Samsung SyncMaster 2493HM black screen with power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung SyncMaster 2493HM black screen with power

Update: lcdalternatives shipped the missing cap and has fixed their kit to correctly match the board.

I installed the 2 caps on the inverter board and now the backlight doesn't turn on at all. I didn't really know what I was doing on the surface mounted components, so maybe I didn't get a good connection? I removed them, cleaned off the contacts with rubbing alcohol and resoldered. I also melted the solder around the big black components with the wire wrapped inside, thinking that might help. All the solder looked dull, not shiny like on the power board and the new solder, but it looks the same after re-melting with a little black and yellowing around the board where it contacts.

Anyone have another suggestion? I have ordered a new monitor but I kind of like tinkering with it/soldering, although I'm not very good at it.

Thanks

Comment

A simple suggestion - check the voltages out of the power supply. Check the fuses on the inverter.

Alternatively, a modest proposal: Let's treat this like a new thread. Attach sharp, well lit pictures of both the power supply and the inverter. Someone will look them over for solder shorts, reversed caps, etc. If that doesn't appear to be a problem, suggestions will be made to help isolate the problem.

PlainBill
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Greetings,

I am having the exact same problems as the original poster with my Samsung SyncMaster 2493HM. I've owned this screen for the past 2 years without any difficulties. However, within the last week the same problems as the OP started to happen intermittently with my screen. To recap I get a black screen with a clicking/popping sound from the screen speakers, and the blue light in the lower right corner is solid.

Unfortunately, I read through this thread and don't understand much of what is being discussed. I'm a complete novice/noob, and do not own a soldering gun. However, I know enough to realize my monitor is slowly failing.

Has anyone identified the exact problem? I would like to narrow it down so I can see how much it would cost me to have it repaired, or if it would be more cost effective to buy a new monitor.

A simple search reveals these monitors have failing caps in the power supply after a few years of use, but that provides slightly different symptoms (Black screen, No sounds, flashing blue Light). I am thinking something else may be wrong with my monitor since the symptoms are different, and wondering if anyone found what it is.

Thank you!

Comment

Your problem sound just like mine. If yours is like mine, you have maybe a week after it starts to black out before it will just stay black. Mine worked for a few days after being unplugged for about a week. I just finished replacing all the caps on the power supply board and the two on the inverter board. However this did not fix my problem and I have ordered a new monitor.

The process I went through provides no guarantees of repair, however does offer a chance for approximately $20 US (plus about $5 for a soldering iron). You may want to open up your monitor and inspect the caps on the power supply and inverter board for bulging or leaking. That would likely improve the chances that's your problem (mine did not show any of those signs). You can get a repair kit for the power supply from the links below. I ordered the two caps for the inverter board from digikey part #P14441-ND as they do not come with the repair kit.

If this doesn't repair it, my opinion is that it's more cost effective to replace the monitor. My recent search on newegg.com had 24" LED for around $200, less for regular LCD. I went with an ASUS ve278q 27" LED for $330

Parts:
          http://lcdalternatives.auctivacommer...-P1957067.aspx
          http://www.ccl-la.com/catalog/produc...roducts_id=157
          http://www.digikey.com/

Instructions/Information:
          http://www.ccl-la.com/blog/index.php...4-lcd-monitor/
          http://www.lcdalternatives.com/
          http://www.lcdalternatives.com/tutorials/VA930M/

Comment

Originally posted by superphreak4 View Post
            My recent search on newegg.com had 24" LED for around $200, less for regular LCD. I went with an ASUS ve278q 27" LED for $330

[/url]
            Well with prices like those it really makes it hard for those of us who REALY like to repair the broken ones. If you're trying to sell them you almost need to get the broken monitor for free just to make a little money when you sell it,
            I guess on the plus side with new prices so low, with what I am sure is a real quality build we will have all the broken ones we would ever need, no one will want to pay to get them fixed.
            Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

I started exactly same problems as you had and found your forum. Is there any updates or useful suggestions considering last update was 8/10/2011.

Comment

Originally posted by qshao View Post
                I started exactly same problems as you had and found your forum. Is there any updates or useful suggestions considering last update was 8/10/2011.
                Here's a free hint. This thread was 45 posts long before you made your post. There may have been more than one poster with a problem, there probably have been a number of troubleshooting steps.

First of all, we have no way of knowing if the OP has solved the problem unless they post a 'That fixed it' message. To figure out what problem you are having I would have to go back to the first post, and either assume the symptoms described are the same ones you are seeing, and then review the rest of the thread to make sure no other problems were mentioned. As I'm doing this, I have to wonder why you haven't tried any of the tests.

I have no problem with someone adding on to an existing thread, but at least describe the problem, note which tests you have performed, and supply pictures of your boards.

The other situation is someone will revive a thread, claiming to have the same problem when all they have is the same monitor - the problem is different.

PlainBill
                Last edited by PlainBill; 01-17-2012, 09:05 PM.
                For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Hello,
                  I am a newbie in this Forum ;hello toyou all.
                  I have A Samsung 2493,now the Led power is on but No picture.
                  It started a few month earlier ,by the "ckicking sound' noice ;i went on replac
                  all the caps in the Inverter board .The monitor worked good as new .
                  I dind't use it for 2 months .Now the noise comback .Next time i turn the computer on ,the picture sudently disappeared ;all black and the led light
                  on.I restarted the computer ,the picture comes out for a mili-second than black.
                  I open the monitor up,nothing out of order.atleast in my eyes.And no more noise .
                  Can sommeone help?please.Pictures if nessessary . and THANKS,davidho

Comment

Originally posted by davidho View Post
                    Hello,
                    I am a newbie in this Forum ;hello toyou all.
                    I have A Samsung 2493,now the Led power is on but No picture.
                    It started a few month earlier ,by the "ckicking sound' noice ;i went on replac
                    all the caps in the Inverter board .The monitor worked good as new .
                    I dind't use it for 2 months .Now the noise comback .Next time i turn the computer on ,the picture sudently disappeared ;all black and the led light
                    on.I restarted the computer ,the picture comes out for a mili-second than black.
                    I open the monitor up,nothing out of order.atleast in my eyes.And no more noise .
                    Can sommeone help?please.Pictures if nessessary . and THANKS,davidho
                    You have 'Two Seconds to Black'. Retiredcaps wrote an excellent troubleshooting procedure.

You also have an excessive number of typos.

PlainBill

Comment

Link to the guide PlainBill is referring to:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10419

Issues can include bad capacitors, bad transformers, bad ccfl's or ccfl wiring, bad transistors, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                        You have 'Two Seconds to Black'. Retiredcaps wrote an excellent troubleshooting procedure.

You also have an excessive number of typos.

PlainBill
                        Hi,

English is not my mother tongue ;some day i can't talk ....>old ,hope you understand me ,though so.

Comment

Originally posted by davidho View Post
                          Hi,

English is not my mother tongue ;some day i can't talk ....>old ,hope you understand me ,though so.
                          Sorry, my mistake. From your posting I mistook you for a student of one of our high schools who has not learned the importance of communicating clearly.

PlainBill

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                            Sorry, my mistake. From your posting I mistook you for a student of one of our high schools who has not learned the importance of communicating clearly.

PlainBill
                            No,Bill.Thanks to you.I wish i could express myself better.Regatds,ho

Comment

I have the same problem with my Samsung 2493HM Monitor. Been doing this on and off for the past 3 months. Sometimes smacking it temporarily fixes it. I have 2 of these monitors on my computer, one is fine and then one has the problem. If there has been any miracle break through to solve this I would be all ears. I am going to read through that trouble shooting guide above.

Comment

Originally posted by BadBeans View Post
                                Greetings,

I am having the exact same problems as the original poster with my Samsung SyncMaster 2493HM. I've owned this screen for the past 2 years without any difficulties. However, within the last week the same problems as the OP started to happen intermittently with my screen. To recap I get a black screen with a clicking/popping sound from the screen speakers, and the blue light in the lower right corner is solid.

Unfortunately, I read through this thread and don't understand much of what is being discussed. I'm a complete novice/noob, and do not own a soldering gun. However, I know enough to realize my monitor is slowly failing.

Has anyone identified the exact problem? I would like to narrow it down so I can see how much it would cost me to have it repaired, or if it would be more cost effective to buy a new monitor.

A simple search reveals these monitors have failing caps in the power supply after a few years of use, but that provides slightly different symptoms (Black screen, No sounds, flashing blue Light). I am thinking something else may be wrong with my monitor since the symptoms are different, and wondering if anyone found what it is.

Thank you!

UPDATE:

I finally pulled my monitor apart to examine both the power board and inverter board for buldging capacitors. I observed no obvious signs of damaged caps, which after reading this entire thread is to be expected since no one else with the exact same symptoms found damaged caps.

The original poster hasn't ever updated that he solved the problem, so I'm leaning towards an unsolved problems. I see many people posting about the same issue so if anyone ever finds a solution please post back in this thread. However, it could be the "2 seconds to black" problem, but I don't have the ability to do the things suggested in that thread.

I suppose the corporations are going to win again since I will be buying a cheap new monitor and giving my old one away.
                                Last edited by BadBeans; 03-25-2012, 06:43 PM.

Comment

hi

i am new on this board en have been reading all of your's massages.
                                  i had same problem with my Samsung en i found the problem at least for my monitor so i hope dat more people can fix thear screen's.

For me this problem started for a week ago so i opend my monitor en started to folow the power from the start. When I measure voltage over my bridge rectifier i found out that i had only on + side voltega en not on my - side.
                                  when I tap on it the voltage wil com back for a couple of secends and my screen would go on.
                                  So today i replaced my brige rectifier with a new one and problem was solved.

this is the part that i replaced

TS4B05G - Single Phase 4.0 AMPS. Glass Passivated Bridge Rectifiers

Here you can find more info for brige rectifier
                                  http://pdf1.alldatasheet.net/datashe...C/TS4B05G.html

i hop this help's some one.

Comment

My Samsung 2493HM is dead as well. It started with the screen going black on occasion. I would wiggle the power cord, tap the screen, etc. and it would come back. That lasted a week or so before it got progressively worse to the point it will not display a picture at all.

The blue light stays on. I don't remember if I heard any "ticking" or other noises but occasionally I would get the screen to make a "pop" type noise that was electronic in nature and fairly loud. This usually happened when I was wiggling the power cord or pushing in on it.

I have checked my boards to the OP boards and everything seems fine as far as I can tell. No obvious bad caps, no scorching etc. Since the blue light always stays on I figure it is not a bad solder joint where the 110v comes in and I examined those joints and they seem fine.

I am at a loss since there seems to be a lot of "bad press" about bulging caps but mine seem all fine. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by rob85635 View Post
                                      Any suggestions?
                                      1) Start by posting clear focused top down view of your all boards following my sig file below exactly.

2) Do you have a multimeter and do you know how to use it?
                                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Yes, I have a multimeter but I only use it rarely and to measure AC and DC voltage and I am unfamiliar with the other features but I will learn as needed. I will also post pictures. Thank you.

Rob

Comment

Here are some pictures. Sorry, the macro on this camera is not great. I can take close ups of anything you want with a better camera when the battery gets charges.

Rob
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X