Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SMPS - Can they all handle wide range of Input Voltage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMPS - Can they all handle wide range of Input Voltage?

Hello Forum - See I got this SMPS Module!....its sourced from a US device and I'm in Australia.

As we know Supply voltages in Australia 240v Versus 120V US.

The Model of the SMPS is EAX39561401 and is used in LG and JVC DVD/VCR Player/Recorders...same model is used in both Australia and US...but perhaps they have differences??

What's the chances I can use it in Australia - plugging it in to 240v instead of its origin country at 120v?

Is it expected that most SMPS in such devices would handle between 100-240V by default?

How can I be sure it will not go Boom!

TIA

Re: SMPS - Can they all handle wide range of Input Voltage?

NO, it's not safe to assume that it will work at both voltages.

A lot can but it's not guaranteed. Companies that target multiple countries tend to make units that are wide input just to reduce the number of SKUs for cost.

Sometimes cheaper capacitors are used in low voltage areas but this depends on whether the IC/inductors are sufficient to begin with for wide-voltage.

Comment

eccerr0r thanks for your thoughts!

Is it possible in anyway to ascertain if the module is able to handle a wide range input voltage or not?

FWIW here is the Circuit from an SM....it does not say specifically unfortunately.!

EDIT
      I noted from the Schematic it states C103 can be either 100uF 'WIDE', 150uF 'NARROW', and 63uF 'S.AFRICA, INDO, CIS' - wondering what 'WIDE' is referring to.
      At the moment C103 is a 150uF so its NARROW.

Voltage in S.AFRICA, INDO, CIS' is 230v
      Attached Files
      Last edited by ketone; 12-17-2022, 03:42 AM.

Comment

You must check that capacitor C103 is really rated for 450v as the schematic shows.
        A quick Google search shows it is commonly rated for 250v only (cost cutting option for 115VAC countries...)
        There could be more differences too...
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
          You must check that capacitor C103 is really rated for 450v as the schematic shows.
          A quick Google search shows it is commonly rated for 250v only (cost cutting option for 115VAC countries...)
          There could be more differences too...
          Thanks Per

Yes currently C103 is a 250v 150uF - so "NARROW' and lower voltage.

I could change it easily for a 450V 100uf 'WIDE'
          or 63uF 450V cap..
          Not sure what 'WIDE' gives me as in what input range it then allows.
          the 63uF is meant for S.AFRICA so I know its supply voltage is 230V...pretty close to Australia's 240V supply.

Then as you say there could be differences not listed in the Schematic...
          Last edited by ketone; 12-17-2022, 03:53 AM.

Comment

I just spotted that Australia uses the 63uF 450v for the same module - spotted from a picture of one on sale in Australia - ebay.

Still hard to ascertain if any other differences from a picture.

Comment

Shouldn’t that info be on the sticker on the unit? It should state the voltage and amps.

Comment

Originally posted by ketone View Post
                Thanks Per

Yes currently C103 is a 250v 150uF - so "NARROW' and lower voltage.

I could change it easily for a 450V 100uf 'WIDE'
                or 63uF 450V cap..
                Not sure what 'WIDE' gives me as in what input range it then allows.
                Narrow and wide might actually just be the two different footprint rings on the board...
                Only one way to found out: mount a 450v cap and see if it explodes when you connect it to mains
                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

dont forget to change the fuse to half it's current value
                  no pun intended.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                    Narrow and wide might actually just be the two different footprint rings on the board...
                    Only one way to found out: mount a 450v cap and see if it explodes when you connect it to mains
                    Well yep I think so.... will rig up a 25/50watt dim bulb/load lamps in series with the power supply. Still Im not sure that would save any damage...maybe less smoke !

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                      Shouldn't that info be on the sticker on the unit? It should state the voltage and amps.
                      No stickers - the model is EAX39561401 and they use the same Model number for use across different countries and different Electrical Devices its used in...so not very helpful..perhaps thats hinting that they are all basically the same but who knows!

The schematic I posted highlights the different Capacitor C103 as a difference between locations.

Will see how she blows! I mean goes after changing the Cap.

Comment

For Ref
                        Uploaded pictures of a 240v EAX39561401 board
                        and a 120V EAX39561401 Board for visual comparison.

Physical size of Cap C103 looks the same between the two boards...so perhaps the terms 'NARROW' and 'WIDE' seen on the Schematic do refer to Input Voltage ranges?!
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by ketone; 12-17-2022, 08:11 AM.

Comment

remove or upgrade the varistor V101 if you dont want a dramatic explosion!

Comment

That varistor cording to schematic is a 681d14. Since it is 680V rated, it should be good.

Comment

if it's not different for 120v

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                if it's not different for 120v
                                Thanks for questioning!
                                I just checked the Varistor V101 and it is the 650V as per Schematic...and this correlates with the one version of the part as seen in the Parts list.

.. been looking over the Parts listed for this SMPS.
                                Cant see any further gotchas wrt to Voltages as far as I can see.....so once the 450v Cap turns up and installed will test with wooden stick and Dim Bulb.
                                Last edited by ketone; 12-19-2022, 04:30 AM.

Comment

You don’t need both, but either or. Lol

Comment

and a new fuse.
                                    the current flow at 220v is only half that of 110v

Comment

that's a valid point right there!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                        and a new fuse.
                                        the current flow at 220v is only half that of 110v

Good thought - will put in a 750ma fuse

Comment

Working...
                                        X