PC cleanner for free?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC cleanner for free?

Hi guys anybody tried any of these Pc Cleaners,it says free,they let you scan and find to many errors but to fix they want you to register,what´s the deal here,if i register do they want money?

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolso...r-programs.htm

Re: PC cleanner for free?

ccleaner is a free version works very well imo
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Comment

I have used CC cleaner but you need to be careful or you could clean out something you shouldnt. Keep backups!!
      If you have a specific problem maybe better to look for a fix for that.

Their free scan will just pick out any problems - if you want to see some and you run windows XP just click start- control panel- administrative tools -
      event viewer - application - Im pretty certain it will find many.

In the UK there are various scammers who prey on the elderly they ring
      up and get them to do the above then say there you are loads of errors - we can fix that for you. They then either charge or worse still ask you to type in some code which gives them access and a key logger so they can pinch your passwords. I always keep them talking on the phone for as long as possible
      then advise them I am having the call traced ---- click!!!!!!.
      Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

I recommend you "iObit Advanced Free Cleaner" which is good and not corrupt important data.

Comment

iirc thats one of the annoying scamware ones.
          ccleaner is the only one i use.
          Originally posted by 8ternity View Post
          I recommend you "iObit Advanced Free Cleaner" which is good and not corrupt important data.

Comment

I for one hate things like that but I also hate the lack of privacy on the interweb so maybe I'm just too old fashioned.
            canadaboy25

-Sometimes the light at the end of a tunnel is an on-coming train

Comment

I never have and never will use any PC cleaning/tuneup, registry fix, driver update tool or anything of that nature. They do absolutely nothing helpful and usually cause problems.
              I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I second that.
                since I stopped using them, I seem to have next too no problems
                the only things I use are avg and malware but only run the scan part of them occasionally

Comment

Yeah me too if I have any issue I always do it manually.... even from DOS
                  canadaboy25

-Sometimes the light at the end of a tunnel is an on-coming train

Comment

I used to use Norton SystemWorks years ago, but it wasn't perfect either. On a clean install of Windows XP it found numerous registry "problems" that it wanted to fix....

I use CCleaner now, for temp files etc. I disable most of the things it cleans so I don't lose cookies, history, program MRU lists etc. I don't use the registry part - haven't tried a registry cleaner in years. IMO they break more than they fix...
                    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                    -David VanHorn

Comment

I've used a very old regcleaner (Jouni Vuorio 4.3) that is no longer available and it doesn't work with hyper-threading or multicore CPUs. Just like any other registry cleaner one must be careful and pay attention to what you are doing to avoid creating problems. I generally do not use any PC cleaners other than trusted anti-spyware and anti-virus programs.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                        ccleaner is the only one i use.
                        Same here.

I started using CCleaner back when it was still called Crap Cleaner (some 8 years ago?!). Instantly became addicted to its functionality back then and still am to this day. Haven't been keeping up with the latest versions as of the last 3 years, so I can't say how good it is now, but their older versions can still be a huge time saver.

On my everyday PCs, I use it daily before shutting down to wipe out temp files and history as well as Windows logs and a few other things (nothing in the registry, though).

Back when I used to intern at an IT place, CCleaner has saved me hours, if not days, of time. When you have 30 mis-configured laptops brought in the middle of the week that need to be done by Friday so that they are ready for the following week, it's CCleaner time for sure. First off, many of the computers I worked on had a crap-ton of unnecessary processes running in tray. Now, I could go in each program's settings and try to disable automatic start-up, or I can just go in a single window in CCleaner and do them all at once. The latter option is a no-brainer.

The best part is that there is a portable version of CCleaner that you can run directly off of your flash drive without installing. And it remembers your settings. Very handy in situations like mine above. Also very handy when someone brings me an infected computer to take a look at. The first thing I do is run CCleaner and disable almost all of the start-up items. Then, I run the cleaner to flush the temp Windows directories. Many viruses still run out of the Windows temp directories.

Originally posted by c_hegge
                        I never have and never will use any PC cleaning/tuneup, registry fix, driver update tool or anything of that nature. They do absolutely nothing helpful and usually cause problems.
                        In general, many of these do indeed do nothing useful or helpful, especially the driver update tools.
                        But useless temp files do accumulate over time in Windows, and they just take up HDD space for no reason. You could use the Windows built-in clean-up tool - which is slow and IMO sucks... or just do it with a single click in CCleaner.

I've also used the registry cleaner in CCleaner a few times, but I can't say it's making any majorly noticeable difference in anything. Mostly found references to old DLL files, which were no longer on the system, thus no longer need, and a few extension association problems, which also wasn't a bad idea to remove. It didn't pick up any false-positives, though (unlike many of the leading tune-up utilities), so overall it is not bad. I still don't use it much though. In fact, I only use it if I suspect there is a registry problem with anything, and even then I check carefully what it picks. Overall, I am not to keen on using registry cleaners, so I am with you all that it's better to dissuade people from using them.

Comment

my PC cleaner is a Cron script.
                          Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                            my PC cleaner is a Cron script.
                            What do you clean with that? I've always wondered about Linux temp files etc.
                            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                            -David VanHorn

Comment

On Xp I have used and I use sometimes WiseDiskCleaner to remove unnecessary stuff and temp files.

For the registry I use WiseRegCleaner, you find them here

http://www.wisecleaner.com/

I had not a single problem with them but while with disk cleaner you see the free space at the end of the process, with the registry cleaner it is difficult for me to say if it really does something really useful, at least I can say it does no damages anything.

Unfortunately as almost all software today they have change the programs and I don't like them, I'm still using old version because they are more user friendly IMHO.

There are also portable version, so you don't need to install them.

http://www.wisecleaner.com/download.html

Ciao
                              Gianni
                              Last edited by Gianni; 07-04-2014, 12:33 AM.
                              "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
                              H. J. Brown

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                                What do you clean with that? I've always wondered about Linux temp files etc.
                                probably deleting all the auto-generated "preview" images that Dolphin and other file managers generate.
                                that and wiping browser cache makes one hell of a difference.
                                my browser caches over 80meg a day!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                  probably deleting all the auto-generated "preview" images that Dolphin and other file managers generate.
                                  that and wiping browser cache makes one hell of a difference.
                                  my browser caches over 80meg a day!
                                  yes, it does those and removes pre formatted manpages that are too old.
                                  Last edited by goontron; 07-04-2014, 09:59 AM.
                                  Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

+1 for ccleaner, I also use spyware blaster which is free (if you don't mind manual updates).

Comment

I've never used ccleaner and was under the impression that it was spyware/adware stuff. But dang near everything is now days. I use SuperAntiSpyware (free) and AVG (free), if I need to ever look deep into the registry I use either RegEdit or HijackThis but when I do so it is something specific to look for and remove. Usually reg entries with orphaned files and other invalid entries don't cause a problem but if I get an error indicating they do then I take action. There again though, I try to know what I am about to delete before I actually delete it, no matter what tool is used. I still use RegCleaner 4.23 on PCs that will run it (not hyper-threading or multicore processors) and it has caused no problems for me to use the "do them all" registry cleanup actions.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveNielsen View Post
                                        I've never used ccleaner and was under the impression that it was spyware/adware stuff.
                                        CCleaner is fine. But if you downloaded it from sites like CNet or Download.com you will find it comes bundled with crapware.

I always download from their official website here: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

Note that the installer will ask if you want to install Google Chrome, but that's easy to opt-out of.
                                        -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                                        X