Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OMFG, I have real internet!!

Originally posted by lti View Post
    My slow Internet (with even slower "upgrade" offer) is also through CenturyLink. The Actiontec C1000A also sucks. It seems like it doesn't share bandwidth properly and will throttle the connection to random devices for no apparent reason. Sometimes a random computer will download at 600kbps and upload at full speed (even between computers on the network), and sometimes the speed drops to 8kbps in both directions.
    Wired or wireless?
    If you're not testing with Ethernet direct connections, you need to remove the randomness of wireless bandwidth.

I found my crappy Centurylink connection is fairly consistent and up to the rated speed, and it increased slightly after filtering unwanted packets through wired link. Wireless, there's some variability.

Comment

It happened a few times on Ethernet, and I've also had a few random reboots. The wireless connection is random, but that isn't really surprising. It isn't as consistently bad as the other router I have, which is a Linksys with some known vulnerabilities that they apparently don't care about.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
        I've got the C3000Z, I've noticed nothing like that today....and I did some massive downloading besides the Garmin maps. I downloaded 3x ~2gb Linux ISO's, one right after the other....always got a steady ~4MB/sec speeds. The Garmin download would occasionally slow to ~800k/sec and stay there a while.....but it'd eventually pick back up....I think it was their site.
        The fallacy with fast connections is you're still at the mercy of the host at the other end of the line. E.g., a torrent seeding at 20Kb/s still only delivers 20Kb/s regardless of how fat your pipe is!

[Also have heard that some ISPs (big names) inhibit or throttle torrents so VPN seems mandatory -- and, there's no guarantee that they won't recognize the VPN and throttle *it*!]

The "router/modem" that we got from CL had a bug tht effectively dropped connections after some internal counter overflowed. I tried many times to DL (not torrent) a 9G iso and it always crapped out in the same place. Eventually swapped out the modem and the problem went away. Particularly annoying when you can't "resume" the failed DL!

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
          Eventually swapped out the modem and the problem went away.
          I'm ASSuming you called them with the MAC address so they could tie it to your account....it's not like the old cable modem days where you could just plug in your own modem and it would work...

That said, I've never attempted a single 9gb download on a 1mbit connection...so that would be virgin territory for me....but I did grab a good 10~11gb worth today in multiple downloads, nothing exploded.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by kevin! View Post
            Before, uploading a photo in Badcaps took 5 minutes per photo, now I upload 1 photo in 1 second.
            What? Unless that was a very big file for a photo, it sounds like you were crawling at only 56K speeds previously, when uploading to BCN. A while ago, there was a server problem that caused attachments to crawl at dial-up speeds.
            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

That said, I've never attempted a single 9gb download on a 1mbit connection...so that would be virgin territory for me....but I did grab a good 10~11gb worth today in multiple downloads, nothing exploded.
              I routinely pull down 9-30GB DLs. But, not in the browser as it (FF) gags on objects that large. Usually, the server is the bottleneck -- or, something (else) along the route.

I hear some ISPs are now metering connections so my big files might cause me headaches if I move... (and the idea of using a PHONE for this stuff is just ludicrous!)

Comment

Kind of funny - this reminds me of something in the old Qwest days (I didn't write Qworst because back then, it was fairly good unlike now.)

I've always been downloading large multi GB files, even when I had 640Kb downlink. Yes it took forever. This is with my old Cisco 675 DSL CPE that used CAP, now obsolete now and was one of the few CPE that could be used.

Well, the Cisco 675 worked fine for "normal" use and "normal" browsing, but when the number of connections rose, it choked. I found out when I started using a brand new transfer protocol...

BitTorrent.

This was the best way to reliably grab multi GB files. The first few bytes coming in, the 675 handled it fine. But after a while of the swarm, the 675 would lock up and die.

Shortly after starting to use BitTorrent, Things started getting bad with Qwest and became Qworst when they forced us to go to the ADSL standard DMT, which it in itself is not a bad thing. I had to locate a Cisco 678, and well it had the same problem.

When Centurylink came around they at least gave me an Actiontec GT701 when I started complaining about the 678. The GT701 worked better, though I could still crash it under certain circumstances but it wasn't as flaky as the Cisco.

Subsequently I've been able to find several cheap Actiontecs to swap out, until finally the PK5000 which actually has been working very well. Not the best, but it's been extremely stable for me - every glitch I've had with my DSL was on Centurylink's end. I've started automated downloading torrents without worrying about them crashing my DSL.

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                  What? Unless that was a very big file for a photo, it sounds like you were crawling at only 56K speeds previously, when uploading to BCN. A while ago, there was a server problem that caused attachments to crawl at dial-up speeds.
                  It had 600Kb of upload, but it was terribly slow and with many connection drops, and also adding that you have to upload the photo to a server located in the USA (I reside in Spain) the upload width is terribly reduced.
                  You're right, possibly also because of the network problems with BCN being slower than expected.
                  The photos that I usually upload are between 10Mb to 15Mb maximum, but I swear it took at least 2 or 5 minutes (depending on the photo), to upload for example 10 photos I had to leave it about 15 minutes on the clock.
                  Although the connection also went down when I uploaded a WhatsApp photo, my old ADSL was very unstable.
                  Last edited by kevin!; 03-19-2020, 11:20 AM.
                  Gaming pc:
                  nVidia RTX 3080 TI, Corsair RM750I.
                  Workshop PC:
                  Intel core i5 8400, Intel SSD 256GB, nvidia gt1030, asus b365-a.
                  Server:

Comment

The photos that I usually upload are between 10Mb to 15Mb maximum, but I swear it took at least 2 or 5 minutes (depending on the photo)
                    Looks like dial-up speeds! Or ISDN speeds if lucky! (or almost that slow!)
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

for those getting inconsistent speeds and crashes, could the problem be an overheating wireless lan asic chip or overheating wan asic chip? i.e. when it overheats, it throttles to slow down and cool off. when it does cool below the asic's tjunction temperature, normal speed service resumes?

i've experienced all of the abovementioned issues by other users on various CPEs. was wondering what causes those issues. could also be shitty firmware design, corner cutting in hardware among other things.

CPEs that drop connections when u have too many or when u bittorrent could be due to insufficient onboard ram in the router/modem. e.g. it runs out of working ram, so it drops some connections to free up ram.

as a side note, china sells set-top box/router/modem cooling fans powered by 5v from the usb port of the relevant device. this is one i have in 140mm dimension: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33004512954.html

its also being sold in sizes of 80mm, 92mm and 120mm as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
                        for those getting inconsistent speeds and crashes, could the problem be an overheating wireless lan asic chip or overheating wan asic chip? i.e. when it overheats, it throttles to slow down and cool off. when it does cool below the asic's tjunction temperature, normal speed service resumes?

i've experienced all of the abovementioned issues by other users on various CPEs. was wondering what causes those issues. could also be shitty firmware design, corner cutting in hardware among other things.

CPEs that drop connections when u have too many or when u bittorrent could be due to insufficient onboard ram in the router/modem. e.g. it runs out of working ram, so it drops some connections to free up ram.

as a side note, china sells set-top box/router/modem cooling fans powered by 5v from the usb port of the relevant device. this is one i have in 140mm dimension: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33004512954.html

its also being sold in sizes of 80mm, 92mm and 120mm as well.
                        Very doubtful, especially as most modems, routers and APs are Gigabit capable. Inconsistent torrent speeds is usually down to incorrect configuration although it can be the ISP throttling them.

I can't remember ever replacing a piece of routing hardware due to slowness/overheating, however I've lost count of the times slowness has been attributed to the PC with malware/stuck Windows update or crappy phone line. There's been a few cases of poorly configured devices and a handful that were contention ratio issues.

Comment

Back in February, I got another 'free' upgrade for Comcast. Over 300Mb but I average 120Mb over wifi due to distance from router. It's in the basement and the last test was done in 2nd floor master bedroom. Of course, my speeds are much better on the wired side of my network.
                          Attached Files
                          Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

Originally posted by delaware74b View Post
                            Back in February, I got another 'free' upgrade for Comcast. Over 300Mb but I average 120Mb over wifi due to distance from router. It's in the basement and the last test was done in 2nd floor master bedroom. Of course, my speeds are much better on the wired side of my network.
                            I don't like you very much right now....but @ 40mbit (which I'm actually getting), I'm still happy!

<--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

The ISP has been laying fiber all over the place out here last year. They finally lit it all up. The connection I had (on a good day, I'm rural) was 1mbit (never achieved those speeds). It's now 40mbit!! HOLY DOG SHIT!!

That is all, carry on with life!
                              I don't get to say this often... and it's probably a case of the pot calling the kettle black, but....... WELCOME to the modern age.
                              (Internet-wise anyways )

Man, I now feel bad about uploading all of those in-line pictures in some of my threads. Pretty sure you probably cussed every time I did it. At least they weren't the worst when it comes to size - actually far from that, as my Canon PowerShot A20 is only a 2.1 MP camera, and I rarely shoot at the highest quality (due to small CF card space.) The phone pics have to be the worst - they are huge and take up a lot of space, yet often aren't focused well (though I have to say, most modern phones DO actually take better macro pictures than my PS A20.)

As rural as I am, Until today I was one step above carrier pigeons.....

Or tin cans with a long string.

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                              Congrats... I have 100mbit up and down... and that's the base level fiber :p
                              Yeah, I think that's what I have now too. Not sure, though. It is, in fact the "lowest" speed option from Verizon here in the area. They have packages with faster connections, but I simply don't need that. And TBH, I could probably do just fine with 50/50 mbps, but they don't offer it. Cox Communications has slower (cable) internet, but the price they offered me was pretty much the same as that from Fios for a much faster internet. So obviously it didn't make sense to go with Cox. I did have them before, and at least I can say they have good customer service.

Originally posted by dragos2009 View Post
                              well here i get 1gbit fiber down with 500mbps up for 10$ mo fiber to the home dynamic ip tho in some rural areas the isp serves 100mbps ethernet over cable, most of them have ftth like the cities
                              SE Europe has always been pretty decent with internet speeds and prices, at least in the bigger cities, thanks to lots of competition and lax cabling laws.

I remember when one of my cousins was living there and had the first "generation" of fast internet. Back then, he said you'd see cable companies doing anything to get you cheap, fast internet. And due to lax laws regarding laying cables (and anything really), many companies often just hung and swung cables between apartment buildings. Was a mess, really. But got the job done. Wasn't uncommon at all for the cheaper "ISPs" to put several routers and modems under a bucket on the roof of some apartment building and then run long CAT6/5/e cables to individual apartments. A lot of people lost their computers in thunderstorms from those cheaper providers.

But now for what I hear, things have gotten slightly more under control there. Also, many of the bigger ISPs had bought out the smaller ones, and some of them have cleaned their acts with the messy cables everywhere (or rather left the old cables, but installed new ones the proper way.)

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                I don't get to say this often... and it's probably a case of the pot calling the kettle black, but....... WELCOME to the modern age.
                                (Internet-wise anyways )

Man, I now feel bad about uploading all of those in-line pictures in some of my threads. Pretty sure you probably cussed every time I did it.
                                Nah, that didn't bother me....I did it a lot myself...but they were always resized, usually no larger than 1280x960. It annoyed me when someone would post a dozen inline that hadn't been resized.....and there was 40mb+ of pictures.....
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                                  Looks like dial-up speeds! Or ISDN speeds if lucky! (or almost that slow!)
                                  Yes, the upload speed I had in ADSL was ridiculous. And that the ISP promised me 640Kbps upload.
                                  It was never fast, plus it always had a lot of ping.
                                  The Movistar client boxes (Owner of the ADSL infrastructures) are mostly poorly closed, they get humidity, water, there were always cuts and problems in the network.
                                  Once I published a photo of a poorly closed box on the ISP forum and the technician came to my house angry complaining that he should not have taken a photo ...
                                  Now with the fiber (the infrastructure is not from Movistar) the problems are over, the best change I could make.
                                  This photo is not mine, but almost all client pair boxes are found if:
                                  Last edited by kevin!; 03-22-2020, 10:04 AM.
                                  Gaming pc:
                                  nVidia RTX 3080 TI, Corsair RM750I.
                                  Workshop PC:
                                  Intel core i5 8400, Intel SSD 256GB, nvidia gt1030, asus b365-a.
                                  Server:

Comment

This photo is not mine, but almost all client pair boxes are found if:
                                    That looks like shit you can expect to see with non-fiber boxes in the U.S.!

The worst are probably the old DSL boxes.

¡Parece una mierda que puedes esperar ver con cajas sin fibra en los EE. UU.!

Lo peor son probablemente las viejas cajas DSL.

¡pérdida de paquetes en todas partes!

¡no me gusta!
                                    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 03-22-2020, 10:31 AM.
                                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Working...
                                    X