhaps. One more user adds to those great numbers in their press releases.

Comment

you just got asimilated - welcome to the borg.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
          I think Microsoft fingerprint the hardware, they've given you an 11 key based on that perhaps. One more user adds to those great numbers in their press releases.
          I was wondering the same thing. These came from an EDU. They had 10 EDU-N on them, I nuked the drives. Installed 11 to test some things, didn't need it to be activated for this...and lo & behold it activated...
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Same here. Have computer that never had winsneeze on it, just Linux. I recently sold the computer put a new ssd and loaded a fresh copy of winsnot 11 on it. Activated just fine. Had to do nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
              Same here. Have computer that never had winsneeze on it, just Linux. I recently sold the computer put a new ssd and loaded a fresh copy of winsnot 11 on it. Activated just fine. Had to do nothing.
              Maybe Microsoft finally came to the realization that the OS war is long over.... So many viable alternatives today.... Windows has its uses, but I've sold many on Mint who just needed a general purpose PC.

Since yours never had Winblows on it, that eliminates the 'fingerprint' theory....I thought sure that would have been it, since these did have W10 on them at one point through an EDU's VLK.
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

given the amount of "telemetry" in this shit, they probably see your data as worth more than a license.
                so they changed the business model to match google's!!!!

Comment

I’ve only got winsh*t because I need to run certain programs for work and it’s a work computer that they gave me. Even at work I’ve got a Linux machine sitting next to the other one. Anything else of mine is either iPadOS or some flavour of Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                    I’ve only got winsh*t because I need to run certain programs for work and it’s a work computer that they gave me. Even at work I’ve got a Linux machine sitting next to the other one. Anything else of mine is either iPadOS or some flavour of Linux.
                    I have 2 main windows machines here for that reason, running utils I frequent. All of the basic web browsing stations around here (every bench has one) is either mint 20/21 or dual boots; with mint being the primary.

You mentioned IOS (apple) on ipads, their business model these days is as disgraceful as microsoft these days. I've always hated Apple for their forced obsolescence... M$ tried it with 11 on anything older than a 7th gen I-series but seemingly quickly backed off that....I have it running on stuff as old as C2Q era processors for experimental purposes... The things & hoops one has to do to force newer versions of OSX to run on apple gear is just mind boggling.
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

Well, without my lil iPad I’d be lost. Keeps me in line with everything going on. Plus the ability to take pictures and draw around on them for troubleshooting purpose. The only thing I regret is that I got the 11” screen. I should have picked the larger one. Other than that, by the time this thing is obsolete, it’s going to be done for anyway, as I use mine a lot.

Comment

^
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                          I've always hated Apple for their forced obsolescence... M$ tried it with 11 on anything older than a 7th gen I-series but seemingly quickly backed off that....I have it running on stuff as old as C2Q era processors for experimental purposes
                          You still have to bypass the CPU check to get it to install, and then you have to argue with it to not use a Microsoft account (which seems pointless to me anyway).

On computers that do meet the official requirements, it's GWX all over again. Today, someone told me that their computer crashed, and when they restarted it, it started installing Windows 11 on its own. My own laptop was trying to push it on me, but I figured out the hoops to jump through to delay it "for now."

I'm going to have to figure out how to switch operating systems for my video capture setup. From what I've seen, the best thing to do is set up another computer with either XP or 7 because nobody has cared enough to write decent capture software for Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                            You still have to bypass the CPU check to get it to install, and then you have to argue with it to not use a Microsoft account (which seems pointless to me anyway).
                            Create your bootable media with RUFUS, RUFUS has options to skip the CPU check, skip the 'telemetry questionnaire', AND allow creation of a local account without any hassles....easiest way is don't connect it to the internet until after the account is created; telling it 'continue with limited access'.....IE, local account! Another hint: When creating a local account, leave the password field blank (no password)...then you don't have to fill in the retarded 'security questions'...after the account is created and you've got your desktop, create your password through 'computer management' like normal....without having to set up the silly security questions/answers.
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                              Create your bootable media with RUFUS, RUFUS has options to skip the CPU check, skip the 'telemetry questionnaire', AND allow creation of a local account without any hassles....easiest way is don't connect it to the internet until after the account is created; telling it 'continue with limited access'.....IE, local account! Another hint: When creating a local account, leave the password field blank (no password)...then you don't have to fill in the retarded 'security questions'...after the account is created and you've got your desktop, create your password through 'computer management' like normal....without having to set up the silly security questions/answers.
                              Yep, I always leave the password field blank then use Control Panel (not the Settings app) to add a password later so I don't have to do the dumb security questions.

I put Win11 on my Dell Latitude E7270 which is a 6th gen i5, not officially supported using the Win10 to 11 upgrade option. However, simply installing a fresh copy off a USB drive worked perfectly and it runs GREAT. MS really messed up by "requiring" a "modern" platform.

Comment

m$ and intel work together.

when amd released their 64bit cpu m$ refused to release 64bit windows until intel's 64bit cpu went on sale over a year later!

Comment

I am still using a very old iPad I mostly used for the SkyRc battery tester on it for a to show the results and a while back there was an update on the os which I was surprised by sense it was supposedly not supported anymore
                                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                  30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                                  10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                                  6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                                  1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                                  25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                                  6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                                  1 Dell Mother Board
                                  15 Computer Power Supply
                                  1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                                  2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                                  All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Working...
                                  X