Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Struggling with a soldering job, need help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Struggling with a soldering job, need help.

Hello, although I've never been formally taught soldering techniques, etc... I've not really run into too much trouble soldering, with the exception of this job...

I've got a supposed blown transistor on my fuel pump on my car and I'm trying to replace it. It's a gel encased circuit booard with very fine connections. Please see photo uploaded.

I've cleaned up the area that I'm working on with alcohol scraped off the wires, etc..

I cannot get any solder to now stick any of the connections, I've used various grades of solder and flux combination, nothing seems to work, can someone help me out with this?

Many thanks,
    Attached Files

Re: Struggling with a soldering job, need help.

First of all you need to clean the terminals with very fine sand paper but do not carry away with doing this or if you have a ( preferred method ) —> cloth power tool wheel clean the terminals until they shine
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 02-06-2020, 03:41 PM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Those look like aluminum wires, you will have a hard time soldering them. I don't see how you are gonig to replace a transistor die, that is not a printed circuit with transistors installed on it.
      Last edited by R_J; 02-06-2020, 05:01 PM.

Comment

soldering to ceramics needs silver loaded solder or the pad can disintegrate.
        to solder to aluminium and other tricky metals you need a flux-core with Halide in it.

Comment

Thank you for the replies, I am replacing the blown transistor with a surface mount one.

So far I have cut the Alu wires and cleaned the board up I will try with silver loaded solder

Comment

From the picture, it looks like bonded wire. Can you please highlight on the picture where exactly are you planning to solder?

If its an aluminium substrate/solder pad, you wont be able to solder using conventional methods. I'ld go for conductive glue/epoxy in that case.

Something like this: https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/in/...adhesives.html
            Last edited by Spider1211; 02-11-2020, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Have you done it ? I have same VP44 pump and I can help you

Comment

Working...
              X