Coil Whine , buzzing, identifying parts R9 Fury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coil Whine , buzzing, identifying parts R9 Fury

I have an R9 Furty Nano ( R9 2XX IIRC ) that I want to put to use , I got it on ebay for quite cheap but, it has some of the worse coil whine I have heard .

I tried putting a long tube on my ear and hovered it around the card while in use , I cannot pinpoint it . However I my educated guess is , that it the whine is an inductor coil and it is one or all of these in the picture . Does anyone know what part this is and what part I can replace them with .

Perhaps likely is that I am missing something else it could be , here is a stock picture of the PCB

Attached Files

Re: Coil Whine , buzzing, identifying parts R9 Fury

The markings (0.19 uH) suggest they are 190 Nano Henrys if I am not mistaken ?

Any idea where to get these? I only see these in the 100-200 Micro Henry range
    Last edited by 90Ninety; 12-20-2022, 05:37 AM.

Comment

uF is capacitance as micro Farad.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
        uF is capacitance as micro Farad.
        Typo

Edited to 'H' for Henry

Comment

Originally posted by 90Ninety View Post
          Typo

Edited to 'H' for Henry
          Micro isn't Nano , it's simply Micro . Those inductances are 0.1 micro Henry as labeled . Anyway , my opinion is those inductances aren't the problem and there is no need to replace them . You stated that you bought it for cheap , and that means the unit was put aside for a quite longtime and its soldering became rusty . Coils are delivering power and the chipset ain't taking it normally , leading to whining . I think you need to reflow ...

Comment

Graphics card coil whine can also be caused by the PC's power supply and cabling. Check that the card gets good power, connectors are not bent etc.

I ended up adding 20,000uF to the 12V rail on my PC to shut it all up.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
              Graphics card coil whine can also be caused by the PC's power supply and cabling. Check that the card gets good power, connectors are not bent etc.

I ended up adding 20,000uF to the 12V rail on my PC to shut it all up.
              Good call but unfortunately it is definitely the GPU , the R9 290/390/Fury were pretty notorious for Coil whine

I had tried the GPU with multiple PC's , the problem follows the card

Comment

A shameless bump before I flip this thing on ebay . The whine is triggering my tinnitus

Comment

Working...
                X