Samsung UN55HU8550F - No picture, No sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung UN55HU8550F - No picture, No sound

Previous owner says this unit powers on and sometime has an image and sometimes not. They attempted to replace the main board but with no success.

TV came with the replacement mainboard as well as the original.

When the TV turns on there is no image or sound. No response to the remote or toggle button other than the power button. The power supply's relay was clipping here and there. It did that for several seconds even after I removed the mains. I did this even with no other boards connected (only the backlight was connected at the time). Backlight looks fine but I haven't tested it with a back light tester yet.

After I got my bearings with the TV I pulled the main board off to start testing for shorts. I actually started with the original mainboard and did the same check with the replacement board that was installed don the TV. I recently learned (thank you BadCap Vets) to check the coils for shorts on the rails so I proceeded to check ALL inductor coils (3R3, 1R0, 1R5, 1R0A, and 4R7). I also checked all ICs with 8 or less legs on them making note of anyone that had more than 1 leg that was shorted to ground. I marked the ground(s) pins in GREEN according to the pinout. The pins marked in RED are grounded but not labeled as ground.
    I did this for both boards.

To my surprise the replacement board was also in bad shape but not as bad as the original board.

If you look at the picture of the original board you will see the coils which show shorted (red dot). You will also the ICs that I believe are defective or at least connected to the shorted component.

The replacement board reads grounded at the coils at L302, L303, L304 and the 1R0 coil right near the edge of the Heatsink. The adjacent IC12 is a Z3018IP and seems to be shorted to ground on pin 8. That coils reads shorted on the original as well but IC12 on that board seems good (not shorted on pin 8).

Bcos the coils on the replacement board did not show grounded in the lower left hand corner I took this to mean that the readings I got off the adjacent ICs were what they were supposed to be. Meaning the RED labeled PINs I marked on the Original board's ICs are not supposed to be grounded/shorted.

What should my first plan of attach be in tackling these shorts? Should I focus my efforts on the replacement as it 'appears' to have/has fewer number of issues?

I believe I should start by removing ICs to see if the short disappears from the nearby coils. And continue on that patch until all the shorts are eliminated.

I can then pull good ICs from the other board and replace them.
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung UN55HU8550F - No picture, No sound

usually you don't need to remove every ic it can be quite a job, maybe start by checking all those little caps around them, see if any read short, do it for both boards.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
      usually you don't need to remove every ic it can be quite a job, maybe start by checking all those little caps around them, see if any read short, do it for both boards.
      The 3 caps next to the bottom left coil which is shorted all read as shorted but i wasnt sure if they themselves were shorted or it was a component nearby. Your suggesting i lift those caps 1 by 1 to see if they might be the culprit for the short on that rail ?

Comment

sure why not, remove one and test it off the board.

Comment

it can be tough to figure out if one bad cap is making them all read bad or if a bad ic is doing it.

Comment

This is a newer TV so I dont think 1 bad cap is the fault.
            Looking at where the damage is located (around the HDMI ports and RG Coaxial Cable input) im willing to bet it was a victim of a surge which travelled through the cables.
            I may be looking at a series of bad SMDs which is fine as long as its not one of those large microprocessor or memory chips.

Attached is the initial test of the replacement board that came with the TV.
            I described the findings in the first post but didn't have time to annotate the picture.

I will go in and test capacitors to see if there are anymore that are shorted.
            Attached Files

Comment

Last edited by nomoresonys; 01-09-2023, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Attached is the completed testing for short on the replacement board which was on the TV.
                I removed the heatsink (which seems to have been removed already and haphazardly put back in place). Way too many caps are reading shorted around the coils. I bet the original board is in similar shape with regards to the caps. I have no experience in how to troubleshoot this. Anyone care to lend an educated guys on what I should do next?
                Attached Files

Comment

A very low resistance to ground is expected on power rails to processors and memory.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                    A very low resistance to ground is expected on power rails to processors and memory.
                    Very interesting...
                    So I went back and checked their resistance and sure enough the positives were not completely shorted as the continuity test indicated. I get resistance between 80-150Ω.
                    What would you recommend I do now @diff?
                    Last edited by KYBOSH; 01-10-2023, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Making some progress here!

After @diff mentioned that the low resistance I was seeing were probably normal I went back to the TV and decided to look at the T-Con. I put the original board back on as I was not liking the looks of the replacement board. The heat sink had been removed and not put back properly. And there are some discoloration around the BGA chips which could have been a result of over heating or someone trying to reflow the chip.

So I put the orignal mainboard in and started testing the T-Con and it looked good. See attached t-con voltage readings. Bcos I had the TV laying face down I lifted it up so it would stand upright. I disconnected the mains and plugged it back up again and I was greeted with a startup screen! I started playing with the remote and the OSD then the TV became unresponsive. Would not respond to commands from the remote or the joystick on the side. I power cycled it again and got to the OSD but still no response to input.
                      I power cycled it again and this time I got a logo boot loop.

I put to replacement board in and I got nothing.
                      Just a black screen.
                      Not even a boot up logo.

So the replacement board is toast. Likely a victim of overheating. Maybe able to reflow it but I'll try that after everything is done.

The original board maybe suffering from a memory chip issue or something along those lines. I have read on here how a lot of you guys are messing around with reflashing chips which cause boot loops. Could this be my problem?

Should I try to reinstall firmware (if at all possible with the system unresponsive as it is)?

Edit to add:
                      I just checked and there is no official way to update the firmware without going through the TV settings via the OSD.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by KYBOSH; 01-10-2023, 10:05 AM.

Comment

if this tv has buttons on it, try using them instead of remote to change channels etc. if you havent already.

Comment

If you have a backight tester go ahead and test them, your screen is not lit uniformly.

Comment

if this tv has buttons on it, try using them instead of remote to change channels etc. if you havent already.
                            Yes, I tried the joystick on the side of the TV and it was unresponsive.
                            I changed the battery on the remote twice. The remote initially work for a short time. Then I started using the mouse feature (where you move the remote like a wand and the cursor on the screen moves) and it froze after that.

If you have a backight tester go ahead and test them, your screen is not lit uniformly.
                            The backlights definitely look funky but I wondered if I should change them or leave them as is for now. If its purely cosmetic I'll leave it for the last thing. Could they actually be causing the issues with boot up or the non-responsiveness? If so, then I'll definitely get them sorted out. Now I have an excuse to invest in a backlight tester!

The new backlights aren't common here in the States (BN96-30662A and BN96-30663A) so I will need to order them on AliExpress or somewhere.
                            Last edited by KYBOSH; 01-10-2023, 11:40 AM.

Comment

I usually search for a trusted seller on ebay if availabe, cost a little more but you get them a hellovalot faster.
                              Last edited by nomoresonys; 01-10-2023, 11:55 AM.

Comment

for backlight tester, maybe try to get one that shows both volt and current, a quick search brought up this one, not sure if it's a good brand or not tho: https://www.amazon.com/HELYZQ-0-320V...373444&sr=8-62

Comment

I usually search for a trusted seller on ebay if availabe, cost a little more but you get them a hellovalot faster.
                                  Nothing on eBay but used/pulled strips.
                                  Unlikely they tested them for quality.

for backlight tester, maybe try to get one that shows both volt and current, a quick search brought up this one, not sure if it's a good brand or not tho: https://www.amazon.com/HELYZQ-0-320V...373444&sr=8-62
                                  That's the exact one a buddy of mine has.
                                  Thanks for the link but judging from the delivery date (1 month from today) it's likely drop shipping from China anyway.

But from everything Ive seen today the bootloop and non-responsiveness seems to be an issue with a chip or firmware. Replacements for this board are scarce and expensive. What can I do or who can I turn to for help with this? I am completely unfamiliar with the art of writing BIOS and Firmwares to chips.

Comment

ok, didn't look real close at the ad, prolly more there or ebay with them already located here, for a few dollars more of course.

Comment

another there, I might have grabbed that one if I didnt already have one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/20266077752...Bk9SR6T1htCzYQ

Comment

I have to is tv and the tcon went bad on it. Sometimes that fan doesn’t work properly and it overheats. There is a heat sink silicon pad for the tcon also. Make sure that there since the previous owner has messed with it.

That will cause it to overheat also.

Though my backlights don’t look that bad. If you unplug the main board from the power board and plug tv in that will let you know is if the backlights are good or not though. Lastly I didn’t have issues with the buttons/ remote either.

Comment

Working...
                                        X