Asus rog strix gtx 1060 6gb not recognized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus rog strix gtx 1060 6gb not recognized

I am writing regarding an ASUS ROG STRIX 1060 6GB graphics card with no video output which is not recognized by the PC. I've checked the voltages at the output of the coils and they all seem to be correct: 12V, 5V, 1.8V, 1V (PEX), 1.5V (VRAM) and 0.85V (GPU). 3.3V is also present.

As for the resistances: 12V (10 kohms) 4.9V (900 ohms) 3.3V (3 kohms) 1.8V (50 ohms) 1V (150 ohms) VRAM (90 ohms) GPU (0.9 ohms)

According to measurements carried out by other users, the resistance at the 1.8V rail seems to be low. Just in case this low resistance is due to a GPU issue, I've also checked in diode mode (red probe to ground) all pairs of data lines that go from the GPU to the PCIe and they all show very similar values (around 0.5 V). Both REFCLK pins also seem to be OK (around 0.8V). However, the RST pin (A11) shows OL on the multimeter, even though its resistance to ground is 70 kohms. Connected to this pin, there is an area where a logic gate could fit but it's not present on this board (please check pictures below).

At this point, I don't know how to continue and I don't have an schematic of this board either. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Here is the front and the back of the board:

Front: https://i.imgur.com/1CVygLF.jpg

Back: https://i.imgur.com/MJFImRV.jpg

Re: Asus rog strix gtx 1060 6gb not recognized

Hi. I have similar kind of problem with my strix 1060.

My readings:
    No short on coils anywhere
    12v coils near 8 pin connector resistance to ground = 1.7 mega ohms and 1 mega ohms
    1.8v coil = 826 ohms
    1v = 51 ohms
    5v =946 ohms
    Pcie lane 12v and 3.3v = 439kohms and 3kohms respectively.

There is no physical damage on the card
    Pc boots up but gpu fans spins max speed with no display.
    Checked with igpu, not detected in device manager.
    I need help just like author. Anyone pls?

Comment

Hello,
      I have the same problem
      Last edited by Dr.Pc; 08-16-2022, 03:51 AM.

Comment

Reset pin open could be a gpu problem if there isnt anything else on that line to gpu.

Comment

50 ohms on 1V8 is not a good sign, should be ca 0.9kohms, GPU failure quite probable. You can try to use Mats/Mods to test the card, if no test possible, and the card is not recognized, then this will indicate that GPU is broken. Test also all the 32 pcs of 220nF caps on side A of the card for shorts (they are close to the PCIe connector, on the side towards the CPU on the Mobo). Beside the data lines, you should also test all the 32 address lines in diode mode, do it on the 220nF cap pin from GPU side. Finally you would need to desolder the GPU, and measure the resistance again, if it will be much higher, then you can assume this is a GPU fault. Other issues can be broken Bios firmware or Bios chip, you need a scope to look, if on the data line of the Bios is any data traffic during boot (as far as I remember pin 2 of the Bios chip). However if GPU is broken, there will also be no traffic there. You might also check the GPU crystal if it oscillates, you also need a scope for it, but with high input impedance and quite low input capacitance to do it (too high input capacitance may stop the clock network to oscillate).

Read other similar posts, there is a lot of information there, and probably almost all issues are already described somewhere. Unfortunately there is no one golden hint.
          Last edited by DynaxSC; 08-18-2022, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X