Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing capacitors on a 12v 5000w Pure Sine Inverter .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing capacitors on a 12v 5000w Pure Sine Inverter .

Greetings folks. I darn near blew the heck out of my 12V inverter the other day by connecting it to a 24V battery source. :poof . Well lesson learned...... or maybe not . But in the meantime I have 4 Capacitors that need immediate replacing each rated at 16V 3300uf and 105deg. I saw a break down review You Tube video where the host suggested that the 35V Capacitors were a better choice for manufacturers to use. Another video suggested that replacing capacitors of higher Voltage is fine but that the 3300uf rating should be kept the same. Can someone please clarify what the functional benefits of installing the 35V caps would be as well as clarifying the rule regarding keeping the same 3300uf rating. I've not yet maxed out the Inverters capabilities as it's still pretty new and I'm slowly linking more appliances to it as and when needed during the nation wide blackouts we regularly face down here in South Africa. If the inverters components can be upgraded/modded I'm open to suggestions and discussions on that once I get this initial fix sorted out. Kind regards and hope to hear back from the Badcaps community soon. Ty.
    Attached Files

Re: Replacing capacitors on a 12v 5000w Pure Sine Inverter .

Many vehicle charging systems put out 14 or more volts, which is very close to the original capacitor rating... In general, you would like a bit more 'clearance' above the expected voltage.
    35-volt ratings would have accepted the 24V accident with no problem.

Originally posted by Tyran View Post
    the host suggested that the 35V Capacitors were a better choice for manufacturers to use. Another video suggested that replacing capacitors of higher Voltage is fine but that the 3300uf rating should be kept the same.

Comment

Thank you Marsha847. The extra clearance suggestion makes sense. Any thoughts on whether the uf rating ought to be kept the same or not and what benefit there might be in adding capacitors with higher uf ratings?

Comment

As long the new capacitor fits I don’t see a reason that you could not use let’s say a 35V 4700uF capacitor in there. The only thing is that the 16V 3300uF cap is probably cheaper to buy.

Comment

My dad had four marine batteries planning to hook them in parallel to an inverter. Never did though. They're still in the garage, mounted to a single wooden blank.
          Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
          ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Working...
          X