Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Chrome Dropping Support for Windows 7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Google Chrome Dropping Support for Windows 7?

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
    If you're crafty enough it can. Here it is on essentially a Core2Quad (harpertown Xeon.
    If I can program, seems like I am crafty enough. Unfortunately, this doesn't solve the MS stupidity itself.
    Unfortunately, if you do something like this, MS says that it won't provide support and this is important for enterprises.
    I use Windows10 on my home and work PC-s, not that I like Windows10. I already mentioned how to solve the activation issue
    Unfortunately, when all your business critical software runs on Windows, Linux is just not an option.
    And dropping Chrome support for Windows7 is really bad. Not being able to do your work on Win7 machine forces you to migrate.
    I don't like Win10 and later spyware, MS trying to force people to use online accounts to log onto their machines and the fact that
    customers are not actually in control of their PC, especially when it comes to Win11..
    But I can't do anything about this, when the options are...either use the software that you need to do your job...or you just don't do/can't do your job.
    And this isn't really a choice.
    The fact that Chrome won't support Windows7 anymore hurts me personally more than you think or can imagine.
    Last edited by televizora; 01-01-2023, 03:43 PM.
    Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
    1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Originally posted by televizora View Post
      If I can program, seems like I am crafty enough. Unfortunately, this doesn't solve the MS stupidity itself.
      Unfortunately, if you do something like this, MS says that it won't provide support and this is important for enterprises.
      The C2Q era CPU's won't update with 11. Everything 2nd gen I series and newer that I've tried does. That said, I am not speaking from or for the enterprise markets other than the observation that I have seen a lot of them (and EDU's) ditching M$ and going with chrome or linux.

The fact that Chrome won't support Windows7 anymore hurts me personally more than you think or can imagine.
      SOrry about that.....but it's the nature of technology.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

SOrry about that.....but it's the nature of technology.
        Yes...But if you manage 400+ machines, there are different kinds of problems and concerns... Which are completely different from the problems a single customer with a single PC can have. Money, licensing, time needed to migrate and many other things.
        Last edited by televizora; 01-01-2023, 04:18 PM.
        Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
        1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Yes...But if you manage 400+ machines, there are different kinds of problems and concerns... Which are completely different from the problems a single customer with a single PC can have. Money, licensing, time needed to migrate and many other things.
          I definitely sympathize with your dilemma there, I do understand....but it's what you fellas get paid the big bucks for. I never had any desire to maintain networks of that scale....too much headache, which you're proving me correct in saying!! My best to you!
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

I definitely sympathize with your dilemma there, I do understand.
            It's not that much of dilemma. Just go and check the computers of anything around you that is government funded.
            I bet you won't find 11+ gen Core I5s with 8+GB of RAM, SSD-s and TPM 2.0, which is what MS expects you to have.
            Their requirements are just absurd. To be able to open Spreadsheets. Especially the TPM and gen of the CPU.
            Till this moment the requirements to just run an OS were pretty moderate.
            I never had any desire to maintain networks of that scale....too much headache,
            Yeah... Can't argue. You must test things on several virtual machines with different configs before even trying to deploy them.
            And one mistake can potentially lead to complete halt of everything you do. AD is extremely helpful and can't be easily replaced.
            My best to you!
            Thank you.
            Last edited by televizora; 01-01-2023, 04:45 PM.

Comment

It's not that much of dilemma. Just go and check the computers of anything around you that is government funded.
              I bet you won't find 11+ gen Core I5s with 8+GB of RAM, SSD-s and TPM 2.0, which is what MS expects you to have.
              Their requirements are just absurd. To be able to open Spreadsheets. Especially the TPM and gen of the CPU.
              Till this moment the requirements to just run an OS were pretty moderate.
              It may be different in other parts of the world, but in the US most large businesses and government institutions replace hardware whenever the warranty runs out (generally 3-5 years, of course there are always some exceptions) so by the time win 10 support ends pretty much everything still in service in most of the US corporate/government world should support win 11. Generally (at least places I've worked), vendors dragging their ass on certifying their software for the new OS and custom internal software that needs updates is the main hold-up in upgrading to a new OS.

For smaller businesses and individuals (particularly those not tech savvy enough to do the "workarounds") the hardware requirements do pose an issue though.

I still don't agree with what MS did on the "official" requirements though. I can somewhat understand RAM and SSD requirements given how cheap those are these days (at least in the US), but the CPU/TPM requirements are absolute bullshit, I may understand somewhat them saying they won't provide tech support for installs on older hardware (though given when the OS was released and common hardware lifecycles I'd expect support at least back to 6th gen intel "I"-series and first-gen Ryzen rather than them declaring ~3 year old hardware "obsolete"), but blocking the install and requiring a workaround is complete bullshit.
              Last edited by dmill89; 01-01-2023, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post
                but in the US most large businesses and government institutions replace hardware whenever the warranty runs out (generally 3-5 years, of course there are always some exceptions) so by the time win 10 support ends pretty much everything still in service in most of the US corporate/government world should support win 11. .
                Yeah, everything is so true...till she s... hits the fan...
                Hospital devices exposed to hacking with unsupported operating systems
                Some X-ray, CAT scan and MRI machines are using Windows 7 and Windows XP operating systems. What could go wrong?

That's the sad truth. 2020 - hospital systems in US running on WindowsXP and Windows7. And those systems are responsible for your lives, folks.
                And how much you don't even know and isn't publicly known? Not only hospital and ect. computers running unsupported versions of Windows, but not that competent sysadmins lead to massive ransomware attacks, which paralyzed government sectors and healthcare. Weren't some of your natural gas supply issues related to ransomware as well?Because of outdated systems combined with poor IT security?
                3-5 years? Do you seriously think that government funded organizations or even your overpriced healthcare replaces expensive equipment that often?
                Otherwise, you are entirely correct - about vendors and everything else. I am not criticizing you folks. I am just telling you what the real situation is.
                Some machines aren't replaced till they are so broken that they cannot be fixed at all, as they cost a lot of money.
                I still don't agree with what MS did on the "official" requirements though. I can somewhat understand RAM and SSD requirements given how cheap those are these days (at least in the US), but the CPU/TPM requirements are absolute bullshit, I may understand somewhat them saying they won't provide tech support for installs on older hardware (though given when the OS was released and common hardware lifecycles I'd expect support at least back to 6th gen intel "I"-series and first-gen Ryzen rather than them declaring ~3 year old hardware "obsolete"), but blocking the install and requiring a workaround is complete bullshit.
                Yeah, as I said - pretty absurd requirements that actually impede organizations to even upgrade to newer versions.
                Last edited by televizora; 01-01-2023, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Yeah, everything is so true...till she s... hits the fan...
                  https://www.cnet.com/health/medical/hospital-devices-exposed-to-hacking-with-unsupported-operating-systems/
                  That's the sad truth. 2020 - hospital systems in US running on WindowsXP and Windows7. And those systems are responsible for your lives, folks.
                  And how much you don't even know and isn't publicly known?

3-5 years? Do you seriously think that government funded organizations or even your overpriced healthcare replaces expensive equipment that often?
                  Most do replace the majority of their hardware that often (at least for the generally mass-deployed desktops/laptops), you are definitely correct that "specialty systems" such as those controlling specific machinery/medical devices with proprietary software/hardware that is not easily upgraded are often kept in service much longer. Though in most cases these systems are isolated from the internet (at least in organizations with a half-decent IT security department) so security updates are less of an issue.

Where I work we did keep some Windows XP and 7 systems past the normal end of support (with paid extended support from MS since these all have enterprise licenses), but that was due to waiting for needed software to get updated/certified for the new OS, not the cost of replacing the hardware (in most cases the affected employees actually had two computers for a while, a new one with the new OS for general use and their old one with the old OS for when they needed to use the affected software)

Obviously, there are always exceptions with poorly run organizations, or those that simply don't care about IT until it blows up in their face. Hell, US nuclear missile silos were still using 8-inch floppies until 2019.

Comment

this is all bs,
                    it's intentional blacklisting effectivly.

just try compiling it from source - you can kill any checks and "telemetry" and other talmudic fuckery.

Comment

Most do replace the majority of their hardware that often (at least for the generally mass-deployed desktops/laptops), you are definitely correct that "specialty systems" such as those controlling specific machinery/medical devices with proprietary software/hardware that is not easily upgraded are often kept in service much longer.
                      I am just telling you that if you have to deal with obsolete hardware and software, as well as rampant ransomware attacks, imagine how it is in Eastern European countries, where companies have only a fraction of the budget of your organizations, when it comes to everything, including IT. I know many companies, which buy your 3-5 years old systems to replace their 10-13 years old systems. And everything was fine till Windows11, which generally forces the users to buy brand new systems, as 3-5 years old computers are considered obsolete, despite the fact they are pretty capable, just lacking TPM 2.0 and not checking some other weird checkboxes.
                      And not even talking about all the E-waste, for which Microsoft is solely to be blamed for. Because of all those absurd requirements.
                      Bad times will come when the support of Win10 is discontinued and everyone will be forced to move to Win11. Because of those absurd requirements.
                      Last edited by televizora; 01-01-2023, 06:11 PM.

Comment

It had Win7, 4gb RAM and a spinning HDD....it was getting pretty agonizing to use.
                        I thought that was agonizing four years ago, but I also had a really slow hard drive and a motherboard with some kind of SATA performance problem.

I've even considered getting a Windows 7 system set up for the video capture stuff I was doing a couple years ago. I could even build a faster XP system than the shitty laptop I'm using now. All it needs to do is capture S-Video and dump it to the disk with minimal compression, and then I'll do the rest on my main computer.
                        Originally posted by momaka View Post
                        Lol sorry.
                        Would you believe it, mostly at home.
                        No really, though.

Sorry for the "disappearing without a trace". Was just going through a few small... "hurdles" in life, if I can call them that (nothing major by most normal people's standards.) Still am, but it's all starting to clear up a little better now. In the last year, though, some of these were just driving me crazy. As a result, I couldn't even sit down to write a single word. At some point, I even stopped bothering to go online at all. Didn't really mean to close up, but I slipped for a bit and that's what ended up happening. Then I realized last week, "it's almost next year" and I still hadn't made it back on here.

Gonna be a fun one with starting to clean my mailbox as a start.

Anyways, happy new years to you and everyone here!
                        I was wondering where you went. It's good to see that you're still around.
                        Last edited by lti; 01-01-2023, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                          I could even build a faster XP system than the shitty laptop I'm using now.
                          You can buy second hand pretty capable laptops under 300USD. If we are talking about XP system and commenting a laptop, these two together mean that currently you operate a laptop with some Celeron/Pentium from 1.0 up to 3Ghz, 4GB of RAM and small SSD or mechanical drive.
                          So, for about 300USD you can buy at least 5-6 gen Corei5/i7, 8GB RAM and FHD screen. You will need to eventually upgrade the storage to SSD or bigger SSD/because the 300USD laptop will come with mechanical drive or something like 256GB SSD/ and the RAM.
                          There are USB capture devices that generally can do the job. Unfortunately, it is hard to find high quality capture devices, as those analogue standards are obsolete for a long time now. But the quality of the original recordings/the original signal usually is so low that the difference between whatever 20USD USB Capture device and high end analogue capture device won't be that noticeable anyway.
                          Last edited by televizora; 01-02-2023, 03:02 AM.

Comment

The laptop is even worse than that. It's an Athlon XP with 512MB of RAM and a 120GB SSD running through the buggy IDE to SATA converter that I've mentioned a few times in other posts (6MB/s sequential write with DMA enabled). The USB ports are only USB 1.1, and it can't even hit the expected maximum transfer rate for that old USB version.

I have a USB capture device that looks okay through S-Video, but I can only get it working in one program on one computer. Everything else captures garbage video. It was working on my old Toshiba laptop with Windows 7, but something weird happened to the USB controller.

Comment

The laptop is even worse than that. It's an Athlon XP with 512MB of RAM..
                              Oh, dear. AthlonXP... That's like 20 years old. Yeah, I understand your pain, when it comes to USB capturers, I had similar issues. I was forced to return mine 2 times before they finally sent me one that works. But excluding this, the one that works actually works well. You need to replace that laptop though. It is almost unusable for anything modern.
                              The Athlon one you can use as router or whatever, but not as a daily driver.
                              I have always liked the Pentium 4-s more than Athlons of that time. Some Pentium4 systems are still pretty snappy and fast, even can be used to browse the internet with MyPal. But the same cannot be said about the Athlon systems. I have two with Windows7 and 3GB of RAM(2 slots and DDR2 2GB modules are hard to find). Behave like beasts.
                              Last edited by televizora; 01-02-2023, 11:27 AM.

Comment

It's my fastest retro computer. My daily use computer has an i5-8500 and runs Windows 10.

Comment

The laptop is even worse than that. It's an Athlon XP with 512MB of RAM and a 120GB SSD running through the buggy IDE to SATA converter that I've mentioned a few times in other posts (6MB/s sequential write with DMA enabled).
                                  I saw this issue before on a Intel D875pbz socket 478 motherboard. It only supports SATA I standard. The HDD in the PC it was in also only supported SATA I standard, so they should have been OK. But they weren't. Indeed I was getting the same 4-6 MB/s consistent read/white speeds and very slow response time. I popped the HDD in another (newer) motherboard with SATA II, and it had no problems reading or writing full speed. So I decided to try cloning it on different (and relatively old) SATA II HDD of similar size. Then I put the cloned HDD back in the Intel D875pbz. Problem solved.

Comment

I saw this issue before on a Intel D875pbz socket 478 motherboard. It only supports SATA I standard. The HDD in the PC it was in also only supported SATA I standard, so they should have been OK. But they weren't. Indeed I was getting the same 4-6 MB/s consistent read/white speeds and very slow response time. I popped the HDD in another (newer) motherboard with SATA II, and it had no problems reading or writing full speed. So I decided to try cloning it on different (and relatively old) SATA II HDD of similar size. Then I put the cloned HDD back in the Intel D875pbz. Problem solved.
                                    He's baaa-ack!

I'd be tempted to bet if this situation played out with a non-intel branded 875 board, the results would've been different/better.
                                    Those early SATA1 boards were... primitive; nearly a step backwards.
                                    Their only bragging rights was that they were SATA at all.
                                    SATA wasn't really "ready" til SATA II, IMO...
                                    "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                                    Originally posted by shango066
                                    All style and no substance.
                                    Originally posted by smashstuff30
                                    guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                                    guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

^
                                      Where in the blue frack have you been?!?
                                      Lol sorry.
                                      Would you believe it, mostly at home.
                                      No really, though.
                                      Anyways, happy new years to you and everyone here!
                                      Glad to see you back Momaka and happy new years!
                                      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

The read speed I'm getting is 20MB/s. What's weird is that I was getting 20MB/s write speeds as well before aligning the partitions on the SSD (just a straight clone from the old HDD). It seems like the JMicron IDE-SATA chips don't work with VIA IDE controllers. Older VIA chipsets than the one in that laptop wouldn't support DMA at all when using those converters, but this one works at UDMA2. The response time seems fine, so it ends up feeling about the same as the HDD that it replaced.

Comment

Working...
                                        X