Board shorts RX 5700 XT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Board shorts RX 5700 XT

Can use some help with this board. I am new to diagnosing. This is a Powercolor red devil rx5700xt. Gpu gives a code 43 in device manager. No display. Have multiple board shorts and a hot spot which I believe to be a buck converter. Can someone please offer any assistance, I really want to learn. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

Re: Board shorts RX 5700 XT update

Present board ohm readings.
    Attached Files

Comment

Re: Board shorts RX 5700 XT update

All voltage's present on boot, after post screen voltages drop to zero, picture marked with blue, in red voltage is present. Anyone ?? Help ??
      Attached Files

Comment

Re: Board shorts RX 5700 XT

It seems very unlikely to me to have all those secondary VRMs shorted. In fact your ohm readings don't support that. But yes, some of those resistances seem too low.
        But that does not seem to be the main issue here.

Since you have all voltages on boot (you did not clarify whether the card has picture): as soon as you have some load on the card, it gives up.
        To my understanding, those type of cards don't use al VCore VRMs all the time. It may only use a few at boot. After post it may activate other VRMs causing the card to crash.

Maybe a faulty power stage or the controller?

Where is that heatspot in the FLIR image located?

Comment

GPU displays motherboard logo, can enter bios before it goes black. See pics for hot spots and chip numbers. Thanks for any assistance.
          Attached Files

Comment

Also, Gpu-z shows no memory or Gpu clocks
            Last edited by sluzzojr; 05-08-2022, 02:55 PM. Reason: No pic

Comment

So the actual heatspot is that GS9230?

Buck converters can get a little bit warmer, but it obviously did not burn. I guess it's responsible for 1.8V or PEX voltage (please correct me if I'm wrong, still learning myself). If one of those voltages drops I would imagine bringing down other voltages as well (= crashing the card).

Try taking a reading on the VOUT (https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...9f8d711304.pdf). Does it change at the same time as it goes black?

Comment

Gpu-z
                Attached Files

Comment

Yes

Comment

Originally posted by sluzzojr View Post
                    Yes
                    To what question? ;-)

Comment

Update. Have NO idea what I did other than check the bios and a thorough cleaning, fresh thermal paste. It fired up with no code 43. Will put it through its paces and confirm stability.
                      Will update again in a few days. Thanks for the help didi79 !!!

Comment

So I put it in a small mining rig I have and it ran for 48 hrs just fine, then crashed. During those 48 hours I could see the bios info in hiveos, now the bios info is not present but still works. Temps are good, pulls 114 watts. When it crashes, if I reboot, it works again. Windows shows code 43 again. Ordered new bios chips, and controller chip gs9230.

Comment

If i remember correctly this could be as mentioned Bios issue / boot strap resistor issue. But also faulty Vram. You could see few videos from the youtuber techcemetary. He´s the only one i know of who likes to waste time on fixing graphics cards.

Depending on my expiriance, successful GPU repair ratio is usually around 40-50% or less depending on the gpu architecture. In most cases the gpu cooling is inadequate causing thermal stress and catastrophic failures on vital parts.

Comment

Thanks jonsig, I am still learning how to diagnose. I replaced both bios chips and put fresh bios’s on them. Card has had no issues, boots up every time. Replaced thermal pads and added thermal pads between back plate and pcb , temps are 26 degrees lower.

Comment

Working...
                            X