This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial

Sparkle Power FSP200-61GT 200watts total output. Looks a lot like the other Sparkle I posted above...

Last edited by willawake; 01-07-2006, 05:39 PM.
    Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Skyhawk CTX-400WCE - 330uF 200V CapXon caps on primary (inadequate), inadequate heatsinking and rectifiers, "GL" capacitors (CD287 series) - none bulging, but unit does not work. "DEER" is printed on PCB.

(Discussions should be posted elsewhere)
      Attached Files
      My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

MQ AX250W Item# PW602 standard ATX supply (no aux connectors)

Most of the caps in this PSU are Capxon, from the biguns to the littleuns. Still works fine, and has been in service for a good many years in a P-III 500mhz system. I've taken to opening every PSU that comes through here that's no longer under sealed warranty!!!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by willawake; 01-26-2006, 10:01 AM.
        Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Startech ATXPOWER300 (AP-300X) 250w with 4 and 6 pin aux connectors

Note that the 250w supply here has a thermal controller for the fan, whereas the 300w startech supply a posted a little while ago does not, even though they both claim to have temperature controlled fans. Hmm... something seems fishy there. The 300w supply was made 2/2002, the 250w was 11/2002. Both have bad caps on the output side.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by willawake; 01-26-2006, 10:00 AM. Reason: fix offsite hosted pics
          Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Seasonic S12 300W "pre cap hype" OST's on secondary side replaced. Nice unit otherwise.

Attached Files
            Last edited by willawake; 01-04-2006, 04:05 PM. Reason: fix offsite hosted pics

Comment

Seasonic S12 380W with High reliability caps. This one came with United Chemi-con KZE caps on secondary side

Attached Files
              Last edited by willawake; 01-04-2006, 04:02 PM. Reason: fix offsite hosted pics

Comment

This one's "special"...

Xtreme 550W-P4 ATX w/ AUX connectors (http://www.x-treme-int.com)

Found in a college student customer's clear plexy case. Don't know if it came w/ the case or not. No possible way it's rated for 550w. It weighs about a pound w/ cables... No bad caps... maybe because of the DUAL FANS???? WHEEEE!!!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by willawake; 01-26-2006, 09:57 AM. Reason: fix offsite hosted pics
                Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Zyxel GS-1008 8 Port Gigabit Switch Rackmount (pic 1)

Cisco 2950t 24 Port 10/100 2 port Gigabit Rackmount (pics 2 & 3)
                  Attached Files
                  capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Powmax 400W Power Supply

My gaming PC:
                    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
                    ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
                    PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
                    G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
                    TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
                    WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
                    ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
                    Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
                    Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
                    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
                    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

Powmax used to be better. Here's an old 300W Powmax-Leadman:

Comment

Brand new 600W Fortron FSP600-80GLC. Adda 80mm fan. Caps are nearly all CapXion with a couple OST on the secondary side. PCB is marked "FSP700-80GLC main-board."

Attached Files

Comment

Bought a new PSU from Newegg to have as a spare for when I get Antec's and L&C's in with dead caps... So, without further adeu-

Sparkle (FSP Group) FSP300-60THN 300w PSU

Only down side I see is that they don't appear to have used that great of caps... OST on the main input side, and a combination of OST, Teapo and some others on the output side... not very impressive for something that's supposed to be a decent PSU. I like the big, quiet 120mm fan, but I think that a through and through air pattern cools better (in the one end and out the other, instead of having to make a 90* turn in the middle...).

Anyway, that's my new entry...
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by willawake; 01-26-2006, 09:29 AM.
                          Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

FSP460-60PFN

this is the one that went straight into the mailserver a while ago. since i am servicing that today we can take a look........and damn i should have bought more.

double decker? full range baby...!
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by willawake; 04-22-2006, 03:28 PM.
                            capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Seventeam AT 230W, the fan is an 80mm Sunon. Made in about 1996. Looks decent; currently powering a Pentium 133.
                              Attached Files
                              The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

They sure like to cram those older design Fortron server units full of parts

The FSP550-60PLG and FSP550-60PLN are built much the same way. All three are still being made, so one shouldn't have trouble finding them if one wanted more.

Comment

I just can't believe that air can actually flow through that FSP PSU, willawake. Anyway, here's another one...

Powmax LP-7700 250W ATX12v PSU

Unknown main caps, no brand on them.

Jamicon output caps... all of them. Electrical tape is from replacing the stock fan that had seized.

PSU still working fine, voltages within tolerances. These PSUs are known to not deal well with low input voltages. We have a lab of 24 computers with these PSUs in them, and had a situation where the wiring in half the lab (lab is split in two, with two separate breakers feeding it) became faulty and caused a low-voltage situation. Instead of just shutting off, these PSUs compensated by pulling more and more amperage until they finally self-destructed. I think we lost 6 out of 12 that day, and one took a motherboard with it. When I say self-destructed, I mean that the main caps blew up and the PSUs belched smoke 'til the breaker coudl actually be shut off.

That side of the lab was rewired and has been running fine since.
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by willawake; 01-26-2006, 09:44 AM. Reason: offsite pics
                                  Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Originally posted by dood
                                    Unknown main caps, no brand on them.
                                    That looks like Matsushita (Panasonic). If they're not fake and the other caps are Jamicon then it's really not bad for a crap-brand like Powmax.
                                    Last edited by willawake; 01-16-2006, 05:20 AM.

Comment

AOpen ATX-250N 250W PSU (no AUX connectors)

YEC caps dead... 4 of 'em.

We have many of these PSUs aroudn the school, and I have two here in the office as spares... that's where these pics came from. Both of our used spares have dead caps, but were still working. SO much for spares
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by willawake; 01-26-2006, 09:44 AM. Reason: offsite pics
                                      Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Thermaltake PUREPOWER-480AD ATX12V PSU

Fancy brushed aluminum plate... functionality? Guess again...

Teapo main caps...

And teapos on the other side too...

This PSU has not been used yet, so unsure of its reliability. I'd guess it's not too bad. Comes with a PCI plate or 5 1/4" drive bay filler for a fan speed knob, i think.
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by willawake; 01-26-2006, 09:45 AM. Reason: offsite pics
                                        Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Sorry about that... I accidentally took the pictures a little too close to a printout of our corporate serial #'s for all our Microsoft products. So, here are the very definitely EDITED pictures!

Delta DPS-111AB 146.6w MicroATX PSU (no aux connectors)

PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE LARGE WHITE BLOCKS!!! Ahem..

I replace these with Sparkles... such as this one- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817103424

These supplies are used commonly in HP and Gateway MicroATX machines.
                                          Attached Files
                                          Last edited by willawake; 01-26-2006, 09:38 AM. Reason: offsite pics
                                          Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Working...
                                          X