PORSCHE 928 Resistor Pack - Need Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PORSCHE 928 Resistor Pack - Need Help

if it's for the blower then fuck it, fit a chinese pwm motor speed controller and replace the switch with a pot.

i have seen and fixed this problem half a dozen times now on ford vans - they are notorious for burning up resistors on the blower.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      if it's for the blower then fuck it, fit a chinese pwm motor speed controller and replace the switch with a pot.

i have seen and fixed this problem half a dozen times now on ford vans - they are notorious for burning up resistors on the blower.
      I would second this idea as long as it only for the ac fan blower motor

You would have better fan motor speed control but I would modify the speed controller for a minimum speed so you do not have the fan speed to low because if the refrigerant control device is a cap tube restricting device you will have to do this because you will freeze up the evaporator coil if it is a TXV valve or a expansion control valve this is not so important but you still will have to have a minimum amount of air flow

Now if you had a temperature controller that included a PWM controller function that would be the best of both worlds because you base the fan minimum speed on temperature
      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 04-26-2022, 01:32 PM.
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply
      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

What sort of PWM controller were you thinking of? Most of them are pretty ugly i.e. this one has three heatsinks when all you need is one. It looks like Darlington instead of a mosfet lol and 5V 7805 for the 555. Then you need a box, then you gotta move the pot etc or make it compatible with the old 0-1-2-3 speed switch. For a classic car it would be a bit of work, but worth it.

Getting cabin temp is actually hard to to do, where do you put the thermistor? I've seen it usually top back of the front seats, or rear-view mirror.
        Attached Files

Comment

the controller i'v seen is cased in a perforated case, but it could look similar to that inside i suppose.

Comment

Working...
          X