Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viewsonic VA1912wb LCD - Cap question.

Hey,

Being a neophyte to monitor repairs and electronics in general. I have a quick question about replacing a cap on a Viewsonic VA1912wb LCD. The Cap in question is a CapXon 220uF 25V. I found the exact rating of Cap at digikey.com.

But in the interest of trying to fix this asap. I found a 220uF 35V cap at RadioHell. Using the higher voltage is that a bad thing? I'm guessing yes. But a friend didn't think it was an issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Re: Viewsonic VA1912wb LCD - Cap question.

Originally posted by carnagecdl
    Hey,

Being a neophyte to monitor repairs and electronics in general. I have a quick question about replacing a cap on a Viewsonic VA1912wb LCD. The Cap in question is a CapXon 220uF 25V. I found the exact rating of Cap at digikey.com.

But in the interest of trying to fix this asap. I found a 220uF 35V cap at RadioHell. Using the higher voltage is that a bad thing? I'm guessing yes. But a friend didn't think it was an issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    Several. A gentle-being would refer to it as Radio Heck.

The RH capacitor probably will not perform satisfactorily, but that has little to do with the voltage. This application requires a capacitor designed for switching power supplies, 105°C, and very low ESR. The odds are the cap you found at RH is rated at 85°C and was not designed for low ESR.

I'd suggest posting the series of the present cap. (There are several threads in the first section on identifying the brand, rating, and series of caps). I would also point out another fallacy in your approach. The cap that failed did not fail because it happened to have a defect in manufacturing. It failed because CapXon makes inferior caps. The rest of the caps in the power supply are likely already failing.

From personal experience, Digi-Key is an excellent source of parts. The cap you need (P10271-ND) costs $.38 from Digi-Key. Shipping will cost about $2.00, delivery will take about 2 days. You can replace every CapXon in the power supply for under $5.00!!

PlainBill

PS. Verify size and lead spacing!!

pb
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Working...
    X