Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PS3 Fat RLOD reflow and now overheating message

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
    A bit OT, but you know, I've never even thought about there being TIM between IHS and the die... is that true on all CPUs? I guess it must be... and how long before it degrades and needs replacing?
    Been getting word from the internetz that Intel was using solder for the Sandy Bridge processors and that Intel decided to go a more lax route with the Ivy Bridge processors.
    Possibly the same with Haswell.
    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 10-04-2014, 04:16 PM.
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I've not dabbled in desktops for a good few years, but IME, most of the high-end C2D chips had the die soldered to the IHS. On the smaller, lower-performing ones however (particularly E2xxx series), there was thermal paste between IHS and die, and the IHS could be removed by using a sharp blade. I removed the IHS from an E2180 back in the day. Rumor has it it's the same with Ivy Bridge and Haswell too.
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Looks like Phenom II CPUs are soldered as well (http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=294013)

That makes me happy, since that's what I run. So there should be no TIM to degrade\dry out.
        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
        -David VanHorn

Comment

I'm back!

Well, started to figure how to get that CPU IHS out of there without damaging anything...
          And after searching what I had at home, decided to go with ... a fishing line !
          A good quality one, and ... it worked !
          Just placed it on the corners and started working it arround like a chainsaw.
          It starts slowly cutting the edges ... and even slower on the middle ...but it's safe and some minutes will do it!
          Some pics are attached ... on the first one, we cant see it well, but its just two tools with the fishing line attached to permit to work it arround the IHS without hurting our hands

Now some cleaning, some good paste ... and ready to test!

I'll post back results!
          Hope these results can help anyone with this problem!

Cheers
          Attached Files
          Last edited by magneh; 10-05-2014, 06:18 PM.

Comment

cool! i will adopt your method for my next ones. the chip looks really intact, with a modified blade there always were scuffs and cuts.

Comment

Well, applied new Thermal Paste, assembled it just for testing, and
              it turned without problems for about half an hour!

Now I see the way to close this console!
              Gonna assemble it completly tomorrow and fire it up for a couple of hours and confirm that the repair is good.

Thanks to all who gave the precious inputs!

Comment

Good job, I learned some things too
                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                -David VanHorn

Comment

Glad to help, dont forget to put the ac socket first before assembling.

Comment

Working...
                  X