Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell Inspiron 15 5567 unknown charger

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
    Going by your readings, PS_ID comminication is perfect and is reaching SIO. So you mean to say you are getting 3.6V-both sides of PR4 and if so, that could be the issue as voltage should be max 3.33V here. I doubt PQ6 is bad. Try removing PQ6 and then put a jumper wire between S & D pins of PQ6. Do you get 3.3V on PR4 Now??
    This dell was gone; but, two days ago arrived a dell Inspiron 17 5767, with same mainboard and the same problem; this time i was more carefull and determined to resolve problem.
    So, mcplslg123 you were very right; after i measure all the resistors from ps_id section, and all was ok, i take out pq6, put a wire between s and d, all ok, charger is seen, battery begin to charge; after that, i put an similar mosfet, N channel, an 2n7002 and everything is ok; thanks a lot.
    I upload a picture with measurements before and after change pq6.
    Also, thanks mon2 for info, i read it carefully.
    Attached Files

Comment

good job mate. PS_ID in dell is very simple concept and there are ways to fix it in few minutes.

Comment

thank you mcplslg123; when you know how to fix, all job is simple; but, i learning.

Comment

I think Dell / Foxconn or some bean counter thought to save a few pennies and not stuff PD4. This part is marked with the '@' prefix = no stuff ??

This was the sole ESD protection device on the PS_ID line from the outside world.

Transient likely took out PQ6. Nasty cost savings causing pilese of e-waste @ landfills.

Very nice resolution and a good thread for future readers.

Comment

thankyou mon2, for kind words; yeah, big company hit 2 things with missing PD4: a very tiny money reducing cost and a very big number of notebook get defective and not repaired, things known as planned obsolesce

Comment

I dnt have a replacement right now. Is there a way to short this and get the laptop to work?

Comment

See the image. My PQ5 IC is burnt, hence I am getting unknown adapter for a real Dell adapter that is 130W. My guess is PQ6 gate is not getting a voltage as PQ5 C is connected to PQ6 G
                Attached Files
                Last edited by tmmcv; 12-10-2022, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Hi. Do you have a meter for testing? Hot air tools? Is your logic board the same as referenced in this thread?

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
                    Hi. Do you have a meter for testing? Hot air tools? Is your logic board the same as referenced in this thread?
                    Meter yes, Logic board same yes.
                    But I dont have a hot air gun. I only have a soldering iron.
                    Also I updated post above to explain which IC is burnt, its the same as circuit image in first post

Comment

Ok - let us check some voltages.

PQ6 is acting like a SPST switch to allow / disallow the single wire communication between the external power adapter center pin and the logic board's EC controller.

By default, the GATE voltage on PQ6 should be ~5 volts, that is, it is HIGHER than the voltage that is passing through source / drain pins (~3 volts normally). This is correct for N-channel mosfets like PQ6 to ENABLE. If a high enough voltage is present on the PS_ID pin, then the resistor based voltage dividers will enable to turn on the transistor @ PQ5.

If PQ5 enables, then the GATE voltage on PQ6 will be 0 volts = turns OFF the PQ6 mosfet to protect the logic board.

Confirm the voltage on each pin of PQ6 to ground.

Meter in 10v or higher Dc voltage scale.

Red probe to pin to test; black to shield ground. Post each pin voltage.

Connect your adapter and then check the requested voltages on PQ6.

Comment

Ideally, a temp fix is to flux and remove the PQ6 mosfet. After this, apply a wire short between the SOURCE & DRAIN pins = side of the mosfet with the 2 pins.

With flux or even the tip of your soldering iron, you can carefully heat up each leg of PQ6 -> lift it up as the solder is in liquid mode and then remove it from the logic board. Not too much pressure or heat so that none of the PCB pads are lifted. Take care on this process.

If the voltage on the source & drain pins is 3v3 or lower then it may also be ok to just apply the short while the mosfet is still on the board.

Best if you can remove the mosfet so that (defective?) PQ6 does not influence the communication line voltages.

Assuming the power adapter PS_ID pin is 3v3 or under, the bypass trick should work.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by mon2; 12-10-2022, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Ok - let us check some voltages.

PQ6 is acting like a SPST switch to allow / disallow the single wire communication between the external power adapter center pin and the logic board's EC controller.

By default, the GATE voltage on PQ6 should be ~5 volts, that is, it is HIGHER than the voltage that is passing through source / drain pins (~3 volts normally). This is correct for N-channel mosfets like PQ6 to ENABLE. If a high enough voltage is present on the PS_ID pin, then the resistor based voltage dividers will enable to turn on the transistor @ PQ5.

If PQ5 enables, then the GATE voltage on PQ6 will be 0 volts = turns OFF the PQ6 mosfet to protect the logic board.

Confirm the voltage on each pin of PQ6 to ground.

Meter in 10v or higher Dc voltage scale.

Red probe to pin to test; black to shield ground. Post each pin voltage.

Connect your adapter and then check the requested voltages on PQ6.
                          Just checked after connecting 130w adapter and turning on.
                          PQ6 has exactly 3.0V on all 3 pins

Comment

Ok - try to short a wire between the source & drain pins which may be ok as the bypass.

If this does not work, then you will have to remove PQ6 and bridge the source & drain pads as per posted diagram.

Pin # 2 should have been ~5 volts since it is connected to +5VALW but proceed as noted.

Comment

Ideally, a temp fix is to flux and remove the PQ6 mosfet. After this, apply a wire short between the SOURCE & DRAIN pins = side of the mosfet with the 2 pins.

With flux or even the tip of your soldering iron, you can carefully heat up each leg of PQ6 -> lift it up as the solder is in liquid mode and then remove it from the logic board. Not too much pressure or heat so that none of the PCB pads are lifted. Take care on this process.

If the voltage on the source & drain pins is 3v3 or lower then it may also be ok to just apply the short while the mosfet is still on the board.

Best if you can remove the mosfet so that (defective?) PQ6 does not influence the communication line voltages.

Assuming the power adapter PS_ID pin is 3v3 or under, the bypass trick should work.
                              Forgive my ignorance but in the image you have shorted gate and source (2 pins on the same side)
                              Drain is on the other side. If I want to short drain and source shouldn't I jump the 2 top pins on opposite sides

Comment

My bad but check against the datasheet. Often schematics are supposed to be drawn in the same orientation of the true package of the component.

If you are sure, proceed as you have noted.

Comment

Yes, you are correct. Datasheet is attached.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Good to know! I tried to solder the connectors but couldnt due to my soldering skills.
                                    Everything is still working so thats good, I will go to a shop tomorrow and get it soldered.

Comment

I did end up shorting the pins. Confirmed by multimeter they are indeed shorted. But I still get unknown adapter on known good adapters.

Comment

Is pq6 still on the board?

Comment

Is pq6 still on the board?
                                          No, its removed

Comment

Working...
                                          X