Troubleshooting B&W Original Powersupply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Troubleshooting B&W Original Powersupply

Hi just joined this forum, I need help with an Zeppelin ( early MK1) my Red led is on not flashing, I've replaced all six caps ( two showed signs of stress outer casing s wrinkled) but it still the same just a constant red led on (Stuck in standbye)? Checked all three fuses all ok�� .
    Any ideas please, thanks��

Comment

Hi all,

Picked up a B&W Zeppelin for free last night and was told it had stopped working although it lights up but shows the red flashing LED. After following the guide I found the 47uF 400v and 2200uF 16v caps swollen, ordered up a full set of Panasonic FR caps for £12 and going to see if I can get it going.

I'll keep you posted on whether its operational at the end of the next week.

Thanks for your write ups and advice, most helpful.

Comment

Hi again,

I took the opportunity to replace all 6 caps with Panasonic FR types and paid princely sum of £12, it took no more than an hour to repair. It's now working again and sounds great, for a freebie I cant complain. Just need a blue tooth dongle and add some new fabric over the speaker grills to make it mint again.

I am a little gutted as my son has pinched it for his room.

Comment

Hello,
          I came across this forum and it seems it the only good help on the net. I had the same issues and I decided to follow the instruction to open my speaker, but when I reached PSU it doesn't look evident to me. Maybe the yellow one?

I appreciated it if someone could help.

Thanks
          Attached Files

Comment

strange,
            the 4 diodes - D201 etc look like they have burned/corroded leads.

Comment

Hi Stj,
              Many thanks for your quick reply, so do you think i would change them first and give it a try?
              could you please let me know the model and the details of the 4 diodes to purchase?

Sorry I don't have electronic background , I am just trying to avoid throwing electronics
              Thanks again

Comment

test them with a meter

Comment

Thanks for your help and prompt reply.

I should find a place to test them since I don't have the meter.

When i looked closer it doesn't seem to me that they are burnt, maybe it was the photo.

PFA a better photo

Thanks
                  Attached Files

Comment

if you dont have a meter then how can you fix anything?

Comment

Yes you are right, I thought if I can find the problem I will go around and ask someone in the electronic repair shop, but anyway I am going to buy the meter and soldering kit to be independent!
                      Thanks

Comment

Hello Stj,
                        I have check the diodes D201, all 4 seems to be good, on the good direction they are reading around 470 and opposite OL.

on the other hand I touched the surface of the capacitor in the photo, it seems bulged, I also see the one behind is a bit bulged, as far as I understood from this forum I have to order 4 capacitors below:

Rubycon ZLH 2200 uF 16 VDC
                        Rubycon XYG 470 uF 16 VDC
                        Rubycon ZLH 220 uF 35 VDC
                        Rubycon ZL 1000 uF 35 VDC

could you please advise?
                        Thanks
                        Attached Files

Comment

Any advice please?

Comment

bulged caps are bad.
                            it means the liquid in them has boiled or generated gas.

Comment

Originally posted by OmidN View Post
                              Hello Stj,
                              I have check the diodes D201, all 4 seems to be good, on the good direction they are reading around 470 and opposite OL.

on the other hand I touched the surface of the capacitor in the photo, it seems bulged, I also see the one behind is a bit bulged, as far as I understood from this forum I have to order 4 capacitors below:

Rubycon ZLH 2200 uF 16 VDC
                              Rubycon XYG 470 uF 16 VDC
                              Rubycon ZLH 220 uF 35 VDC
                              Rubycon ZL 1000 uF 35 VDC

could you please advise?
                              Thanks
                              Yes I was going to say they look bulged in your first pictures...
                              Replace them and see how you go...
                              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Many Thanks, I will keep you updated, I am ordering them through https://fr.rs-online.com/web/ca/recapitulatifpanier/

Just for the record in case if anyone else need that in future

Comment

Hello,
                                  Many thanks for your feedbacks, I changed those 4 caps and my speaker is back to live. I appreciate it, A few comments for the next person:

1. I have damaged the seat for PSU, basically I tried to screw it back gently but somehow all the seats damaged. The plastic became brittle. I eventually managed to fix 3 of the screws so PSU doesn't move.
                                  2. Please look at the disassembly a few times before you start opening, I damaged the locks for the front cover. now the cover is not 100% fixed in its place.
                                  3. In my order the 470uf caps were a bit fatter than the original one, so I was struggling to solder it in its place.
                                  Last edited by OmidN; 02-05-2021, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OmidN View Post
                                    Hello,
                                    Many thanks for your feedbacks, I changed those 4 caps and my speaker is back to live. I appreciate it, A few comments for the next person:

1. I have damaged the seat for PSU, basically I tried to screw it back gently but somehow all the seats damaged. The plastic became brittle. I eventually managed to fix 3 of the screws so PSU doesn't move.
                                    2. Please look at the disassembly a few times before you start opening, I damaged the locks for the front cover. now the cover is not 100% fixed in its place.
                                    3. In my order the 470uf caps were a bit fatter than the original one, so I was struggling to solder it in its place.
                                    If you have access to plastic spacers or plastic square bar and the right length screws and square bar would probably be the best thing to try or metal “L” bracket screw one side of the “L” into the cabinet and the other side of the cover if you have access to treaded rivets mount them on the side of where the cover is being mounted to the “ L” bracket

I have done this many times in the past when the original plastic pin break use plastic spacers and screws in place of the broken plastic pins or if you have access to circuit board stand-off is the best solution for this type of problem
                                    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 02-05-2021, 09:13 PM.
                                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                                    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                                    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                                    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                                    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                                    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                                    1 Dell Mother Board
                                    15 Computer Power Supply
                                    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                                    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                                    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Oh boy, I lost mine Zep (1st Generation, metal back), too. - When plugged in, red light is flashing.

When reading related topics here and elsewhere, i suspect the PSU.

After dissassembling the unit, I expected to find some broken caps, but I would say that all caps look fine.
                                      So this is the root cause why I'm here, I hope that some more experience eyes hint me to the possible reason.

But to be save, there are several photos taken from PSU and Controller Board #1 and #2, maybe i have overseen the broken part.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Does anyone know what 'flashing red' means? mine does it, but once I get it to turn on it says on untill I turn it off?
                                        ANyone tried replacing the psu altogether? Is it just 25v or is it multi v output?
                                        thanks

Comment

Hi fellow Zeppelin lovers.
                                          I'm really struggling to find YXG 470uF caps. Can someone tell me an equivalent? Farnell, a major UK supplier no longer stocks them, so they are either superceded or ?
                                          I'm going a bit cross eyed looking!
                                          Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                          X