Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sony KDL-40W3000 no picture (+ possibly no sound)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sony KDL-40W3000 no picture (+ possibly no sound)

that indicates that the tabs on the side are bad. if you lucky, the set may be save.... read up tab removal. note... there are only tabs and no boards.... based on my 46. If there are no tabs on the side, then the "cutoff tape" method may work. You just need to place a bit of tape on cable going from the tcon to the panel... strategically so that it blocks some of the signals going thru.... this is trial and error, but usually people are successful some where no the end rows -5-10 pins wide or so.
    Last edited by budwich; 03-26-2020, 04:46 PM.

Comment

SONY FIX2 chassis training manual:

KDL-40W3000 service manual: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/78...l-40w3000.html
      Attached Files
      Last edited by budm; 03-26-2020, 06:02 PM.
      Never stop learning
      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

We're on the right track, I have full picture on the TV. I looked at other threads on cutting tabs and the tape-off method. I tried the non-destructive tape method and it worked.
        I started by covering a lot of pins to figure out which side of the connector to block and then started to narrow the piece of tape to minimize the number of pins blocked.
        I got it down to 2-3 pins near the right side of the connector, but not on the edge.

Now I still have some trouble on that side of the screen. There is a large-ish black blob in the lower left corner extending on that whole side. Also color and brightness/contrast are inconsistent between the sides and inconsistent across the left side. There is also some lag in the picture, there are trails left behind. Is this caused by the tape on the LVDS connector or is this an underlying problem?

Secondly, is it still worth it to investigate the tabs or is the tape trick sufficient?

Pic 1: first tape placement
        Pic 2: refined tape placement
        Pic 3: result
        Attached Files

Comment

With the tape method working then you probably don't have the side tabs, some have a good picture after they had to play with tape placement a lot to get it just right.
          Last edited by nomoresonys; 03-27-2020, 06:12 AM.

Comment

did you actually check to see if you have tabs along the side of this set? they can only be seen (easily) with the front bezel removed. It is likely that a small set does not have them but my 46 did have them. As mentioned, the tape cutoff method usually doesn't work with a set that has tabs. Since you did get something, it would appear that perhaps there are no tabs... BUT the last picture kind of shows a picture which "almost" appears to indicate an side tab issue (unpowered).

One other question, do you know exactly were the tape was (and how much used) to get the first picture.... this might help someone else.

Comment

I did not check if the set has tabs, I removed the plastic bezel but there was a second metal bezel that required the rails and stand to be removed. Since it was already late and I had a semi-working TV I called it a night.
              Today I presented the TV and it is working enough to be enjoyed so it might be a while when I can access it again, but I will definitely do some more digging.

As for the tape, I used about 1.5 cm of tape to start with and covered all the pins starting from the rightmost edge of the LVDS connector (first I tried the left edge but there was no change). Then I started narrowing the tape but still covering all pins starting from the right edge until I had a black picture again. Then I took a very small strip of tape and placed it on the left edge of the last know good tape location, fiddled a bit with the placement and now have a 1-2 mm wide tape covering a couple pins of the LVDS connector.

When I get the opportunity to open the set up again I will take some pictures.

Comment

OK... thanks. I don't mean for any extra work. IF it is good enough for you then that is all that matters. The first picture that you show is much like a picture that another person has shown for a 65in sony tv (imagine that) and I was interested to understand where / how you got that picture as it may help in understanding what is happening with the other set. Don't play too much with the set as you risk permanently damaging the panel (physically). One other thing, if you input a test pattern (eg. smpte color bars), this may give more clues as to what is happening.

Glad you got this far as saving a tv from the dump is a good accomplishment.

One other point, note the thread on the sony 65 tv. He had a similar problem. For your further information / investigation, in that thread, the poster measured some voltages on the tcon, comparing both side of the set: good and bad. In particular, he looked at VGL / VGH and found discrepancies. IF you ever get back into the set, you might check / compare those on your set to see what they look like.
                Last edited by budwich; 03-27-2020, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Looks good. Glad to see that you are making forward progress on this. I second @budwich's comment about risking damage to the unit.

YouTube has a good selection of test video (bars, gradients, etc).
                  -Thomas
                  I'm a hardware engineer focused on networking equipment for my day job. I void warranties and fix consumer electronics for fun.

Comment

Working...
                  X