(Generic) CCFL replacement - uneven lighting? - 223BW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Generic) CCFL replacement - uneven lighting? - 223BW

Ordered a 4-bulb kit (two pairs) from CCFL Warehouse for one of my Samsung 226BW monitors.
    (I accidentally put 223BW in the title... crud)

Got it installed, now the display works. Long ago, I had two of these that were both inop, and I found that one bulb in each monitor was dead, thus creating the standard 2-seconds problem. I swapped the good bulbs from one monitor and put them in the other, creating one good and fully dead one. That second one is the one that I put new bulbs in.

Anyway, it all looks great... Except the lighting isn't perfectly even.
    The center of the screen, on a white picture (say - notepad open), has a slightly blown-out, brighter spot. Only on the bottom, I think?
    -The only thing I can think that would be in this area is the little "twist tie" thing (bad term) that holds the two bulbs together.
    Then on a black screen, there's these lines that run up and down it of just very slightly different in intensity from the next.

I've actually gotten used to it a little, I think. But if I ever decide to find a new owner for this one... that'll be tough.

Pictures attached (had to accentuate the problem in post, a little so that it would show up how I see it with my eyes).

What could cause this? Bulb problem? Not perfect quality? I don't think I could have possibly missed a diffuser when I put it back together... I think I might crack it open soon (day off) and see if there's anything obvious.
    Attached Files

Re: (Generic) CCFL replacement - uneven lighting? - 223BW

2 things,

1. you should always check new lamps *before* you fit them so you can see them properly.

2. tubes are the past.
    http://stores.ebay.com/lcd-led-parts

Comment

Upon looking inside, it sorta looks like little fractures line the edges of the glass. I could see these causing bright spots/refractions or something. I'm not sure how I would have possibly created these marks, but who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by alecjahn View Post
        Upon looking inside, it sorta looks like little fractures line the edges of the glass. I could see these causing bright spots/refractions or something. I'm not sure how I would have possibly created these marks, but who knows?
        Considering the source of light is positioned at the edges of the panel (edge-lit) then the condition of the edges are going to affect the ways the light gets spread and diffused in the panel and could have any result.

Comment

It's hard for me to tell, but it appears they are perfectly vertical. I guess that doesn't sound farfetched (mark in edge of glass light shining perfectly vertical through it), but my first thought was something was wrong with the panel itself, and the lines were literally following vertical blocks of pixels.

Say, there's that tiny little potentiometer on the back of the [T-CON board? Is that what it is called in these small LCDs, too?]
          I'd play with it, but turning random pots is scary.
          Seems like something is being "blown out", too intense of a signal.
          I'm just thinking out loud, here.

I'm reminded of a movie (so far):
          "What did we learn, Palmer?"
          "I don't know sir."
          "I don't know either. I guess we learned not to do it again."
          "Yes sir, it's hard to say."

Comment

if you mean a pot on the lcd panel - DONT TOUCH IT.
            that's the screen bias control.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              if you mean a pot on the lcd panel - DONT TOUCH IT.
              that's the screen bias control.
              Thank you, that's what I was wanting to hear.
              Well, I guess I was *wanting* to hear "tweak that sucker, your lines will go away!" but knowing I was right not to touch it is pretty good, too.

I think I'll just live with the lines. I've got a couple other same-size displays that I could use for myself, but I realize selling this one would be difficult, considering it would be hard to break even with the new bulbs and this malady.

Cheers,
              -Alec

Comment

what did you pay for the tubes?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                  what did you pay for the tubes?
                  Well, I bought the kit off of CCFL Warehouse for that specific model.

And yes, I see now that LED conversions appear to be cheaper, like half the price. I guess I'll know next time...

Comment

what i like about that company,
                    they sell a universal led invertor too.
                    handy if you have broken led backlit panels to salvage the strips from.

Comment

Working...
                    X