X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Win7 updates for upgrading to Win10

Originally posted by lti View Post
    I had the same experience with Windows 7 and the same amount of RAM.
    The difference is that in Windows7 you can disable auto updates and you will never see constant 50% CPU, 100% HDD usage.
    And 50% means 1 core fully utilized(100% core 0) with god knows what, slowing down the whole machine.
    How can you have 50% CPU, 100% HDD on a machine that is doing almost nothing?
    Last edited by televizora; 11-26-2020, 02:33 PM.
    Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
    1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Originally posted by televizora View Post
      The difference is that in Windows7 you can disable auto updates and you will never see constant 50% CPU, 100% HDD usage.
      And 50% means 1 core fully utilized(100% core 0) with god knows what, slowing down the whole machine.
      How can you have 50% CPU, 100% HDD on a machine that is doing almost nothing?
      You can disable it with Pro with GPEDIT. Not sure about home. I think it can be disabled using 'shutup 10'....but anytime I set up a 10 system for a customer, it's always pro.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
        You can disable it with Pro with GPEDIT.
        Well, gpedit options are limited to "notify before download and install". One click, and the updates start. The problem with GPEDIT is that contrary to the registry it's not easy to "export policy". This does not apply for domain connected computers, of course.
        Last edited by televizora; 11-27-2020, 10:02 AM.
        Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
        1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Originally posted by televizora View Post
          Well, gpedit options are limited to "notify before download and install". One click, and the updates start. The problem with GPEDIT is that contrary to the registry it's not easy to "export policy". This does not apply for domain connected computers, of course.
          Local Computer Policy -> Comupter Config -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update

'Do not connect to any Windows Update Internet locations' -> enable
          'Remove access to all Windows Update features' -> enable

Then:

Local Computer Policy -> Comupter Config -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Internet Communication Settings

'Turn off access to all Windows Update features' -> enable

Then run shutup 10 and disable all.

After that, windows update is done and 10 remains silent; doesn't download anything, doesn't ask about anything. There's a little more gpedit tweaking for other things, but above will kill windows update on Pro.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

After that, windows update is done and 10 remains silent; doesn't download anything, doesn't ask about anything. There's a little more gpedit tweaking for other things, but above will kill windows update on Pro.
            Thanks. Seems like I somehow missed this information. I also found the source
            https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...as-wu-settings
            Last edited by televizora; 11-27-2020, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Actually with pro, you can disable optional updates, but security updates are still go
              Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
              ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Hello, thank you for this information, my computer, unfortunately, does not have the KB3035583 update installed, but I will download it because the more update, the better it is, but I don't know why it did not install because it does not detect it
                silent is gold.

Comment

I remember an update removing KB3035583 after the "free upgrade to Windows 10" period ended.

I wonder how long it will be before there is a "Get Windows 11" update.

Comment

If you have an older machine, you're shielded from the updates (due to their draconian requirements)?

I just filled my windows partition with a disk image used for Linux. It sure won't be downloading anything...

Comment

Originally posted by BennyPeterson
                      I tried using Windows 11, but it had quite a few problems and it kept me updating quite a bit. Is there a way to fix it so it doesn't update automatically?
                      Do you have Windows 11 home or pro?

With home you can only postpone updates for a period of time (up to 5 weeks) at least officially, with pro you can disable them through group policy. There are also a few "unofficial" (use these at your own risk as Microsoft does not support them) ways of preventing updates by disabling the windows update service or editing the registry.

https://www.minitool.com/data-recove...11-update.html

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-s...tes-windows-11

Comment

Is something ended? This is a Fujitsu P510 with Win7 (dell oem) in it, upgraded to Win10 like all of my computers. P520 and P556 (which are newer) worked today. It says "no key found from this machine". Other 5 are working but installed ~2 years ago.
                        Stupid facebook said this pic is a violation of copyright and censored it.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenon-Codex View Post
                          Is something ended? This is a Fujitsu P510 with Win7 (dell oem) in it, upgraded to Win10 like all of my computers. P520 and P556 (which are newer) worked today. It says "no key found from this machine". Other 5 are working but installed ~2 years ago.
                          Stupid facebook said this pic is a violation of copyright and censored it.
                          M$ stopped giving out digital upgrade licenses for WIn7/8 quite some time ago. You either have to buy a key or use some more 'creative' methods.
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

M$ stopped giving out digital upgrade licenses for WIn7/8 quite some time ago. You either have to buy a key or use some more 'creative' methods.
                            How it's possible that the three other Win10's activated today like years ago? The Dell disc has mysteriously always activate the 10 after upgrade...
                            Last edited by Xenon-Codex; 04-20-2024, 01:19 PM.

Comment

How it's possible that the three other Win10's activated today like years ago?
                              ...because M$ 'fingerprinted' (HWID) them when they were giving out free upgrades....so they will continue to activate.
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

...because M$ 'fingerprinted' (HWID) them when they were giving out free upgrades....so they will continue to activate.
                                ^This, if the system (motherboard) was previously updated to windows 10 before the cutoff it will continue to activate. But if it wasn't a windows 7/8 key will no longer activate windows 10/11 (at least through "official" channels). OEM keys can be gotten pretty cheaply ($15-$20), but they will be tied to the hardware once activated (an OEM key not sold with hardware is also technically a EULA violation, but at least so far Microsoft doesn't enforce this). Of course, there are also always the more "creative" methods if you're not concerned about being "genuine/official", and even an un-activated copy works for the most part (aside from the annoying watermark and some settings locked).

Comment

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post

^This, if the system (motherboard) was previously updated to windows 10 before the cutoff it will continue to activate. But if it wasn't a windows 7/8 key will no longer activate windows 10/11 (at least through "official" channels). OEM keys can be gotten pretty cheaply ($15-$20), but they will be tied to the hardware once activated (an OEM key not sold with hardware is also technically a EULA violation, but at least so far Microsoft doesn't enforce this). Of course, there are also always the more "creative" methods if you're not concerned about being "genuine/official", and even an un-activated copy works for the most part (aside from the annoying watermark and some settings locked).
                                  That's what I thought. This particular machine is not going to be Win10, but I have over 10 MoBo's+ SSD's with installed Win10 for spare.
                                  What is the digital license? Something which can be unplugged in the year 2525 by turning of the (stupid) cloud system?

Comment

What is the digital license? Something which can be unplugged in the year 2525 by turning of the (stupid) cloud system?
                                    The same system is in use since Windows XP: it requires online activation.
                                    AFAIK the activation for XP no longer works, so in time the same will happen here.
                                    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                                      AFAIK the activation for XP no longer works, so in time the same will happen here.
                                      The online activation system for XP (as well as vista and now 7) shutdown a long time ago, but at least in the US the phone based (as well as the app they'll send you a link for if you call from a smart phone and consent to using the app when the IVR prompts) "challenge code" activation still works.

It will likely be more "interesting" for windows 8 and newer though since most systems only have a "digital license" and no physical key like XP/Vista/7, this is the case for any OEM system with windows pre-installed as well as anything upgraded from a Windows 7 key (since when you upgraded back before the stopped allowing it a "digital license" was generated from the HWID), so if/when they shut down the activation servers I'm not sure if there will be any "workarounds" for activation (at least legitimate ones).

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                                        It does not work anymore; SSH2 marked the end of activating XP online. I think you can still by phone.....but don't hold me to that; they may have killed that by now as well. I have a corporate edition, no activation required.... The 'loader' will keep 7 eternally activated. 10 and up, I don't know.
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

Hi TC. Been a while since I posted here. Lurking mostly.

So, by "creative" methods do you mean activating Windows 10 using a Windows 7 or 8 product keys? I've read that you can use an older Windows 10 installer like Build 1607 or Build 1703 which still gives the option to type a product key for activation then use a Windows 7 or 8.1. key to activate and once done just upgrade it to a latest Windows 10 build. At least this is what I've read in the interwebz.
                                          CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
                                          GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti / GTS 450

Main Driver: Intel i7 3770 | Asus P8H61-MX | MSI GTS 450 | 8GB of NO NAME DDR3 RAM (2x4GB) | 1TB SATA HDD (W.D. Blue) | ASUS DVD-RW | 22" HP Compaq LE2202x (1920x1080) | Seasonic S12II-620 PSU | Antec 300 | Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1

Comment

Working...
                                          X