Thorn 65thl4kst1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thorn 65thl4kst1

yes a hot iron will remove them, just be careful not to be forceful, when they are up to temp they will move easily from the board, some use 2 irons.

Comment

this is what i think i would do, test the "edge boards" on the broken screen tv, see if you get different readings than you are getting on the unbroken screen tv, it may be a lesser evil to try putting the good screen on the broken screen tv BUT it is a big screen and the bigger the screen the easier it is to break it in the process, then it's game over, suction cups are a good tool for that, but either way it might not be an easy fix. Check youtube for screen changing and see what you think.
      Last edited by nomoresonys; 05-18-2022, 08:08 PM.

Comment

maybe check first if both panels are the same by checking the white stickers, located somewhere on the tv back chassis.

Comment

you could also see if you get the same readings that you got in post #127, on the other "edge boards" of the broken screen tv.

Comment

Thank you...that video and his explanation is a terrific guide, and he narrates it clearly.

In the sense that he used a milliohm meter(spelling?), can anything similar be achieved via a multimeter?

When he removed the offending cap, and the set was still working without it, what would have happened if he simply did not replace it...would one of the others eventually shorted out?

I am guessing the milliohm testing is simply done with power unplugged and checking both sides of the cap, just the same way you asked me to do the diode method?

Is a milliohm meter now needed?

Thanks
            Signature:Seemingly hopeless tv fixer

Comment

I just took off the back of the broken screen one, and it has exactly the same part numbers. Everything works, albeit the internal screen is cactus.

When you say "it may be a lesser evil to try putting the good screen on the broken screen tv", isn't the same problem going to exist on swap out, because the edge boards will still be faulty? The edge boards are not swappable, as they are bonded to the screen, as far as I know. I wish it were simple to just change the edge boards.
              Last edited by viewerau; 05-18-2022, 11:05 PM.

Comment

oh shit, you're right, can't change the screen, had a brain bubble there.
                Last edited by nomoresonys; 05-19-2022, 05:19 AM.

Comment

yes test the same way tv unplugged from power, ALL ohm checking is done unpowered, I would keep the tv with the broken screen edge boards unhooked from tcon, just in case the screen break might short something out on the good parts, don't forget to do the same test as in post #132, and go ahead and test them as you did in post #127, It might help narrow down the problem component. So the one test is in diode mode and the other is in ohm mode.

Comment

Thank you .I think I have been trying to use my brain a little bit better this time

Far be it from me, as I am a very fragile learner, but to me it seems the manufacturers really don't seem to care much for the technicians that carry out repairs in the field The idea that all of them seem to make it that these edge boards are not able to be swapped out like
                    they make other boards easily exchanged seems ludicrous.Rather than permanently bonding the edge boards to the cof strips, why couldn't they use the same connectors they do with all the other signal connections?

It is a similar situation with components like the smd's I am trying to measure, why don't component manufacturers make a replacement component that can piggy back onto an existing short one, to take it's place, even clip on to negate soldering?

Again, I know I am a newbie, out of my depth somewhat, but maybe looking at things with different eyes in this field may be beneficial?

I guess the only option I have now, is to have both TV's side by side and try to get a comparison reading on each edge board smd's, and try to find any that differ. The only problem I see here is, from some looking today, is as I put the prong on the end of them, the Meter quickly jumps from one reading and then seems to drain to a lower reading. Should I be concentrating on the quick initial figure or the final reading.

It seems to me that I could not have found a worse area on the whole tv to find a problem area like this one

Again, thanks for your support.. it means a lot to me.
                    Last edited by viewerau; 05-19-2022, 06:41 AM.

Comment

I think these tvs are made with some technical wizardry that's way beyond my understanding but they also seem to have a lot of weaknesses, I think such as shorted panels weather in the panel itself or component/s on the buffer/edge boards. Plus the overdriven backlights, which the manufacturers probably do on purpose, so they will burn out and they stupidly hope you will buy the same brand from them again.
                      Last edited by nomoresonys; 05-19-2022, 07:01 AM.

Comment

good video here, this guy knows his stuff and is a very good teacher, imo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5JXm9jgLp8

Comment

The last video good too, however, when he was initially measuring the components using his test circuit on the paper, I found it difficult to really see that the item was short. He showed three components, and from top to bottom, the readings were 2.72/2.55/3.55. As they all measured differently, I still don't see it as easy, like he had, to determine it was the 2.55 one that was faulty...your thoughts.

I have made up my own little diagram for both sets of edge boards, and will do the comparison readings now...albeit, I still wonder about the readings shifting everywhere from first putting the meter prongs on, reading that, and then they fluctuate.

Comment

Well, I was only able to get around today, to be able to do the comparison on my tv, of the edge board readings.

They were done by placing the black probe to the chassis, and the red probe tried to each side of the component.

I am yet to dismantle down to the edge boards on the broken screen one, and think it may be a waste, in that I cannot transfer those boards anyway. I am still stumped with the stupidity, that edge boards, which are probably one of the smaller boards on an lcd television, are irreplaceable, without owning a bonding machine.

It is all very frustrating.

When I disconnected the signal cables that run from the t-con board to the edge boards, no readings were gained at all. The only time readings occured were with all strips and boards connected.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by viewerau; 05-20-2022, 02:29 AM.

Comment

You don't need to swap the boards just the faulty capacitors which is far easier and cheaper. you need to move your ground probe to the edge board and then test with the cables disconnected.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                                You don't need to swap the boards just the faulty capacitors which is far easier and cheaper. you need to move your ground probe to the edge board and then test with the cables disconnected.
                                Thanks diif....I have been following instructions from those here that have been reading my story for a while....thus the method.

If indeed you say measure from the 4 boards directly, then where on the edge boards is the place to drop the negative probe?
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by viewerau; 05-20-2022, 03:35 AM.

Comment

I don't know what anyone else has been talking about or thinking, I, I and I have been talking about CHANGING out any bad caps and when I say compare the readings of each tvs panel driver boards it's to see if you can tell which ones may read differently to maybe find a clue to where to start removing caps, I've repaired many by replacing components on panel driver boards, and I AM speaking English, it is REALLY not that hard to understand, just read and comprehend. If a pictue is worth a thousand words look at youtube, I don't know what else to say.
                                  Last edited by nomoresonys; 05-20-2022, 05:22 AM.

Comment

I explained the test procedure to Mrsith in this thread and he found the offending cap and cleared the short from the panel driver board: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=106118

Comment

Nomoresonys.... I do not know what I have done to offend you, as your latest reply is really stinging.

I have just undertaken the task you asked me to do, in checking my 4 boards in the way you told me to, and simply reported those as requested.

I will try to dismantle the other one over the weekend and undertake the same tests again for comparison

Yep, think may identify something,or indeed nothing. If one and can affect the rest of them like the other video explained, then perhaps it is then a matter of finding that one, and hoping it is not all the one's that I marked in red, 16 in all.

Again, I don't know how I offended you to get that reaction, and yes, I have already seen the link you posted in your reply

I came here for help, and you have supported me. I was hoping this was on going.

Comment

I'm not mad, just can't figure out why you can't determine if the caps are faulty or not, removing them is a pain but without using those certain special techniques, removal of one at a time til the short is gone is about all that can be done to locate the bad component.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                                          yes test the same way tv unplugged from power, ALL ohm checking is done unpowered, I would keep the tv with the broken screen edge boards unhooked from tcon, just in case the screen break might short something out on the good parts, don't forget to do the same test as in post #132, and go ahead and test them as you did in post #127, It might help narrow down the problem component. So the one test is in diode mode and the other is in ohm mode.
                                          I don't get it nomoresonys....you asked me to do this, and now you are upset at me because I did as you say?

I went and posted up the returns I got from my 1st faulty tv..They showed diode test, and ohm test...just as asked.

I then told you I would dismantle the other over the weekend and report back after doing that.

What else have I not undertaken, that you asked me to do?

If you are over this, please say so, and I will stop following your instructions, that you ask me to do, in my own best interests.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                          X