Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reebok GT40s Treadmill power supply issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reebok GT40s Treadmill power supply issue?

Hi, just joined the forum and came across this thread with interest. I have a Reebok treadmill with the exact same symptoms. Here's hoping the fix will be the same!!

Thanks for the pointers, will keep you updated when I get round to taking it apart.

Cheers

Dale

Comment

Originally posted by daled View Post
      Hi, just joined the forum and came across this thread with interest. I have a Reebok treadmill with the exact same symptoms. Here's hoping the fix will be the same!!

Thanks for the pointers, will keep you updated when I get round to taking it apart.

Cheers

Dale
      Did anyone manager to resolve this issue? Having the same problem also

Comment

I gave up all pretentions of being able to fix it myself and sent my board to a chap in Rhyl; https://www.treadmilldoctor.co.uk

It cost me £69 Inc postage and he sends you a bottle of belt oil free with your repaired board. Apparently, 75% of the time it's the 24pin chip. It contains the program code for the treadmill so save your time trying to locate a replacement - even if you found the right microcontroller, you'd never get the code.

Mine is working fine now. For anyone who has this problem, check the chip is secure in the socket, try cleaning the legs. Failing that, spend the money and get it fixed by the guy who sorted mine. Good luck!

Comment

Hi All,

We had the very same symptoms on our treadmill. I quickly identified the power board as the source of the issue, so I decided to order a new one (it's £65 from Reebok). Fortunately the wife was smarter and googled the problem and she found this topic. I measured both SS310 diodes on the PCB and there was a short on DD3, so I ordered 10 spare diodes, replaced the faulty one and the treadmill is working again.
          Thank you notallbad, you saved me time and money.

And shame on me, I'm an electrical engineer and was lazy to check the components as I was expecting a more complex problem.

BTW, before the treadmill stopped to work I heard a buzzing noise from the power supply for weeks.

Attached Files
          Last edited by balmesz001; 02-03-2020, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Hi All,

I have got the same treadmill (Reebok GT40s) but I have a different problem. My partner was using the treadmill but then the treadmill powered off. When I came in the room, I immediately smelled that electric component burning type of smell coming from the treadmill. I removed the power and let the treadmill rest for a while.

I powered it up after about an hour, the treadmill powers up, I could see 0:00 on the display but then it showed E2. The treadmill then starts to make a beeping sound every second or so from the speaker. When I press the start button, nothing happens, the E2 message is shown throughout with the beeping sound until I power off the treadmill.

I did call Reebok support to which they advised that it is highly likely that the motor control board is at fault. I did ask if it could be the motor, but they advised that it couldn't be it as the E2 message means a fault with the board. I was about to place an order for the board, but they are currently out of stock. I asked when the stock would arrive, but they weren't sure and just said it could be weeks.

After googling treadmill errors and faults, I came upon this thread and thought I'll open the treadmill to see if there any noticeable burnt components on the board.

The board itself looks good as new, there are no burn marks at all, I even took it out of the metal housing to see underneath but it's all clean. I did notice the board in my treadmill is slightly different, looking at the date stamp on the board it's from 2016 rather than 2014 ones on this thread. I have attached a pic of it and the E2 error.

I'm not sure where to start testing the board. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
            Attached Files

Comment

Check that you have line voltage across AC1 & AC2, then I would check the DC voltage across the motor terminals M- & M+ , It is possible the smell came from the motor, The E2 error seems to point to no feedback from the speed sensor (motor not turning)
              You could check the diode D11, and any others in that location.
              Last edited by R_J; 02-11-2020, 09:48 PM.

Comment

follow the smell...

Comment

I have line voltage across AC1 & AC2 so there is power going into the board. The motor installed in this treadmill is 180V, I don't any reading from the motor terminals M- & M+. Does that mean the board is at fault?

Is there a way to test the motor?

Comment

Can you turn the motor by hand? disconnect the motor from the board and measure the motor resistance (across the red & black wires) If you can spin the motor by hand, connect your meter (use DC volts) across the motor wires and and spin it, you should read a voltage. If you do the motor is likely ok.

Comment

I connected the multi-meter to the negative and positive wires of the motor and ran on the treadmill. I got a voltage reading from the motor. The faster the motor turned the voltage reading increased.

It looks like the motor is good then...the board must be faulty.

Any thoughts?

Comment

I would check the parts directly connected to the motor, I believe there is a diode and a transistor mounted to the heatsink, check them first.

Comment

[QUOTE=balmesz001;939970]Hi All,
                          I have just found this article, I too have the same problem and I have tested DD3 which is shorted. I have ordered a pack of the diodes and I'm waiting for them, but I wanted to ask you if this has still fixed the problem for you.

Regards

Jim

We had the very same symptoms on our treadmill. I quickly identified the power board as the source of the issue, so I decided to order a new one (it's £65 from Reebok). Fortunately the wife was smarter and googled the problem and she found this topic. I measured both SS310 diodes on the PCB and there was a short on DD3, so I ordered 10 spare diodes, replaced the faulty one and the treadmill is working again.

And shame on me, I'm an electrical engineer and was lazy to check the components as I was expecting a more complex problem.

BTW, before the treadmill stopped to work I heard a buzzing noise from the power supply for weeks.

Hi

I have just found this article, I too have the same problem and I have tested DD3 which is shorted. I have ordered a pack of the diodes and I'm waiting for them, but I wanted to ask you if this has still fixed the problem for you.

Regards

Jim

Comment

[QUOTE=balmesz001;939970]Hi All,

BTW, before the treadmill stopped to work I heard a buzzing noise from the power supply

Hi Balmesz

I received the diodes today, same as yourself I replaced dd3 and the treadmill powered up fine. I gave it a 20 minute test and everything was ok. I haven't been able to find a schematic for the board but I'm guessing that dd3 is the output rectifying diode. Having seen how many people have had this fault I would love to see the schematic and try and figure out what is causing this fault. But all good here at the moment so thanks for your post.

Jim

Comment

just found this thread gents on Google, bought a faulty GT40S with the same symptoms and guess what DD3 was shorting! removed and the screen fired up then showed an E1 which i expected. Now to order a diode and hope to god i can remember how to solder.

Anyway i came on to say thanks Guys

Cheers Paul

Comment

thank you guys for this forum, you saved my life , exactly same issue on my treadmill Reebok onegt40s,

Comment

Hi I've a problem with my reebok gt40s treadmill it randomly keeps completely cutting out sometimes it will be fine haven't noticed a pattern with it,just abit scared to use it now as it stops dead when in use.

Going to have a look at the board later today

Comment

Originally posted by Bella30 View Post
                                    Hi I've a problem with my reebok gt40s treadmill it randomly keeps completely cutting out sometimes it will be fine haven't noticed a pattern with it,just abit scared to use it now as it stops dead when in use.

Going to have a look at the board later today
                                    Please post some pictures of the front and back of each board in this device

Welcome to the forum
                                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                                    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                                    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                                    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                                    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                                    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                                    1 Dell Mother Board
                                    15 Computer Power Supply
                                    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                                    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                                    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Bit late only just got round to looking at the board apart from being dusty can't see anything.

Treadmill will randomly cut out

Any ideas?
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bella30 View Post
                                        Bit late only just got round to looking at the board apart from being dusty can't see anything.

Treadmill will randomly cut out

Any ideas?
                                        Check the spade connector circled in blue for corrosion
                                        Attached Files
                                        All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
                                          Check the spade connector circled in blue for corrosion
                                          Seems to be okay any other ideas?
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X