X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung LN46C630K1F – Intermittent Backlight, BN44-00341B Power Board

Samsung LN46C630K1F – Intermittent Backlight, BN44-00341B Power Board

Summary for TL-DR readers:
    • Backlight is intermittent, may come on with TV boot or not. No flickering, never fails during TV on.
    • Have obtained Samsung schematic & service documents - Can upload if helpful.
    • Have read ALL applicable threads
    • C1818 and CP820 replaced as low hanging fruit
    • CN802 data taken for normal and failed BL operation. SUMMARY: Pin 2 - 5vDet = 3.52 @normal, 0.0 @BL fail. Pin 6 - EPWM = 1.631 @normal, 1.058 @BL fail.
    • VCC pin (18) of PFC ICP801 is 5.17 & Vin (Pin 1) is 11.03 when the BL is lit, no failed data yet.
    • VCaps CP802/803 = 385V @BL on, 149.9V @fail BL, ~159 @TV off
    • Transformer “T1802S White” squeals during boot, shorter time when BL fails.
    • Voltage across C1842 = .599V when the BL fails. Under voltage lockout?

The rest of the story:

To set a baseline, I have read all the BN44-00341B and LN46C630K1F threads, obtained the circuit diagram for BN44-00341B, obtained the Samsung Fast Track Troubleshooting Manual and Samsung (Service) Training Manual for the TV, the latter two from Elektrotanya BTW.

Symptoms: In normal use, the backlight may fail to come on when the TV is started. It can repeat for numerous re-starts, this is the detail of the problem I started with so I dug in and started to troubleshoot. The rest of the TV works (sound etc.).

On bench test sometimes the backlight will fail several times in a row then work. It can (only) sometimes be provoked to fail by unplugging while the TV is on and plugging back in. If the TV has been unplugged while on it starts up (boots) on its own when the plug is inserted.

On the bench it may not fail for many repeats of re-start which is maddening when you want to take some data while the backlight is failed!

I read about the C1818 and CP820 failures so even though they didn’t look failed I took an initial grab for low hanging fruit and replaced them, OK for a while but the BL failed to light again a few days later – basically back to the same symptoms proving that the caps were not failed. That led to a thorough reading of all the applicable threads and where I am today.

I have read BUDM’s comments about drift of the four 1.5M SMT resistor chain (RP 802, 805, 807, 810) so they are suspects but by his comments I would expect lower CP803/803 voltage. At caps CP802/803 I get 385 V when the BL is on and when it fails to light I get ~159V. At rest, TV off, the voltage is about 149V. BUDM calls for 390V but is 385V close enough?

Of note, when the BL fails to light, the voltage at CP802/803 drops to zero then jumps to ~350V then drops to ~159V. Under normal operation the Cap Voltage is resting between 385 & 149 and simply rises to 385 when the TV boots. I have obtained that data using a Fluke 77 and an older analog meter.

I have read about the JP852 jumper cutting and appreciate the wisdom expressed by BUDM of not cutting that component.

Since the TV works normally one can assume that both fuses on the board are not blown. I have checked though.

I should mention here that I’m not trained in electronics so I’m not in a place to do in depth analysis of the function of the board but I do have a rudimentary understanding of e.g. transistor basics. I’m confident of taking data and reasonably confident of component replacement (re-capped numerous assemblies) but shy on SMT experience. I do however have a hot air re-work station and several irons to choose from and given the choice of scrapping the TV, buying a new board or undertaking repairs, there’s little to lose by having a go at the board. I’m reasonably confident that I could replace the RP 802, 805, 807, 810 components if it came to that but close spaced 0603 might be a bit much.

As is customarily requested, I have taken data at the CN802 connector for normal and failed operation, that is below. Anomalies highlighted in bold:

Voltages on cable from PSU to mainboard, CN802

PIN ID - Normal - BL Failed
    Pin 1 - B13v - 12.68 - 12.67
    Pin 2 - 5vDet - 3.52 - 0.0
    Pin 3 - B13v - 12.67 - 12.68
    Pin 4 – BluOn - 5.06 - 5.05
    Pin 5 - B13v - 12.67 - 12.68
    Pin 6 – EPWM - 1.631 - 1.058
    Pin 7 – Ground - 0.0 - 0.0
    Pin 8 – Hsync - 1.67 - 1.665
    Pin 9 – Ground - 0.0 - 0.0
    Pin 10 – Ground - 0.0 - 0.0
    Pin 11 - B5v - 5.10 - 5.10
    Pin 12 – Ground - 0.0 - 0.0
    Pin 13 - B5v - 5.10 - 5.10
    Pin 14 - B5v - 5.10 - 5.10
    Pin 15 - B13v - 12.66 - 12.68
    Pin 16 - A5v - 5.13 - 5.13
    Pin 17 - B13v - 12.66 - 12.68
    Pin 18 – PSON - 0.877 - .862

VCaps CP802/803 - 385 -149.9
    Oh, that's fussy, the forum software blew away the nice formatting I did on the table, LOL!

Notes and additional measurements:

Some have noted that Pin 18 PSON fluctuates between 2.5 & .72V, my voltage does NOT fluctuate.

Transformer T1802S White seems to squeal quietly as the TV boots, the squeal is shorter when the BL fails.

Voltage at VCC pin (18) of PFC ICP801 is 5.17 & Vin (Pin 1) is 11.03 when the BL is lit. No readings yet of when the BL fails, I did mention is sometimes and annoyingly fails to fail when you want it to…….

TOM66 asked a poster for the voltage across C1842, for me it is .599V when the BL fails. Tom66 said that would indicate a shutdown due to “under voltage lockout”. Would this be related to drifting of the (RP 802, 805, 807, 810) resistor chain BUDM has referenced? If so, the fix there seems obvious, replace the (RP 802, 805, 807, 810) resistor chain……. Does the resistance of that chain drift down or up with time? What about temperature? If that’s the case perhaps I can induce resistance change by altering temperature?

The last observations I have relate to the troubleshooting section of the Samsung (Service) training manual. To diagnose “No Power”, Samsung recommends checking voltage levels of several components, in my case none varied in voltage whether the BL failed or not. I read the check list to be looking for the case of a dead, no function unit although they do mention removing the 18p cable to force the BL on so there is an ambiguity. The checks they ask for are:

BD202
    BD201
    BD208
    BD205
    Pin3 of IC 207 (Seems to expect 3.3V), I have ~5.15 irrespective of BL status.
    L201
    L202
    L204
    L203

This checklist determines which PC Board to replace. I don’t think we learned anything from it.

Regarding my photos, they're ugly but it's a well known board so I chose to show my board vs re-posting things like shopjimmy images that show it clearly but are already here. Let me know if it's not good enough. I can also post the manuals I mentioned if they are useful to anyone.

So, where to from here?

Is the potential drift attributed to (RP 802, 805, 807, 810) resistor chain a realistic failure cause? Would the drift be higher or lower and would heating or cooling the chain provide useful information? What about the “under voltage lockout” suggested by Tom66? Is that related?

Given the intermittent nature of the BL fail, are any of the components "soft" such that they will go from working to not and return? I'm thinking of semiconductors more so than the resistor chain for example. Just a thought.

Any other areas to investigate? I’d hate to have to toss this thing out for want of a couple of components replaced. Cost, sustainability and all that!

Many thanks to those who have gone before me and to a couple of the very experienced and knowledgeable posters who have been following this from the beginning many years ago, your contributions are highly valued!

C152Heavy
    Attached Files
    Last edited by C152Heavy; 01-11-2023, 03:28 PM.

Re: Samsung LN46C630K1F – Intermittent Backlight, BN44-00341B Power Board

you probably already did the simple test of unhooking cable from powerboard to mainboard, plug power cord in and see if backlights come on and stay on.

Comment

check the solder joints on that transformer, look over all joints on board very closely, go over any that seem suspect or wiggle, example of bad joints there for any who need: https://www.google.com/search?q=bad+...ih=607&dpr=1.5
      Last edited by nomoresonys; 01-11-2023, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
        check the solder joints on that transformer, look over all joints on board very closely, go over any that seem suspect or wiggle, example of bad joints there for any who need: https://www.google.com/search?q=bad+...ih=607&dpr=1.5
        Thanks for your quick response!

I don't see any joints that are holding their hand up saying they are bad, they look pretty good (magnified lamp). Good thought though.

Would low voltage there be picked up by the V_SNS of IC1801 and shut down the drive to those transformers?

BTW, the low level squeal I hear, would that be normal as the BL is being established to run or is that an anomaly.

WRT the cable off, I did check (BL starts) but with the BL being intermittent that might not catch it anyhow?

Thanks,

C152Heavy

Comment

not sure, you may have a similar issue to this video, maybe ohm check all your mini transformers on the inverter board/s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh01ZepjDp0

Comment

another good video there on testing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE6K4xBVweA

good advice for anyone looking on who may not be aware, HEED THE 1000 VOLT WARNING, THAT VOLTAGE CAN KILL VERY QUICKLY.

Comment

intermittent is tough, suppose it could be bad capacitor/s, old trick, heat up the electrolytic caps right by the connector for a couple minutes with a hairdryer, then try it while theyre still hot, see if tv comes on or stays on longer, no joy heat the rest of the caps including the ceramic ones, still no change heat the whole board with hairdryer.

Comment

your reading on 18 seems strange, I always thought and BudM always said if I recall correctly, ps-on 2.5volts and up=backlight on, less than that=backlight off, bl-on signal comes from mainboard.
                Last edited by nomoresonys; 01-11-2023, 04:48 PM.

Comment

maybe also inspect the cable from powerboard to mainboard, recently had one wire burnt on that cable was pretty tricky to find, guess you really could just check the ps-on wire in that cable for continuity.

Comment

On old plasmas you should touch up any solder joint you have access to as a matter of course. Whether they look good or not. Especially the transformer.
                    Last edited by KYBOSH; 01-11-2023, 06:31 PM.

Comment

your reading on 18 seems strange, I always thought and BudM always said if I recall correctly, ps-on 2.5volts and up=backlight on, less than that=backlight off, bl-on signal comes from mainboard.
                      Thanks again, I'll address your series of messages here.

The videos on the transformers are another interesting lead to follow, thanks I'll think on that a bit now. Hard to proof a diagnosis if the TV continues to be intermittent and fickle when you want to see it fail under test!

Pin 18 on the cable is puzzling, I saw Budm's comment but I also saw another posting that had the value I got and that's while the TV is running correctly. Maybe the jury is still out on that one.

I'll go back and over the cable too just to be thorough.

Thanks,

C152Heavy

Comment

Originally posted by KYBOSH View Post
                        On old plasmas you should touch up an solder joint you have access to as a matter of course. Whether they look good or not. Especially the transformer.
                        I've run into suspicious joints on another Samsung transformer so there could be something to that.

Cutting down the weeds one at a time to find out what's in the yard!

Thanks,

C152Heavy

Comment

The Power on/off (pin18) should be 5v to turn on the power supply. Disconnect the main board from the power supply and this pin should be at 5v

Comment

ah ok 5v on this one, I thought that reading was strange.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                              The Power on/off (pin18) should be 5v to turn on the power supply. Disconnect the main board from the power supply and this pin should be at 5v
                              Got a chance to get back to this, this evening. Pin 18 (PSON) measures 5.15V at the P Supply board with the cable disconnected and then the TV plugged in (BL on by default function).

Just so I understand, from your statement above you're saying that the P Supply board sends this signal to the Main board to turn on the PWR supply? I'm not following, shouldn't the main board command the P Supply to turn on or is it the P Supply board telling the Main board that the P Sup board has turned on? Not critical to the troubleshooting but curious minds ask questions.

Does the main board do something to reduce the voltage once the BL is activated (or fails since I measure ~.86V in both modes)? Why else would the PSON signal become .86V?

OK, the ribbon cable between the main & P Sup boards, I examined it and measured point to point on pin 18 and there are no apparent faults.

Thanks folks for your inputs!

C152Heavy

Comment

The PSON pin is pulled high (5v) by the pullup resistor RM833 on the popwer supply. The main board actually holds the pson pin LOW to turn off the tv (standby) the main board is what controls this pin

Got a chance to get back to this, this evening. Pin 18 (PSON) measures 5.15V at the P Supply board with the cable disconnected and then the TV plugged in (BL on by default function).
                                So according to this the backlights ARE working, correct?
                                If the backlights have a problem, they can send a signal to the LAMP_DET line

You may have a bad ccfl or there may be a bad connection on the high voltage distribution board in the panel.
                                Last edited by R_J; 01-11-2023, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                                  The PSON pin is pulled high (5v) by the pullup resistor RM833 on the popwer supply. The main board actually holds the pson pin LOW to turn off the tv (standby) the main board is what controls this pin

So according to this the backlights ARE working, correct?
                                  If the backlights have a problem, they can send a signal to the LAMP_DET line

You may have a bad ccfl or there may be a bad connection on the high voltage distribution board in the panel.
                                  The backlight is generally working but fails to light on boot on occasion. It has never just quit while the TV was on.

My CN802 measurement table shows the values with both normal operation and BL fail. Pin 18 shows .877V with the back light lit and .862V with it failed.

I had a quick look at the distribution board this evening, no apparent problems but that was just a quick visual.

Thanks,

C152Heavy

Comment

still wondering if its just a marginal capacitor, did you try the test in post #7.

Comment

still wondering if its just a marginal capacitor, did you try the test in post #7.
                                      Actually, I replaced all electrolytics except CM 805, 813, 815, 818, 819, those are on tap for arrival of a shipment from Digikey that I'm looking for at the first of the week. Finger trouble got in the way of those in the first round.....

I was also thinking of caps when I mentioned potential "soft" components that would have reason to vary over time and interfere with operation.

C152Heavy
                                      Last edited by C152Heavy; 01-12-2023, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Update:

The TV has been on the bench since last post. I have made the measurements suggested in the two Youtube videos with no apparent anomalies. The voltages measured were consistent from transformer to transformer although different values from the videos posted.

I am convinced that the transformers and CCFLs are not the problem for one clear reason, the TV does NOT shut down as would happen if the protection circuit was activated. That was shown in this video, one of two suggested above for troubleshooting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh01ZepjDp0

On that basis and the fact that the backlight has not been run at a high brightness value from new I conclude the problem is elsewhere.

OK, where? Well that's unclear but it is NOT the electrolytic caps, all have been replaced with new from Digikey, mostly Panasonic.

After having this thing open on the bench for an extended period and not being able to provoke the back light to fail through all the transformer etc. testing, I decided to put it all back together and put it back in service to gather more data. After putting it back together and before putting it back in service I tried it on the bench to make sure it worked and the back light failed - once, the first time I turned it on! I couldn't make it fail again so now the TV is back in service for a couple of days with no failures.

So, any more thoughts or things to test?

Thanks,

C152Heavy

Comment

Working...
                                        X