Gateway 2100 Shutdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gateway 2100 Shutdown

I have a gateway 21" lcd that I'm repairing. First it shut down right away. I replaced some caps near the voltage regulator in the video board. Now it shuts down after about 30 seconds. Checked out some of the bulbs and the ones on one plug buzz and make an ozone smell. They all light up. Any way to run just the other bulbs or no bulbs. I want to know if its something in the inverter or if its only the bulbs.

Re: Gateway 2100 Shutdown

Originally posted by NxB
    I have a gateway 21" lcd that I'm repairing. First it shut down right away. I replaced some caps near the voltage regulator in the video board. Now it shuts down after about 30 seconds. Checked out some of the bulbs and the ones on one plug buzz and make an ozone smell. They all light up. Any way to run just the other bulbs or no bulbs. I want to know if its something in the inverter or if its only the bulbs.
    Swap the bulbs (top-> bottom, bottom-> top), and if the noise moves the lamps are bad.
    There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
    • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
    • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
    • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
    • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
    • Windows 10 Pro x64
    • GeForce GT1050
      2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Don't run these without the bulbs, you can fry the transformer (HV) secondary.

The ozone smell is because you've recapped it and it now has a higher voltage and might be "leaking" to ground. Clean those areas well and make sure the contacts to the bulbs are nice and tight. As eguevarae said, those bulbs might be bad.

?Curious - What make & series of caps were in there? What did you replace them with?
      veritas odium parit

Comment

I replaced them with caps I found on a 939 motherboard. I don't have it in front of me right now but they were the same voltage and uf. They were 470 at 16v and near the voltage regulator on the video board. All were completely vented. There are a bunch of 470 at 25v in the power supply too but I don't have an ESR meter yet to test which makes this really annoying. I figured I would replace all of them on the next parts order. I'll swap around the bulbs and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
        X