Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB type C as charging port on laptops

Hi guys.
    I wanted to purchase HP Elite x2 1012 G2 laptop but I saw that the charging port is type C and I remember Mr.Sorin from electronicsrepair on yt telling that the worse charging port for laptops is type C and on other channels I saw that they mostly fail especially HP Spectre X360, so I assume I should avoid laptops with type C charging port (dunno why) or it just depends on model?
    He mentioned that laptop fail because of that port,and simply become dead,and most of the models fail because of that port.

Re: USB type C as charging port on laptops

Yep he’s right. It was a really dumb design decision.

In all laptops, charging failures are the most common, and usually it’s replacement of a DC Jack that’s quickly replaceable and under $20. As most people I know in the industry aren’t electronic techs that’s doable for them.

USB C however uses 20 pin ports soldered on the board with connectors that easily damaged. As soon as a user has a charge fault they ALL wiggle the cable vigorously. This usually results in broken traces on the board needing jumpers etc, or one of the USB C IC is damaged, usually BGA and over $20 each. How is this a step forward?

Coupled with that, if you send your lappie to HP for repair they don’t fix this at the board level, they change the whole motherboard. So you go from a $20 repair to maybe $400 or more for a charging fault! This is design obsolescence for sure and a totally dumb decision by the OEMs. So most laptops get written off as a result by their owners.

I tell all customers to avoid these laptops like the plague.

Comment

Let's say like that: If you're aware of the possible issues, you can minimize the risk. Although I don't think this type of charging port is a good idea too, I wouldn't decline to use it, if the pros of the device predominate.
      FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

So they all potentially fail?
        No matter which model?
        So not to buy above one?
        But why do they fail, someone explain me technically?
        I think they stop charging battery or either don't turn on.

Comment

the port is not the best decision, that's for sure. but if you let the device sit and the ac adapter is plugged in, it should be ok :>. the multi functionality of type c ports is not important for 99 % of the users nor is it useful. but nevertheless, we have no or less choice :p

Comment

I have ordered the laptop.wth!
            So what precautions to make?
            Keep it all the time to AC with adapter?
            How to prolong it's life so I don't end up with issues?

Comment

Originally posted by paparazzo79 View Post
              I have ordered the laptop.wth!
              So what precautions to make?
              Keep it all the time to AC with adapter?
              How to prolong it's life so I don't end up with issues?
              that was ironic. just use the notebook like everyone else and care about dirt in the port, don't bent it, carefully plug and unplug it. use genuine charger only etc.

Comment

If I can add, it is indeed practical because when I need to charge my phone, I just unplug charger from laptop and use it. So,... there are some positive sides too

But again, not all laptops are designed the same. Some are worse than others, without metal plates over the USB C ports so they die much sooner.

Comment

Since I'm mindful of the weakness of the USB C connectors, I take care inserting cables into them. However, the bulk of the people out there are quite rough with laptops in general, insert the plugs at any angle, and wiggle the crap out of it when it doesn't work. Look after it and you should be ok.

USB-C is a small connector with very little strain relief, unlike bigger 5.5mm jacks, so often create a headache with torn pads on the board when you go to replace them. If they were on a seperate daughter board that was only a few bucks, then that's a different story.

As I said, the OEM's don't care about any of this as they wouldn't replace the connector anyway at a service centre. They will just replace the entire board. And this is where the customer will often write it off, rather than fixing it.

Comment

Fully agree with the views expressed here about USB-C ports. Some laptops do have usb-C as well as regular DC jack as power in option-so that may be a better choice.

Comment

Working...
                    X