Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2011 13" A1369 820-3023-A Liquid Damage

Hello All,

Got my hands on a Macbook Air with a fair amount of liquid damage around the SMC.

First boot produced constant high fan, endless loading boot logo, and no trackpad / keyboard response even after SMC reset and PRAM reset with a usb keyboard. I was able to run ASD which showed 2 fan errors along with a Ts0P sensor failure. A little research revealed that Ts0P is the temperature sensor in the trackpad and will cause the fan to run high, which makes sense since the trackpad cable was one of the most corroded areas. Without a matching donor board, the first thing I did was reflow the SMC to attempt to get more life out of the board and hope for the best.

After the reflow and an ISO bath, I was able to succesfully boot the machine. Everything now works properly except for the trackpad, keyboard, and WiFi(no hardware installed error). I decided to check out the rails on the keyboard connector (J5700) to see if they were all present, and discovered that half of them were not there and PP5V_TPAD_FILT was reading low at 3.3V. I traced the lines back to U5700 and saw that there was still some corrosion present and the readings were way off, so I replaced that IC with another one I got off a different logic board. Checked the connector and all voltages are present, but still nothing from the trackpad / keyboard.

I've got a top case on the way and when it arrives it will hopefully take care of the trackpad / keyboard and the fan.

IF that all goes well, there's still the issue of the missing WiFi. I've checked around the WLAN circuit and everything is in range, unless I'm missing something.

My questions are:

1. If the top case doesn't sort out the trackpad / keyboard issue, where do I go from there?

2. If everything checks out with the WiFi, could I have a partially bad SMC?

As always, any guidance or input would be greatly appreciated!
    "You can only learn so much doing simple recapping and fixes. Ideally you want a really hard one to fix where you end up with a lot of dead ends and frustration. Then, and only then, do you learn how things really work."

-retiredcaps
Working...
X