KSGER T12 OLED - says ERROR or INVERT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KSGER T12 OLED - says ERROR or INVERT

Never mind, I did not initially see the cutout in the stand for the steel wool. Although as is, it seems one would bang the tip on the stand before getting used to that angle.

Comment

I find brass wool gives a shorter tip life, it scrapes off the plating, metal against metal. In our manufacturing plant, this was the case and techs were actually throwing the brass wool in the garbage because it kills tips fast.

A moist sponge has always worked the best for me, as long as you don't make a steam bath. "thermal shock" for a piece of plated metal does not bother it.

The T12 soldering stands have all the wrong dimensions - many mm gap so the handle droops or falls out. This machined aluminum one is stupid expensive, the tip hits hard, nothing to catch it from falling out, usual crap design.
      Russians made some mods of a cheap stand.
      Attached Files

Comment

brass wool is fine,
        but a lot of the cheaper stuff is brass or yellow-coated steel!!

steel is to hard - brass is soft.

Comment

Interesting. I have had the opposite experience. I had a 936 (knockoff of the hakko 936 but the "high end" kind of knockoff if you can call it that ) heater element die on me and a few tips that got oxidised because of plating cracks when using sponge. I did get good millage out of it though.

I switched to T12 and brass wool. I still haven't had a dead tip or bad tip in years.

I would guess it also comes down to how the brass wool is 'packed'? Having it loosely or tightly packed in its container would act differently? (analogues to different grit sandpaper)

This machined aluminum one is stupid expensive, the tip hits hard, nothing to catch it from falling out, usual crap design.
          Very true and very frustrating to use!
          Last edited by Spider1211; 03-03-2020, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
            I find brass wool gives a shorter tip life, it scrapes off the plating, metal against metal. In our manufacturing plant, this was the case and techs were actually throwing the brass wool in the garbage because it kills tips fast.

A moist sponge has always worked the best for me, as long as you don't make a steam bath. "thermal shock" for a piece of plated metal does not bother it.

The T12 soldering stands have all the wrong dimensions - many mm gap so the handle droops or falls out. This machined aluminum one is stupid expensive, the tip hits hard, nothing to catch it from falling out, usual crap design.
            Russians made some mods of a cheap stand.
            I have the one on the left is the one on the right any better and is it worth the money

I bought one also the angle is not correct and the opening is to wide to keep the soldering iron in place it a shame that it not made correctly because to me it would be a nice stand otherwise

I have use the brass wool and have not had a problem as such but if you clean your tip a lot it does slowly wear out your tip but I tend to run my tip a little bit hotter than maybe I should ( also have to clean the tip more often because of the higher temperature setting ) but I do not want to burn traces off the boards so there is a trade off which I willing to accept
            Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-03-2020, 09:19 PM.
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
            10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
            6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
            1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
            25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
            6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply
            1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
            2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
            All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by Spider1211 View Post

I switched to T12 and brass wool. I still haven't had a dead tip or bad tip in years.

If you swapped to T12 and brass wool at the same time (that's how the sentence reads grammatically), how can you come to a conclusion that the damp sponge (vs crap soldering iron bits) was causing you problems previously?
              Follow me on YouTube
              ------------------
              Learn Electronics Repair
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFX...R8UZ2vg/videos

Comment

another question,
                how are you all using the wool?

i wipe the tip across it, i dont stab it into the pot.

Comment

Originally posted by dicky96 View Post
                  If you swapped to T12 and brass wool at the same time (that's how the sentence reads grammatically), how can you come to a conclusion that the damp sponge (vs crap soldering iron bits) was causing you problems previously?
                  My bad, I was sleepy went I wrote this. I did repair my 936 but switched from sponge to brass wool. I had a similar tip (from same batch as the bad one). Never had any issue.

I switched to T12 at a later stage but kept using brass wool. I now keep the 936 as a back up.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                    another question,
                    how are you all using the wool?

i wipe the tip across it, i dont stab it into the pot.
                    Light stabbing on the 'loose' part of the wool. I used to wipe but sometimes solder would fly off.

Comment

Working...
                    X