Reflow for PowerColor R7 260X 2gb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reflow for PowerColor R7 260X 2gb?

Has anyone tried reflow on this graphics card? We have problems with corrosion here and a lot of the solder points look suspicious to me. The capacitor pins look like they are sitting in craters, the board solder looks almost detached.

The card had been going downhill since I bought the system. HDMI worked for over 8 months then quit but found that DVI still worked so used that with a vga adapter for another 6 months of so. Then card would power up but no video output from anything.

I was going through various postponed projects when I did the inspection on the card and noticed nearly all solder points looked weak. I though I would ask before I try to find a heat gun or do them one by one with solder iron.
    Thanks,
    Bill

Re: Reflow for PowerColor R7 260X 2gb?

Can you post some pictures of the suspect areas
    All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

I apologize for the poor image, it's hard to hold card, magnifier, and push buttons. Hope fully you can see the suspicious looking solder points. It looks as if the pins corroded and separated slightly from the solder. Considering nearly all of them look this way, I really think it has something to do with the gradual degrading of the card's output. I was hoping that by reflowing the solder, it might clear some of the corrosion and improve the contact.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or suggestions.

Bill
      Attached Files
      Last edited by DixiePenguin; 09-05-2020, 09:32 AM. Reason: FOrgot the image.

Comment

The image is poor,it looks like the capacitor end caps have suffered from some corrosion. If you`re going to do any work on it i`d suggest you get a USB scope,they`re quite cheap.

EDIT: I meant a USB microscope .
        Last edited by SMDFlea; 09-08-2020, 08:48 AM.
        All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Yeah, I can't tell anything about the solder joints from that blurry picture. But those look like joints to caps and/or VRM inductors.

I'm not convinced the problem is with the corrosion, though that certainly is not good for the card too. I suspect the gradual "dying off" is likely the GPU chip just starting to fail, which from what I see from online shopping searches, is quite common with HD7k, R7/R9, and RX 400 and 500 series of cards.

If the card has VGA (analog output), try that too. I've seen older ATI cards with messed up digital inputs but working analog and vice-versa. Typically that's a failing GPU too.

If you do ever get your card to boot again, check its temperatures while under load. Try to stay under 50-52C on the core (which can be quite challenging in a country with hot weather.)

Comment

Working...
          X