VIORE PDP4210EA Plasma TV 42 inch - No Video on DVI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VIORE PDP4210EA Plasma TV 42 inch - No Video on DVI

Got my hands on an relatively unknown TV brand about two weeks ago.
    I certainly hadn't heard of it before.
    Previous owner didn't give a description of what was wrong and when I got it the back cover was already off.
    I put it on the back burner until I had so spare time to look it over.

Today was that day.
    I plugged it in and was surprised to see that it started up without any issues.
    This is an older TV and the most modern video input that it has is DVI.
    I was scrambling to find a DVI connector or adapter as I haven't fooled with that format in quite some time.
    Eventually I found a DVI to RG232 adapter from an old apple computer I had laying around.
    I connected it and found that it did indeed received video signal via the RS232 port.

Excellent! So what was wrong with the TV??
    After more digging I then found a DVI to DVI cable and tried the same thing but there was NO signal detected.
    I used a car backup camera with an S-Video connection to confirm that the composite inputs worked as well.
    So it seems that the DVI port was not working and the previous owner decided to get rid of it.

Looking over the TV I was sort of impressed with its build quality (for a brand that I have never heard of).
    I discovered through some stickers that the panel was actually manufactured by LG.
    The capacitors are all puffed out at the top and would need to all be replaced.

While this TV is built solid and could last another 30 years I just want to use it to practice my troubleshooting and repair skills on it and then possibly harvest it for parts.
    It is VERY heavy (32kg or 75lbs) for a 42" TV and coupled with the fact that it has no modern inputs it wouldn't be much use in today's world (someone please correct me if I am wrong on this).

I haven't tested any components yet and simply took photos for you all's viewing pleasure.

So where should I start troubleshooting the DVI port issue?
    Attached Files

Re: VIORE PDP4210EA Plasma TV 42 inch - No Video on DVI

so what is the dvi connected
    device you are trying to hook up, a pc?

Comment

if you don't have a dvi input but hdmi on a device you can use a dvi to hdmi adapter if you have one.

Comment

examples there in case anyone looking wants to see some: https://www.ebay.com.sg/sch/i.html?_...&rt=nc&LH_FS=1

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
          so what is the dvi connected
          device you are trying to hook up, a pc?
          Yes. One of the apple Mac mini I have has DVI output.

When I use it with modern devices I use a DVI to HDMI cable.
          But when I connected it to the TV via a regular DVI cable there was no indication that the TV was seeing a signal input.
          When I used a DVI to RS232 adapter there was acknowledgment that the signal was present and I saw the boot screen pop up

I could try the DVI to HDMI cable and connect it to a Raspberry Pi (with HDMI output). This would confirm that the DVI sources are not being recognized by the TV but Im pretty sure this is the case.
          Attached Files

Comment

sure maybe try that, have you verified the dvi to dvi cable lately?

Comment

What resolution is the Mac outputting?
              I feel it was ditched as its a high power, low resolution behemoth.
              Last edited by diif; 01-28-2023, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Sad news today. As i was pulling this set out to answer @nomoresonys' question about the worthiness of the DVI cable the TV slipped and fell on its face cracking the glass display.

Very disappointing that i wont have a chance to figure the input issue. And im also disappointed that my carelessness was the cause of this TV's demise. It made it 20 years without a scratch until i came along.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by KYBOSH; 02-02-2023, 04:49 PM.

Comment

nomoresonys fault ....LOL ???? so dont ask again

Comment

Originally posted by Diah View Post
                    nomoresonys fault ....LOL ???? so dont ask again
                    Totally that guys fault!

But one good thing came of it...i discovered it had parts that i needed to complete another repair! Dont have to order from AliExpress and wonder if the chips are real or not!

Im going to keep a bin of boards from dead TVs. Back in the day i would desolder all compnents from the board and store/catelog them. It helped me know my way around a PCB. Now i starting to think the best place to keep reclaimed components is the very board it resides on. Looks unsightly next to my work station but gets the job done.

Comment

Well crap, now I've killed another plasma, ok I'll own it, death to all plasmas.

Comment

Working...
                      X