Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OMFG, I have real internet!!

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
    As rural as I am, Until today I was one step above carrier pigeons.....
    (sigh) I can recall pulling down hundred megabyte distros on a 19.2Kb $1K PEP modem (1992).

And, if I think WAY back, working with a 300 *baud* acoustical coupler!

Amazing how sloppy we get as resources are thrown at us! :-/ I cringe when I think how many MILLIONS of instructions execute between my successive keystrokes! And, what I could have done with them, "back in the day"...

Comment

19.2k?
      i had that on a u.s.robotics HST dual-std.
      best modem there was - price was nothing compared to the phone bills!!!

Comment

I wish!! If I had that, I'd get a static IP and bring the BCN server home again!
        Is 100mbit enough for such? I thought one would want way more for a site the size of BCN.

No static IP though... I've heard rumors that one can get such with an additional monthly fee... but metronet (my provider) doesn't list it anywhere and I haven't had the balls to ask (my fear is they'll consider me a commericial customer who get pay 3-4x the price ). EDIT- just remembered the other reason why I never bothered; for what I'd want to do, most likely NoIP will suffice (minecraft and ftp)
        Last edited by ratdude747; 03-17-2020, 10:44 PM.
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

F**K centurylink, price keeps going up and I can't even get 1MB/sec.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
            19.2k?
            i had that on a u.s.robotics HST dual-std.
            best modem there was - price was nothing compared to the phone bills!!!
            In 1992 the USR offerings didn't do 19.2K.

And, regardless, it was an era when the "remote system's" choice of modem played an important role in the performance you'd expect from YOUR modem. I bought several different Telebit products as the systems ("genuine UNIX", back then) that I was connecting to all sported Telebits -- likely because of the modem's support for UUCP "g" (which took the PC's latency out of the remote transfer). This, despite the fact that I lived a few miles from the USR facility.

I still have a pair of FastBlazer 8840's (they are larger than many SFF PC's, nowadays) tucked away for "special uses" along with one or two QBlazers (the size of a golfball, and battery powered -- in a 30 year old device!).

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
              We had them some years back at their $20/month "introductory price". When they wanted to increase that to $60/month, we dumped them.

[We also had innumerable problems with line noise as our services are all below grade; rain caused all sorts of partial shorts!]

But, with typical CenturyLink (Qwest) incompetence, they ended up disconnecting our POTS at the same time! Thankfully, got it back after just one day of lost service...

Comment

WTF! 1 MB/s is 8 Mbit. Most people got that many moons ago! That really sucks!
                Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 03-18-2020, 02:58 AM.
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

My price hasn't budged in years.....except yesterday, it went up 10 bucks for 40x the speed. I begged them to take my money for that!

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                  Is 100mbit enough for such? I thought one would want way more for a site the size of BCN.

No static IP though... I've heard rumors that one can get such with an additional monthly fee... but metronet (my provider) doesn't list it anywhere and I haven't had the balls to ask (my fear is they'll consider me a commericial customer who get pay 3-4x the price ). EDIT- just remembered the other reason why I never bothered; for what I'd want to do, most likely NoIP will suffice (minecraft and ftp)
                  This site started on a 1.5mbit connection (T1) and ran on that until the offered the 10mbit. The site was probably a lot less busy back in those days, but I think 100mbit would get it....but 1gbit would be fine!!! If I ever did something like that, I'd be local to the server....so I wouldn't feel the slowness.
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                  Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                  http://folding.stanford.edu/
                  Team : 49813
                  Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

My price hasn't budged in years.....except yesterday, it went up 10 bucks for 40x the speed. I begged them to take my money for that!
                    What about the random $0.50 fees they add month by month? I think my price went up bit by bit over the years, probably $10 to $20 per month since first negotiated. It's gotten to the ridiculous point... and I'm still getting BS transfer rates...

Comment

What about the random $0.50 fees they add month by month? I think my price went up bit by bit over the years, probably $10 to $20 per month since first negotiated. It's gotten to the ridiculous point... and I'm still getting BS transfer rates...
                      Nope. It's been a flat $45/mo, 'price forever' promotion. After the 40mbit upgrade, it went to $55, same price fix.

When I first got their service 15 years ago, it was $19.95/mo for this slow sub-1mbit speed (most I could get, I was 15,000ft from the node). With taxes & other horseshit fees it was ~28. It nickeled and dimed its way up to ~50, and I called them to bitch a little.... They dropped it back to a flat $45 and locked it into their 'price forever' thingy. It hasn't budged in several years. I made sure that it stayed that way with this upgrade. I didn't want to cancel thhem.... They were notorious for not allowing you to come back for 'out of area' internet services if you canceled...this happened to several friends of mine that thought they would get better from AT$T's wireless....and when they didn't, tried to go back and couldnt. There's nothing else available here....I know it, and so do they....but overall, they've been ok.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

It's the "horseshit" fees that I'm talking about (along with taxes, but that's another thing), these things have been adding up over time. Nevermind what they said their pricing is, they tack on these fees over time.

BTW...Though I'm still using an Actiontec PK5000, I have C2000A-D waiting... waiting... for something that will probably never come...
                        Last edited by eccerr0r; 03-18-2020, 10:41 AM.

Comment

I'm still happy panda today. Updated the maps in my Garmin GPS, 3.6gb download. This typically was a 24-hour or so task. Finished in 2 hrs.

...and unlike before, the internet connection would be completely unusable during this download....this go-round, it didn't even interrupt the TV stream that my wife was watching....and browsing was still smooth. Ok, no biggie for you city dwellers.....but this is bigtime for us rural folk!!
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

as opposed to fake internet
                            Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                            ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                              as opposed to fake internet
                              ....a sub-1mbit internet connection in 2020....pretty darn fake.... Go back to that and report back to us!
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

They better give me *free* upgrade to 40Mbit+ if it ever comes around here... They don't even need to give me a new CPE, I already have :\

Grrr... F**K Centurylink.

Comment

Grrr... F**K Centurylink.
                                  I do think that about their support........
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

I'm still happy panda today. Updated the maps in my Garmin GPS, 3.6gb download. This typically was a 24-hour or so task. Finished in 2 hrs.

...and unlike before, the internet connection would be completely unusable during this download....this go-round, it didn't even interrupt the TV stream that my wife was watching....and browsing was still smooth. Ok, no biggie for you city dwellers.....but this is bigtime for us rural folk!!
                                    haha thats a nice way to stress test your new connection! good to see and know u got the advertised speed u paid for!

this is unlike other isps who fock around with the words "up to" in their service. e.g. if the isp claims "up to 50mbps", so even if they provide 0.001% of that, they have met their obligations because its "up to".

this is why now in same states in the US and in other countries, isps are allowed to advertise only the average speed their users will get. not some hypothetical "up to" figure that wont ever be reached and is unrealistic!

Comment

My slow Internet (with even slower "upgrade" offer) is also through CenturyLink. The Actiontec C1000A also sucks. It seems like it doesn't share bandwidth properly and will throttle the connection to random devices for no apparent reason. Sometimes a random computer will download at 600kbps and upload at full speed (even between computers on the network), and sometimes the speed drops to 8kbps in both directions.

Comment

I am surprised that being in 2020 there are still 1Mb connections .
                                        In 2011, a friend who lived in California only had 1Mb, it seems incredible that there were still such low-speed connections, at that time.
                                        Congratulations Topcat on the new connection , I hope it does not take long to give you at least 100Mb.
                                        Before, I had 20 Mb (I get real 17 Mb) and when the 1Gb fiber arrived with 300 Mb of upload, the change was abysmal, the files were uploaded in a moment.
                                        Before, uploading a photo in Badcaps took 5 minutes per photo, now I upload 1 photo in 1 second.
                                        Gaming pc:
                                        nVidia RTX 3080 TI, Corsair RM750I.
                                        Workshop PC:
                                        Intel core i5 8400, Intel SSD 256GB, nvidia gt1030, asus b365-a.
                                        Server:

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                                          My slow Internet (with even slower "upgrade" offer) is also through CenturyLink. The Actiontec C1000A also sucks. It seems like it doesn't share bandwidth properly and will throttle the connection to random devices for no apparent reason. Sometimes a random computer will download at 600kbps and upload at full speed (even between computers on the network), and sometimes the speed drops to 8kbps in both directions.
                                          I've got the C3000Z, I've noticed nothing like that today....and I did some massive downloading besides the Garmin maps. I downloaded 3x ~2gb Linux ISO's, one right after the other....always got a steady ~4MB/sec speeds. The Garmin download would occasionally slow to ~800k/sec and stay there a while.....but it'd eventually pick back up....I think it was their site.
                                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                          Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                          X