Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web Hosting/Email Service??

Need some advice/recommendations..

I own several domains that I had parked at GoDaddy.. Attached to those domains were about 2 dozen different email addresses I used for my various projects..

I didn't really do anything with the domains, as far as web presence or anything.. Just pretty much left the domains languish in GoDaddy and used the GoDaddy CP to maintain the emails..

GoDaddy has since gone Darkside and converted everything to MS and OFFICE365 and I dare not follow...

Can anyone recommend a service where I can stick the few domains and set up the email addresses with generic SMTP/POP3 settings. A simple admin CP is all that is needed.. The less I have to actually THINK about things, let alone do, the better.. Nothing is mission-critical and I don't need a lot of fancy doo-dads.. Matter of fact, the less fancy the better...

And the cheepest would be an added bonus...

Thoughts???

Thanx in advance...

Re: Web Hosting/Email Service??

why not just host it yourself?
    all you need is an old pc running Linux and a fixed i.p. address.

Comment

Yea, I used to do that in my youth.. But these days I haven't the time, and I am out in the boonies with an internet connection that is barely above tin cans and string...

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        why not just host it yourself?
        all you need is an old pc running Linux and a fixed i.p. address.
        Yunno... The more I think about it, the more I kinda like that idea..

I have access to T1 at work and, while it would be a pain to relearn (my last experience with Linux was Fedora) once set up, it would pretty much run itself..

Would you have any suggestions for easy to set up packages that would do what I want to do???

Comment

look for "LAMP" packages.
          it's a combination for web hosting all bundled together.

centos is supposed to be optimised for server use
          https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=centos

Comment

The fixed IP address is the bigger problem over whatever distribution you choose...

A T1 is pretty slow these days too... usually business would spring for something faster and static IP is a whole another issue... businesses that lease static IPs pay for them for a reason...

Comment

A T1 would be more than plenty for a small email relay server. Large attachments might move a little slow....but for any basic messaging, it would be fine.
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
              http://folding.stanford.edu/
              Team : 49813
              Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Thanx for the input, guys..

Yea, this is not really a "business" per se.. Just a bunch of personal emails I use..

I got CentOS installed.. Used the CentOS-8-x86_64-1905-dvd1

Am checking out some of the web hosting packages..

It's slow going.. I am 2 weeks out from open heart triple by-pass surgery and it's hard to think straight at times..

GoDaddy's timing was about as lousy as it gets..

Once I find some packages I'll probably have a bunch of questions.

HOW TO INSTALL ZPANEL CP?
                http://www.servermom.org/install-zpa...tos-6-vps/923/

Gonna try and tackle that tomorrow..

Thanx again for all the help..

Comment

It's more of T1's, since they're slow, likely the person who leased it from the phone company also did not get static IP, else they'd probably have a faster link to run servers on them. That's not to say that it won't work with static IP.

Most ISPs don't lease static IPs anymore...so sad... I think even basic "business" internet doesn't even have static IP, the local public library system gets internet access from Comcast and even it has dynamic IP, probably for cost savings...

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                    Most ISPs don't lease static IPs anymore
                    Yea, that would be....When I hosted everything from my house many moons ago, I got an entire subnet to myself.....254 live IP's to do with as I pleased.... I used maybe 10 of them.
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                    http://folding.stanford.edu/
                    Team : 49813
                    Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

i think its because they're running out of ipv4 addresses thats why isps dont wanna do static ip addresses anymore, right? if yes, then ah... the good ol' days indeed..

not sure if the OP can lease a static ipv6 address. when spork tried it, it was convulated getting it to work right if i recall his posts some time back but my memory of it is fuzzy at best...

Comment

Well, I think you can still get statics but you have to buy some ridiculous business package...

But ipv6 pisses me off somewhat, I have a /64 of IPV6 but don't have reverse DNS to them. Not having reverse DNS hurts a lot when trying to run a sending smtp server.

I do wonder if free IPV6 tunnels have reverse DNS, may have to go that route...

But of course if you have ipv4 mail coming in, this won't work.

Comment

Working...
                        X